Far-right violent attacks doubled between 2016 and 2017

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Re: Far-right violent attacks doubled between 2016 and 2017

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Worffan101 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:23 pm
Darth Wedgius wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:34 am
Worffan101 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:55 am
Darth Wedgius wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:42 pm
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:52 pm
Darth Wedgius wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:04 pm
That tacit encouragement happens to be something you've got to read between the lines for, I take it?
How about you read what the man says on his twitter feed for a start? Like, actually read it, and watch his rallies, and take note of the many words coming out of his fat gob. I know it's not exactly easy to get through without some pepto-bismol and a stiff drink, but maybe if you could be bothered to apply a fraction of your attention and a few crumbs of active listening other people wouldn't have to spoon-feed you their hot takes on the hateful rhetoric he's been spewing non-stop since before he took office. As it is, I really feel like effort on my part would be wasted because when I point to anything short of the man dancing naked on the washington monument with "GO FORTH MY MINIONS AND KILL THE BROWN INVADERS" tattooed on his nutsack would be responded to with an accusation of self-proclaimed mind-reading powers.
So, "sure, lots of evidence, go find it yourself"....
This argument kind of loses a lot of weight when the President is openly calling Nazis "very fine people" and using '30s-style racist stereotypes in his xenophobic rants, Darth. You don't have to work to find evidence of Trump being awful, just wait for him to open his mouth.
He never called Nazis "very fine people." He said there were very fine people on both sides of a particular disagreement, some people on one side were Nazis, and some on the left decided those were the ones Trump meant.

If you can't point out xenophobia or 30s-style racist stereotypes, or if those are also as much assumptions on your part as the very-fine-Nazis assumption, then I think I have my answer.
Dude, he could literally hail Hitler and you'd rush to his defense with how it's just "ironic" or something.

His rants against the 'migrant caravan' are laden with '30s-era "they're coming for our wimminz!" tropes like overemphasizing how many "strong young men" are allegedly part of this 'caravan' as it that were a bad thing. He very much did call the Nazis very fine people, and the Nazis themselves went and bragged about it--just look at what Richard Spencer said about it afterwards. He accused Mexican immigrants of being "criminals and rapists" when in real life immigrants are by FAR the LEAST likely demographic to commit crimes. He failed to mention, on Holocaust Remembrance Day, that Jews were the primary victims of the fucking Holocaust.

Trump is a fucking racist, Darth, and your attempts to obfuscate that are pathetic as all Hell.
I'm to trust Richard Spencer? When has he accused the 'migrant caravan'of 'coming for our women?' Quotes, please.

Here is the quote about "criminals and rapists":
When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.
You can call that xenophobic if you want, but I don't see it.

And as far as what you believe I'd say in some hypothetical situation, that is of no significance.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Funny how Darth conveniently ignores the "started a right-wing conspiracy theory that Obama is a secret Muslim and is not a real American who was not even born in America" spectacle. Or am I the only one who remembers the whole theatrics with his birth certificate? I was frankly disgusted that the first African-American President had to prove he was actually an American. No other sitting President was ever forced to do so. Oh well. This is why I blocked him. I suspect others will be on that list soon enough.

So you just refuse to accept there any decent Muslims in the US? You're making my right-wing Discord friends who are in denial about being right wing, who think they're "classically liberal," look positively progressive.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Also, Darth? I know you said you never wanted to debate me on this because "I don't use logic," and that's why I blocked you, but fuck it, I have to challenge your bullshit claims here. When Trump says "they're not sending their best," that is xenophobic and it's stereotyping. Lots of illegal immigrants are people who overstay on their visas. Or who marry to stay here, or have anchor babies. While morally questionable if you want to argue that, it doesn't make them anything like the drug cartels, because they're just desperate, or love this country so much they don't want to go back to their hellish countries where there's a lot more suffering, and, hell, I'd dare say it's a small minority compared to overall illegal immigrants, that most of them are decent enough as human beings, and certainly not comparable to the cartels, which is what Trump was pushing with this whole caravan thing. Also to stereotype them all as "Mexicans" is another way he thinks in very bigoted, old-fashioned terms. It's what you expect by someone raised by a member of the KKK in the 1940s. Get your head out of your ass.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

Darth, your disconnection from reality makes you impossible to argue with. If you can't see how Trump's "criminals and rapists" comment is COMPLETELY FUCKING BULLSHIT in the face of the well-reported statistics showing that immigrants are vanishingly unlikely to commit crimes (ESPECIALLY violent crimes), you are a lost cause.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

And yeah, he makes my right-wing friends on Discord look positively liberal by comparison.
ChiggyvonRichthofen
Captain

Post by ChiggyvonRichthofen »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:43 pm
ChiggyvonRichthofen wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:19 pm
TGLS wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:01 am Well you can't argue with facts.
I personally haven't looked into this and I'm not saying this particular story is inaccurate,
Hey man, don't let that stop you from barreling in without a scrap of knowledge or context! I'm sure the devil needs lots of advocates!
I mean, I read the article and checked the citations, which is already a step further than most go. But my point was a broader one that wasn't addressing this specific article, which is why I felt the need to say I wasn't drawing conclusions about the article itself.

Let's put it this way- according to their criteria, there were no instances of right-wing terrorism in Europe in 2012 and 31 instances in the U.S. in 2017. That suggests pretty stringent standards, which is good. The issue is that most people don't care one whit how CSIS arrives at those numbers and will instead superimpose their own definitions of right-wing and terrorism to support their own broader political predispositions about Trump or the Republican party.
The owls are not what they seem.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

And besides, most right-wingers will cite Antifa or BLM at you. So bringing up the KKK or white ultra nationalists or neo-Nazis does nothing to dampen them.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:20 pm You can call that xenophobic if you want, but I don't see it.
Then remove the planks of wood from your frelling eyes.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Slash Gallagher wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:20 pm
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:45 pm Oh yeah, just reminding everyone: Slash is a totally blatant Islamophobe, please ignore everything he says.
You got a problem with general religionphobia? Why?
Not that you deserve the dignity of a reply, but you hate and fear over one billion people because they wear scary headscarves and have the nerve to prayer in their heathen lingo on American soil in the sight of decent people.

Also, long shot here that gives me too much credit, but maybe belonging to a very TINY religious minority makes me leery of people who are ready to damn, condemn, and exile an entire mainstream religion?
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I was discussing this topic with someone earlier. I wrote, in quotes:
I'm pretty much anti-religious, because I find too many of them are about telling you how to think, not in actually preaching their message.
It's why I'm spiritual... when I'm not existentialist/nihilistic/misanthropic.
A church should be a place to gather and share your faith, celebrate in the love of your god or gods... not tell others what to do.
The only reason I give Muslims a break is that I live in a town of freaking Somalians, and they're not vicious, cruel killers. Yes, we had one stabbing. One. And he paid for his crimes. And yes, there are those white people here who think "they" should "go home." Even natural-born Muslims who have been here for decades, whose family line stretches back generations. In other words, deport all brown people. Racial tensions are a problem, but I'd honestly call a stabbing spree progress compared to other places, where you'd have radical white hate groups firebombing mosques or leaving severed pigs' heads outside Muslims' houses, or on the flip side, what happened in San Bernadino and tons of other radicalized Muslims who killed so many. I live with black people in my building. I see Middle Eastern garb everywhere. And I see fear in their eyes when they look at me. That disgusts me. Because of the racial tensions that exist here. I do my part by refusing to demonize them. That's important.