Brexit Rambles

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Re: Brexit Rambles

Post by Karha of Honor »

Yukaphile wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:25 am Especially with Russia eyeing Europe like a hungry dog regards a steak. Just eagerly chomping at the bit to reclaim their former territory.
You base this opinion on...?
Antiboyscout
Captain

Post by Antiboyscout »

Yukaphile wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:25 am Especially with Russia eyeing Europe like a hungry dog regards a steak. Just eagerly chomping at the bit to reclaim their former territory.
The UK being in or out the Union won't make the French give a shit about the Poles. France and Germany have a history of selling out Poland to Russia for their own benefit.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Jesus Christ, that was 70 years ago! Europe's changed since then. While Russia has changed very little. I'm seriously very worried about what will happen if they swarm over Europe like they did last time.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Antiboyscout
Captain

Post by Antiboyscout »

Yukaphile wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:37 pm Jesus Christ, that was 70 years ago! Europe's changed since then. While Russia has changed very little. I'm seriously very worried about what will happen if they swarm over Europe like they did last time.
Europe hasn't changed ether, it's just that the old rivalries are smothered under a mountain of money and bureaucracy.

As for Russia, take a look at at it's population pyramid and you will understand why it's doing what it's doing and why it doesn't matter.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Is an increased standard of living somehow wrong?

Yeah, they're terrified they're going to die out. Doesn't justify expansion and grabbing territory from other people that doesn't belong to you. That's why they hated the Nazis so much, and it's ironic to see them become everything they claim to hate, everything they claim to have fought against.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Some time has passed, and there have been new developments. Teresa May has finally negotiated a Brexit Deal, and it looks like it will cause her government to fall and may leave Britain without any deal. Simultaneously, Spain's upset about Gibraltar and is threatening to veto the deal.

You know, this vetos for everyone crap kinda annoys me about the EU.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Yukaphile wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:37 pm Jesus Christ, that was 70 years ago! Europe's changed since then. While Russia has changed very little. I'm seriously very worried about what will happen if they swarm over Europe like they did last time.
They will do that because?...

Their Sith blood cannot be tamed? They are built that way?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Because they haven't addressed the problems inherent in a conservative religious patriarchy. Have you seen their law enforcement? It's like the West in the 1950s. Look at Patrick Stewart's own family to get a clear idea what I mean, where his father regularly brutalized his mother, and when she'd bloodied call the police, they did nothing to stop it. I don't want to see Putin suppressing truth and freedom in Europe, especially regarding what their own soldiers did 70 years ago, or what they'd do today. I am completely convinced people like Putin and who they got in their leadership positions wouldn't step in today to stop it any more than they did and should have seven decades ago. It's like I said, the West has changed, they have not. Though I'd also argue that the US hasn't changed as much as we think we have.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

TGLS wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:20 pm Some time has passed, and there have been new developments. Teresa May has finally negotiated a Brexit Deal, and it looks like it will cause her government to fall and may leave Britain without any deal. Simultaneously, Spain's upset about Gibraltar and is threatening to veto the deal.

You know, this vetos for everyone crap kinda annoys me about the EU.
You know what the real cracker is? That deal is regarded in Mainland Europe, as a capitulation before the british wishes. And it is. They get all the backdoor-entries to the european market via Northern Irland and have not to conform to any european norms. The deal couldn't be any better for the UK. And they still tear themselves apart over it.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

Yukaphile wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:26 pm Because they haven't addressed the problems inherent in a conservative religious patriarchy.
Not everything can be distilled down to convenient ideological buzzwords, Yuke.

Even if that is true, it does not tackle why they are that way after all this time and what might play a role in that, such is their centuries of hardship and their geopolitical position in the world that left them open to constant invasion.
Though I'd also argue that the US hasn't changed as much as we think we have.
I'd rather argue none of us have changed much at all, and as I say, things change; things remain the same.

As much as we may find ways to work out of old, bad habits, more often than not our nature finds ways of re-purposing the new to service old bias, which is what things like Identity Politics and such boil down to.
I don't want to see Putin suppressing truth and freedom in Europe, especially regarding what their own soldiers did 70 years ago, or what they'd do today. I am completely convinced people like Putin and who they got in their leadership positions wouldn't step in today to stop it any more than they did and should have seven decades ago.
Yuke, you need more time off the internet, especially to reflect upon what has molded and shape you. Everything it seems boils down to seeing things through the lens of your past trauma growing up in your family. It's not a good way to look out through into the great world as it taints everything by things which have little to nothing to do with the subject at hand.

In the case of Russia, the Russian people and their leadership are occupied with balancing their old demons with the need to rebuild after a century of chaos and devastation that have brought them almost to the end of becoming a failed state.

With that said, they have more pressing issues than simply dealing with domestic abuse, things that no national reform or political ideology can heal. They need time to to accomplish that, but how they've been hurt and developed have them doing many things that are getting in the way of them accomplishing that.

If think after the 20th Century Russians would prefer to have the 21st be a calm, quiet one as they rebuild and get over their past wounds, but like a bully mistreating others trying to find strength they lack inside themselves, they continually try to maintain great power status in a desperate attempt to sooth their wounded egos.
Yukaphile wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:26 amYeah, they're terrified they're going to die out. Doesn't justify expansion and grabbing territory from other people that doesn't belong to you. That's why they hated the Nazis so much, and it's ironic to see them become everything they claim to hate, everything they claim to have fought against.
How much history do you know, Yuke?
Yukaphile wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:37 pm Jesus Christ, that was 70 years ago! Europe's changed since then.
They'd like to think they've changed. Thing is factors have come together to simply cover things up, such as US hegemony and their own outright fear and self-loathing towards themselves over their love affair with hubris in the 19th Century that made them pay starting in 1914.