Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

Post by Yukaphile »

I do think some of Chuck's jokes are offensive. And then he wonders why sometimes he was labeled a sexist. Not that I think he is, but when he says Picard has "hands like a woman" to imply weakness and admits to being "unapologetically male" and how even in the 24th century, no man should get upset over being beaten up by a woman, well... it does remind me that he was born in 1973. He is a wee bit old-fashioned in a few areas. Mostly modern, but still. I never underestimate females and there's no shame in admitting that some girls are so tough they can kick men's ass, or how you are allowed to bitch about being hurt, even if it's getting "beat up by a girl." I also think he missed the point in Angel One, in that female bodies really are oversexualized, and that's something we gotta change as a society. Excuses on how "the female form is just more aesthetically pleasing" comes from social conditioning and not genetics. By big corporations and their ads bombarding us, I'd daresay brainwashing us on what they think is sexy, in order to sell their cosmetic products, that are harmful to people anyway.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

*cough* They often don't like being called ''females'' *cough*
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I call men males sometimes. :P
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Ikiry0
Officer

Post by Ikiry0 »

Robovski wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:57 pm *cough* They often don't like being called ''females'' *cough*
It's one of those words I can't read any more without hearing a Ferengi say it.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Ikiry0 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:48 am
Robovski wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:57 pm *cough* They often don't like being called ''females'' *cough*
It's one of those words I can't read any more without hearing a Ferengi say it.
Hoomon Feeemales!
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Oh! Here's one. I disagree... because it's objectively false. Yes. I'm smarter than Chuck in this case, so strap your boots in and get ready. Now, I'm uncertain whether this was in the episode of Chuck himself bringing this up, so I'm not going to trash him, don't worry. ;) But in "Basics?" When he said Neelix should have taken a burning piece of wood with them to scare off potential predators? Well, yeah... that wouldn't work. Fire doesn't scare off predators. In Africa, man-eating lions and leopards go right into villages, into huts and drag people away. In grasslands, you get lightning fires all the time, and some of the predators have probably even learned to let the fire drive smaller prey toward them. Got all that from Animorphs. :) So yes. This is ONE area Neelix wasn't at fault. Like, 99.99% out of that "Neelix is a waste of space" shitfest.
TrueMetis
Officer

Post by TrueMetis »

Animals fear of fire is dependent on circumstance. Whether fire will deter animals depends on whether their experience has taught them to avoid it. But at a minimum a torch is a good source of light and a weapon, so bring one.

Also "I learned this from Animorphs" is hardly a point in your favour. How about "I learned this from camping and having bears walk into my camp with no fear because they're learned fire = people = food" or "I learned this from coyote near farms who avoid fire because they're learned that fire = people = death."

Given the locals and the variety of predators you've probably got a whole bunch who will be like coyotes, and a whole bunch that will be like the bears. Thing is, the ones that are like bears won't care if you have a torch or not. You're dead if they want you dead. The only (partial) downside of the torch is that it shows where you are. But if you're out an night, anything hunting at that time does not give a shit. It will see/smell/hear you before you see/smell/hear it. And you kind of want it to, because human senses suck, so if you spot it before it spots you you are in all likelihood very close. And a surprised predator is only slightly better than one hunting you. The downsides of a torch are minimal, the benefits enormous. Neelix was an idiot.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

If a predator wants you dead, it will attack you regardless of if you've got a torch. Animals have personalities just like people. So a torch isn't always a guarantee. Hell, Neelix would have been better off waiting for them to finish making that bow, but then, that's why he's an idiot. I wouldn't go out into the wilderness with a torch except maybe to see. To protect myself from predators? Relying on a torch is just not a smart idea at all. You want something more.
Artabax
Officer

Post by Artabax »

A stick is a better weapon than zero stick. And a stick with a rock on the end is better yet.

A TV burning stick is a better weapon than a real burning stick because it burns for ever and never gets smaller.
Self sealing stem bolts don't just seal themselves, you know.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Another area I disagree with Chuck is in "Time and Again." I don't think that's a Prime Directive issue so much as a "Temporal Prime Directive" issue. We HAVE to preserve the timeline, no matter how many die. Still evil. Just... a different label of evil.