Babylon 5: Grail

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
G-Man
Officer

Re: Babylon 5: Grail

Post by G-Man »

Durandal_1707 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:09 pm Yeah, how dare people not have the names of all the writers for children's cartoons memorized?
I wasn't mocking people for not knowing - I thought it would be more fun to find out rather than have it explained.
"You say I'm a dreamer/we're two of a kind/looking for some perfect world/we know we'll never find" - Thompson Twins
Eishtmo
Officer

Post by Eishtmo »

The fourth one stayed up, right until it disappeared into a temporal thingy.

The FIFTH one though, stayed up and right were it was. Until it was demolished so it wasn't a hazard to navigation.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

Eishtmo wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:06 am The fourth one stayed up, right until it disappeared into a temporal thingy.

The FIFTH one though, stayed up and right were it was. Until it was demolished so it wasn't a hazard to navigation.
Because traffic to that uninhabited planet was really high enough to make that a credible problem. Also: space is really small, and cramped.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

G-Man wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:33 am I wasn't mocking people for not knowing - I thought it would be more fun to find out rather than have it explained.
If it makes you feel any better, I knew what you meant.
Durandal_1707 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:18 am Also: space is really small, and cramped.
Side note: this is something that bothers me about the convenience of the plot-creating event at the start of Valerian. As written, the entire contrivance makes no sense.

A lot of movies don't understand this about space, and I guess JMS was no different in this instance. I suppose he just couldn't think of a better reason to fulfill "the prophecy" for The End.
Alinis
Redshirt

Post by Alinis »

I have to admit Grail was one of my favorite episodes of Babylon Five which is a rarity for anything from season one and its almost certainty because David Warner's performance.

I have to admit though it almost strange to hear his voice and not be evil given he was both Jon Irenicus in the Baldur's gate series and Ra's al Ghul in the DCAU.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

This was one of the few stories I vaguely remembered from my childhood. I know David Warner was the selling point for Chuck, but what stuck in my head was a brain-sucker monster. Can hardly go wrong with one of those.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

I can't fight it

youtu.be/AGvxoWytMig
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."
Steve
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Steve »

Durandal_1707 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:18 am
Eishtmo wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:06 am The fourth one stayed up, right until it disappeared into a temporal thingy.

Because traffic to that uninhabited planet was really high enough to make that a credible problem. Also: space is really small, and cramped.
TBH, it's my headcanon that the demolition of B5 was the work of a spiteful ex-Clarkist still on EarthGov who arranged the decision as a petty attempt to strike at the people who, in his or her pathetic mind, are responsible for the "subordination" of Earth to the "alien-dominated" InterStellar Alliance. B5 is the symbol of Sheridan's treason against Earth, and if they couldn't lash out at Sheridan without repercussions, they could at least manage to blow up that symbol.
"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

Administrator of SFD, Former Spacebattles Super-Mod, Veteran Chatnik. And multiverse crossover-loving writer, of course!
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

Wargriffin wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:30 am ...

I can't fight it

youtu.be/AGvxoWytMig
I see you, and raise you:

youtu.be/luVjkTEIoJc
Cassandra
Redshirt

Post by Cassandra »

Durandal_1707 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:18 am

Also: navigation hazards in real space are relevant in a universe where all long distance travel is done FTL in an alternate dimension.

Also: blowing up a huge, easily detectable, space station into billions of tiny, likely undetectable, pieces on unpredictable orbits makes real-space navigation safer.

Remember: B5 is a show where space is two dimensional for plot purposes. Realism took a trip to Z'ha'dum and never came back.
One and a half bits short of a two bit writer.