DS9: Heart of Stone

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: DS9: Heart of Stone

Post by Yukaphile »

Others back him up. Others who don't even like Quark. Though it is interesting that Quark might be lying, or perhaps there's some historical revision going on. We do know the Ferengi were more evolved 10,000 years prior to the foundation of the Ferengi Alliance. Perhaps they had a brief dark age where that sort of thing was more common before they stabilized their society into what it was when they met the Federation. I still don't see them being warriors, though. Even if they have a somewhat competent navy. The only time they were a military threat was in Season 2. After that, never again.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
BlackoutCreature2
Officer

Post by BlackoutCreature2 »

Yukaphile wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:04 am Others back him up. Others who don't even like Quark. Though it is interesting that Quark might be lying, or perhaps there's some historical revision going on. We do know the Ferengi were more evolved 10,000 years prior to the foundation of the Ferengi Alliance. Perhaps they had a brief dark age where that sort of thing was more common before they stabilized their society into what it was when they met the Federation. I still don't see them being warriors, though. Even if they have a somewhat competent navy. The only time they were a military threat was in Season 2. After that, never again.
I think we've seen enough of Ferengi culture to know that even if Quark wasn't completely lying, he was still looking at things from a skewed point of view. Maybe Ferenginar never went to war in the traditional sense, but do you really think that prominent members of the Ferengi Alliance never bankrolled proxy wars to advance their own financial interests? Do you really believe that a culture obsessed with financial profit never employed slave labor for a cheap work force? Do you really believe they never hired some mercenaries to deal with a problematic local population? A culture like that definitely has some skeletons in its closet, ones that they probably have no problem covering up and denying.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

All that stuff you described? Awful, yes, but as I had indicated, it's still not as bad as us at our worst.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
PapaPalpatine
Officer

Post by PapaPalpatine »

I was honestly expecting Chuck to rate this one lower than he did. Guess I can't call them all. I do, however, agree the A plot on this one was a bit of a clunker and the B plot with Nog was more interesting.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Yukaphile wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:01 am All that stuff you described? Awful, yes, but as I had indicated, it's still not as bad as us at our worst.
You are on a quest of self-punishment and self-deprecation and, by proxy, humanity as a whole, that much is clear from what you wrote here and elsewhere. Nothing can be worse than a human being or our collective history, can it?
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

It's just the sheer frequency of huge populations of people descending on another and behaving like wild, inhuman animals, literal monsters that people want to treat as victims because "psychological conditions," and then turn around and treat their victims as monsters. I've seen this happen, and it's ugly and has to stop. Millions. Literally millions. Like ants invading another colony, spraying acid, tearing apart limbs, just... ugh.
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

None of that's different from what we've seen Ferengi do, attempt to do, or be heavily implied as wanting to do, except that it's a bunch of people doing it simultaneously instead of individuals doing it one at a time. And given that we rarely see more than a handful of Ferengi in a given episode, and how even the most barbaric Star Trek civilizations don't get the Game of Thrones full-frontal-brutality depiction, that's to be expected.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Hell, did the humans in Trek even descend that far? One can only wonder.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Yukaphile wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:04 am Others back him up. Others who don't even like Quark. Though it is interesting that Quark might be lying, or perhaps there's some historical revision going on. We do know the Ferengi were more evolved 10,000 years prior to the foundation of the Ferengi Alliance. Perhaps they had a brief dark age where that sort of thing was more common before they stabilized their society into what it was when they met the Federation. I still don't see them being warriors, though. Even if they have a somewhat competent navy. The only time they were a military threat was in Season 2. After that, never again.
The victors write the history books. This is a universal truth. To name one very basic example: if the British had won then George Washington would have gone down in the archives as a terrorist and General William Howe a national hero.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Um... that's at odds with earlier on, when the Ferengi were an aggressive naval power. Even if they lost, you don't go from being a semi-respectable navy to being losers so horrible you're a joke and can't ever win. Even the losers wouldn't rewrite their own history to make themselves look that bad.