Mexicans provide humanitarian aid to migrant caravan

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: Mexicans provide humanitarian aid to migrant caravan

Post by Madner Kami »

Admiral X wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:29 pm :roll: They are everything they claim to hate.
What can you expect from people who freely admit that they'd brainwash everyone however they like, if they had the power to do so at will and still think that they are a better person than anyone else?
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

What IS brainwashing and what is just natural social conditioning brought about through environment and upbringing? That's a tricky question to answer, and why I also insist the so-called experts still don't understand. Not everything, they don't. This is why you remove kids from parents who express views that make them unfit to raise said kids. Though obviously people's beliefs on what make parents unfit is going to vary wildly depending on each person's interpretation. For me, it would be a parent that is not willing to support their child being gay or if they were trans, and wanted to transition. It may be hard to understand, that's one thing. But ultimately, being a parent is about what's doing what's best for them, not yourself. Though some people would think that doesn't make a parent unfit, while still others would say it depends on if they're abusive while they do so - generally hit the kid or verbally put them down. So no, I don't buy 60,000,000 people are assholes. Unless you accept there's problems with the whole human race, which hey, I already do. And honestly, I HATE the "us vs. them" mentality. Hate it. It's led to more suffering than anything else. And yeah, as others have noted, turns you into precisely what you claim to hate. It makes you see the enemy as not human. When they are. When they have the same hopes and dreams we do. See? This happens in war, and it happens in peacetime. And in both situations, we can temper our responses. I refuse to give in to hate, to demonize large populations of people. I refuse to. Therein lies the path to darkness and sadism...
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

Yukaphile wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:31 pmBut ultimately, being a parent is about what's doing what's best for them, not yourself.
By THAT metric, encouraging your child to be trans is one of the WORST things you can do as a parent.

Trans people have some of the worst health outcomes of any sub population in the United States. Their life expectancy is considerably lower than others, they report much higher levels of depression and suicidal ideation, and the abuse of alcohol and illegal drugs is very high. They report significantly lower quality of life compared to, say, gay men or lesbians, much less CIS people. Even the ones with relatively positive outcomes generally describe transitioning as a horribly stressful thing they had to do in order to find some measure of peace...not something they simply wanted to do. Why on Earth would a parent encourage their child to embrace this lifestyle?

Cassandra is right when she identifies that a certain percentage of the population is considerably more inclined to authoritarianism. She's wrong in thinking all these people vote Republican. Many of them do, of course....where Republicans are in power, but where Democrats are in power, they'll generally vote Democratic. Because it's the power thing that's important to them, not the policy. Both the Left and the Right are quite happy to lay down the law, they just generally choose different targets.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I could also argue the fact that they are the most vulnerable and susceptible to hate crimes. See? Depends on each individual's opinion and their interpretation.

Well, she seems to treat them as if they're the very stereotype of Nazis we've read about for the past seventy years. Full of hate, screaming for genocide, cackling at atrocities and whooping it up with liquor to celebrate, absolute monsters who you should treat as shitstains of humanity. I refuse to condemn 60,000,000 to being treated that way. Doesn't the failure lie with us? As a society? Not the people, but how we've been raised? What our values are? How our institutions manipulate us? That's how I see it.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

Yukaphile wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:09 pmDepends on each individual's opinion and their interpretation.
We're not talking individuals. We can't do that in any generalized sense -by definition, they're individual. We're talking statistics, and the statistics are plain. Trans people are less happy, less stable, more prone to addiction and suicide. Their partners are much more likely to be abusive, even murderous. Their prospects for employment are worse. And sure, they're also subjected to far more social roadblocks and stigma, but that's hardly a reason to encourage a child to be trans. That's just one more thing that's going to make them miserable.

But of course, there's a huge difference between being supportive of a person that has decided they are trans, and encouraging someone to take that leap. I would certainly hope that parents would be supportive of a definite case, but encouraging a child become trans?

That sounds like madness to me.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Hey, I'm not downplaying how hard that lifestyle is, and a lot of it has to do with other people's perceptions of it, hate crimes and prejudice, because as I've said all along, human beings are scum.

But I'm talking about a little boy with such severe gender dysphoria that he might be tempted to cut his own dick off. He doesn't like it, he knows it's wrong, but he's too young to articulate it. What about those cases? In that case, it's really about trying to help the child cope. And I think in those situations, a parent needs to be responsible and not let their own biases interfere. And some would feel disappointed. They want him to conceive a grandchild. Or it goes against their religious beliefs. What do you do with those parents? They're not being responsible. They're not helping. They're just contributing to the problem.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Cassandra wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:15 am Conservatives, being authoritarian followers, will fall for any narrative whatsoever that gives them liberty to hate people who are not like themselves.
Pop quiz!

1. Which side has crowds of people using violence to deny others free speech?
2. Which side wants to discriminate by sex or race?
3. Which side wants to insist that everyone use the terminology that side approves of?
4. Are 1-3 not traits of authoritarianism?
5. Are women who hold men in disdain conservatives?
6. Are non-whites who hold whites in disdain conservatives?

Bonus Questions (this is worth double!)
7. If conservatives want to hate people who are not like themselves, then shouldn't black conservatives want to hate whites (and asians, and Australian aborigines)?

Take your time. All answers must be filled out with a #2 pencil.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Yukaphile wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:46 pm Hey, I'm not downplaying how hard that lifestyle is, and a lot of it has to do with other people's perceptions of it, hate crimes and prejudice, because as I've said all along, human beings are scum.

But I'm talking about a little boy with such severe gender dysphoria that he might be tempted to cut his own dick off. He doesn't like it, he knows it's wrong, but he's too young to articulate it. What about those cases? In that case, it's really about trying to help the child cope. And I think in those situations, a parent needs to be responsible and not let their own biases interfere. And some would feel disappointed. They want him to conceive a grandchild. Or it goes against their religious beliefs. What do you do with those parents? They're not being responsible. They're not helping. They're just contributing to the problem.
If a young child is depressed enough to commit suicide do you encourage it?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

What kind of... stupid question is that? Of course not! Suicide is death. Transitioning to conform to your natural-born gender identity is another matter entirely. Especially when you have such intense gender dysphoria you feel uncomfortable in your own skin.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Tijuana Mayor Denounces ‘Horde’ Of Caravan Migrants, Calls For Swift Deportation

https://dailycaller.com/2018/11/16/tiju ... van-horde/

Some protesters are shouting anti-immigrant slogans and throwing rocks at the caravan.

In the interests of full disclosure, The Daily Caller does lean conservative, and I had french toast this morning.