Empire Strikes Back

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Re: Empire Strikes Back

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Apparently some people thought Watto was a Jewish stereotype. :? I never saw that or Jar Jar being black. And Lucas can be a bit ham-fisted at times but I really don't see him putting ethnic stereotypes into the movies.

I didn't even hate Jar Jar. I saw him a lot like a see C-3PO, well-meaning, occasionally useful but quite frequently not, and in general I didn't pay much attention to him.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:22 am Apparently some people thought Watto was a Jewish stereotype. :? I never saw that or Jar Jar being black. And Lucas can be a bit ham-fisted at times but I really don't see him putting ethnic stereotypes into the movies.

I didn't even hate Jar Jar. I saw him a lot like a see C-3PO, well-meaning, occasionally useful but quite frequently not, and in general I didn't pay much attention to him.
The outrage crowd just has it completely backwards. It's not as if Jar Jar is "behaving black" or Watto is "behaving jew", it's that Jar Jar's behaviour is stereotypically used as "black behaviour" and Watto's behaviour is stereotypically used as "jew behaviour".
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

I think Johnson had a good Star Wars movie in him. The themes he explored and the things he did and the risks he took were all good.

He just really shouldn't have followed up the Abrams movie, they were at complete crossroads for what they were trying to accomplish.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

RobbyB1982 wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:37 pm I think Johnson had a good Star Wars movie in him. The themes he explored and the things he did and the risks he took were all good.

He just really shouldn't have followed up the Abrams movie, they were at complete crossroads for what they were trying to accomplish.
I think that's a very good way to express what doesn't work about the new trilogy.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

As I've said elsewhere, I think Last Jedi was a KOTOR 2 style deconstruction, and failed at it.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords