Return of The Jedi

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
SuccubusYuri
Officer

Re: Return of The Jedi

Post by SuccubusYuri »

clearspira wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:09 pm [Carrie Fisher is irrelevant to a discussion about the CHARACTER of Princess Leia
This whole conversation thread was trolling as of this moment.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Yeah, it's like claiming that you can discuss the Joker without mentioning Heath Ledger. I bet s/he actually believes that too.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

Carrie Fisher is one of the raunchiest women you'd have ever met

and for the record Carrie found the outfit hilarious, especially when it came to the whole shooting in the 80 degree weather... with some poor son of a gun walking around in Black wool.
_____

The Brand Management did hurt ROTJ storywise in certain places

Some people have argued that Luke's 'triumph' over the Emperor is lessen by the fact that the Rebels would have killed him anyway

Now granted thats cause originally the scenarios were Seperate Battles Lightyears away from each other

Luke would have the Jedi Victory on in the Imperial Palace at the heart of the Empire
while the Rebels would Triumph against all odds against the bulk of Imperial fleet

The EU and it always trying to tie everything together has gone through every loop to try making The Emperor's Death the pivotal moment 'Battle Mediatation, Fate alteration blah blah blah'

One aspect I always find funny about the EU it seems to always paint the later half of the space battle that the majority of the Imperial Fleet DIDN'T Turtle around the Death Star 2 in a desperate attempt to protect it

Except Thats why the Executor is capable of crashing into it, once the shield went down the entire battle line bumrushed forward

I suppose its one of those, well if the majority of the Fleet goes down when the Death star blows... You don't have much of an Imperial Remnant
Last edited by Wargriffin on Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Well, it could be false rumors admittedly. People were making things up long before the internet. So I'll concede to the point for now. It could very well have come from angry fanboys or fangirls furious their Feminist hero was reduced to something more feminine, while as I've said, I didn't like Leia. LOL.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

I never found The Empire Strikes Back to be all that complex or emotional. Complexity and character drama really aren't Star Wars's strong suits. Return of the Jedi, being a non-stop roller coaster of pulpy action, with the emotional beats it has being very large yet simple, is exactly what I want out of these movies. In my opinion, that opening sequence on Tatooine is the Platonic ideal of Star Wars.

As for the Special Editions, my main issue with the changes is that they're immersion breaking. Special effects in movies are always going to require some suspension of disbelief, especially when the effects are decades old, as even the Special Edition effects are now. I can watch a movie full of puppets, matte paintings, and full-body prosthetics, and another full of CGI machines, characters, and landscapes, and immerse myself in each to the point where I no longer notice the slightly unreal nature of the effects. But when a movie keeps switching back and forth between 70's/80's style effects and 90's style CGI, the difference between the two becomes incredibly obvious, which makes both kinds of effects' status as effects difficult to overlook.

It's most evident in Jabba's palace where the CGI alien singer shares the screen with aliens created through puppets, makeup, or animatronics, but it's also there in the climax. When we shift from the CGI cityscapes full of cheering crowds to the original scenes on Endor's forest . . . those scenes just don't look like they're part of the same world, or the same movie. Watching them, I can't help being reminded that what I'm watching is just a movie, and my immersion in the story takes a serious hit.

But even aside from all that, I also have to agree with Chuck that the original Sarlaac? Way creepier than the one with the beak.

EDIT: However, regarding Chuck's question about whether filmmakers are just too used to using CGI now when a puppet or practical effect could be just as effective for less money: the technology is at the point now where using CGI to render a monster or effect can often be cheaper than physically building something and getting it to work right on set.
ninjadeadbeard
Redshirt

Post by ninjadeadbeard »

"Many Bothans died to bring us this information."
"All Bothans are good for is dying! I sent three of them out to get me coffee last week. All dead!"
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

Ya know I want to live in the universe where GL did just make 1 2 3 & 7 8 9 back to back with the OT still fresh

granted that probably be the universe where GL's life didn't fall apart
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

RotJ is an odd one to me in that I saw it the most, and given that it has the most fleet action, it always stuck in my mind as the one I liked the most as a kid, but looking back I can only see it's weaknesses and what it could have been.

With that said I have fond memories of the relaunch toys in the mid 90s and wished we'd seen more of Jabba's place, even if I found it silly that it was off in the middle of nowhere on a desert planet of all places.
SFDebris wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:39 pm
Yukaphile wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:19 pm Seriously, if he hated the Special Edition so much, why not stick a disclaimer on the front of the review saying, "I hate it, won't review" and then just review the original unedited versions?
I hate being an geography nut and looking at inkblots, all they come off as if mirrored islands and continents. :(
Yukaphile wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:12 pm I feel if they were going to give her that outfit, they should have made it more... serviceable,
They did.

Fan serviceable~
MrL1992
Officer

Post by MrL1992 »

I prefer the new ending music over the original, Sue me.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Me too. Yub Nub never did it for me.