Far-right violent attacks doubled between 2016 and 2017

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: Far-right violent attacks doubled between 2016 and 2017

Post by Yukaphile »

Would you consider a crazy person being forced to abide by the laws of sane society oppression? It's a very similar comparison.

What institutions? Education? I've beat this point over and over, and you never seemed to want to challenge it. College education? That's not where the power is, because you're dealing with mostly grown young people, capable of seeing the world more for what it is. The real power is in molding the minds of young children, shaping their thoughts during these critical development years. And thus why many religious far-righters have realized the truth - they want to brainwash them to be utterly obedient to their brand of faith, because they know children are too young and too inexperienced to be able to muster up a sophisticated argument to be able to challenge their bullshit, and sometimes the damage goes so deep, they never overcome the social conditioning.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Yukaphile wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:24 pm Would you consider a crazy person being forced to abide by the laws of sane society oppression? It's a very similar comparison.

What institutions? Education? I've beat this point over and over, and you never seemed to want to challenge it. College education? That's not where the power is, because you're dealing with mostly grown young people, capable of seeing the world more for what it is. The real power is in molding the minds of young children, shaping their thoughts during these critical development years. And thus why many religious far-righters have realized the truth - they want to brainwash them to be utterly obedient to their brand of faith, because they know children are too young and too inexperienced to be able to muster up a sophisticated argument to be able to challenge their bullshit, and sometimes the damage goes so deep, they never overcome the social conditioning.
The world is filled with mush, also forcing something unpleasant for years on someone is power.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

But if it's reasonable, forcing something unpleasant on someone? Is just part of life.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Yukaphile wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:06 am But if it's reasonable, forcing something unpleasant on someone? Is just part of life.
Reasonable based on what?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Slash, objectively speaking, what is the difference between Muslims today and the Germans of the 1930s and 1940s? Seriously. They were the aggressive power, and yet had such high populations worldwide that you can't call them all bad. And to put a ban on, in this case, a whole group of ethnic people coming here vs. a whole religion from coming here (rather than from specific regions, the way Carter did), based on how the left controls the media and entertainment in today's world... what is the difference? They both present a potential danger, and yet is it worth closing our borders if it means possibly shutting out people who could come here and work hard, law-abiding citizens who would hurt nobody, just wanna escape the hell of their homelands, and contribute to our country and have a good life? Hell, look what happened in the 1930s and 1940s. We closed our borders to Jews, and look how many died.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Yukaphile wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:30 am Slash, objectively speaking, what is the difference between Muslims today and the Germans of the 1930s and 1940s? Seriously. They were the aggressive power, and yet had such high populations worldwide that you can't call them all bad. And to put a ban on, in this case, a whole group of ethnic people coming here vs. a whole religion from coming here (rather than from specific regions, the way Carter did), based on how the left controls the media and entertainment in today's world... what is the difference? They both present a potential danger, and yet is it worth closing our borders if it means possibly shutting out people who could come here and work hard, law-abiding citizens who would hurt nobody, just wanna escape the hell of their homelands, and contribute to our country and have a good life? Hell, look what happened in the 1930s and 1940s. We closed our borders to Jews, and look how many died.
Americans and Germans had roughly the same levels of religiosity that came from the same tradition. It was not possible to self segregate your news via the Internet, there was not a trend of the two political sides moving into the same neigbourhoods, . MSM in general did not talk about Project America the way it does today, sports media was not taken over by left wing ideologoues, there was not a political party with outsized media influence ready to treat the Germans like delicate flowers...
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Muslims ain't delicate flowers, but they aren't violent thugs either. The reality lies somewhere in between, as it does for us all.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Yukaphile wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:21 am Muslims ain't delicate flowers, but they aren't violent thugs either. The reality lies somewhere in between, as it does for us all.
If an entire political party and dominant media treats them like that...
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:57 am
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:50 am
Darth Wedgius wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:05 am
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:55 am
Darth Wedgius wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:20 pm You can call that xenophobic if you want, but I don't see it.
Then remove the planks of wood from your frelling eyes.
I can't argue with that "logic."
Just as I cant argue with "but I don't see it."
We can come out with whatever quotes and sources we compile, all the scholarly articles and experts, and you just go "well it doesn't look like that to me!" and that's that.
THIS is why I didn't want to wast all the effort of researching shit, because you will scoff it off like that. You always do.
So come up with something explicit, not something where I have to look at it just the right way, or assume someone's motivations.
Even when I do that, you say "Well it doesn't look like that too me!" It's not worth the time and energy to try to find an airtight case you won't wriggle out of with your gymnastics of subjectivity.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:23 am
Darth Wedgius wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:57 am
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:50 am
Darth Wedgius wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:05 am
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:55 am
Darth Wedgius wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:20 pm You can call that xenophobic if you want, but I don't see it.
Then remove the planks of wood from your frelling eyes.
I can't argue with that "logic."
Just as I cant argue with "but I don't see it."
We can come out with whatever quotes and sources we compile, all the scholarly articles and experts, and you just go "well it doesn't look like that to me!" and that's that.
THIS is why I didn't want to wast all the effort of researching shit, because you will scoff it off like that. You always do.
So come up with something explicit, not something where I have to look at it just the right way, or assume someone's motivations.
Even when I do that, you say "Well it doesn't look like that too me!" It's not worth the time and energy to try to find an airtight case you won't wriggle out of with your gymnastics of subjectivity.
When did you do that? Specifically, Fuzzy, please.