Should Kathleen Kennedy be let go from the Star Wars megaproject?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Deledrius
Captain

Re: Should Kathleen Kennedy be let go from the Star Wars megaproject?

Post by Deledrius »

Yukaphile wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:01 pm Just bring back Legends and I will be happy.
What do you want from it that you don't already have?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

It just makes me angry that they're cherry-picking Legends elements to throw into the new canon. Why not do their own thing, or declare Legends a "separate but still canon continuity?"
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

Yukaphile wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:53 pm It just makes me angry that they're cherry-picking Legends elements to throw into the new canon. Why not do their own thing, or declare Legends a "separate but still canon continuity?"
I do not know if it has been mentioned in this thread. And I did not read it directly. But I have heard it is because much of legends goes in odd directions. Like killing Chewie for being hard to write dialogue for. So unless you want the Falcon scrapped and Chewie dead offscreen. Then yeah, they are cherry picking.

And I am slightly glad they did not go with the Thrawn trilogy. It needs our heroes younger and there would be people griping about making a movie of a novel and comparing them. Again it might be better to cherry pick the ideas than to recreate them.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Some things make no sense. Like not adapting the Yuuzhan Vong. Seriously? Why not? Or their recent attempts to try and remake KOTOR to shoehorn that into "the new canon." It just feels like they're twisting the timeline rather than making it an alternate timeline with their shenanigans. It's poor leadership. Which others can attest to.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Nealithi wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:22 am
Yukaphile wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:53 pm It just makes me angry that they're cherry-picking Legends elements to throw into the new canon. Why not do their own thing, or declare Legends a "separate but still canon continuity?"
I do not know if it has been mentioned in this thread. And I did not read it directly. But I have heard it is because much of legends goes in odd directions. Like killing Chewie for being hard to write dialogue for. So unless you want the Falcon scrapped and Chewie dead offscreen. Then yeah, they are cherry picking.

And I am slightly glad they did not go with the Thrawn trilogy. It needs our heroes younger and there would be people griping about making a movie of a novel and comparing them. Again it might be better to cherry pick the ideas than to recreate them.
Only the worst gets as odd as TLJ.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

Slash Gallagher wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:41 am Only the worst gets as odd as TLJ.
Point
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

Nealithi wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:22 am And I am slightly glad they did not go with the Thrawn trilogy. It needs our heroes younger and there would be people griping about making a movie of a novel and comparing them. Again it might be better to cherry pick the ideas than to recreate them.
The thing about adaptations is that they don't have to be exactly like the source material. The Thrawn trilogy could have been done with some changes. You'd have to make changes anyway so that each movie could be it's own self-contained episode, as the books are essentially just one big book that's been split up into three.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Or the Darth Bane trilogy being one big book. MCU is doing well with this model. No reason Star Wars couldn't have. Or hell, the Dark Empire trilogy. CGI Luke to have a younger appearance, and bam.
KashyBoy101
Redshirt

Post by KashyBoy101 »

Slash Gallagher wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:37 am
It just attempted to do that with the whole book burning and Kylo speech.

There is a difference between taking a a warrior and floating an apple. I don't recall super stus and sues like Rey in the EU existing as Jedi or even Sith.

In star Wars? Outside of SW in important franchises of the scale of Star Wars?
How? The purpose of the book burning scene isn't destroying the past or the precepts of Star Wars (hell, the books aren't even burned because Rey has them). It's because Luke is *obsessed* with the past to the point where he's consumed by it and the burning of the tree is Yoda's way of telling him to let go.

Also Kylo Ren is the villain. You're not exactly supposed to AGREE with what he says.

As for Force savants in the EU... I mean, there's Darth Zannah from the Bane series who instinctively used the Force to kill two fully trained Jedi Knights when she was like... six years old? Karr Vastor from the Clone Wars comics who was never trained but whose natural affinity with the Force was so great that he fought Mace Windu to a draw. Corran Horn from the X-Wing novels who used a mind-trick on a Stormtrooper without knowing what he was doing or how he was doing it. Then of course there's one of the biggest EU favorites of them all, Kyle Katarn, who defeated seven Dark Jedi (one of whom was a former Jedi Master) with basically no training at all. The list goes on but those are the ones that stick out the most in my mind.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

Heck, even Luke himself was naturally using the force to a crazy degree without training without even knowing it, given that he was regularly hitting 2 meter womp rats in a flying speeder.... and he thought that was easy! He had no idea that was considered impossible until the guy next to him thought it was an impossible shot.

It's not super mega badass beats all enemies feat by any means, but still impressive.