DIS: Vaulting Amition

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Deledrius
Captain

Re: DIS: Vaulting Amition

Post by Deledrius »

clearspira wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:34 am I've always liked Chuck's mocking of the fact that Voyager turns dark whenever there is a red alert, because in an emergency you want to see as little as possible.
Agreed. It's one of those things that looks good on screen for a tense moment, but makes little sense. I really can't imagine a way it would work on a Starfleet ship to anyone's benefit at the extremes they used in Voyager.
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

Fianna wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:48 am Question: has any Mirror Universe episode ever explored what Mirror Khan would be like? I'm curious whether he'd be a peaceful and benevolent guy there, or someone considered too violent and barbaric even by the Terran Empire's standards.
In one of my favorite Trek novels, The Sorrows of Empire, Khan was part of an Imperial dynasty and died centuries ago. His long lost heir was considered a possible replacement for Emperor Spock by some mutinous admirals in Starfleet. That was quickly tossed out due to how his heir was supposed to be nothing like him.
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

Archanubis wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:01 am
bronnt wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:53 amIt's a bit less forgivable that everyone had family coming out of the woodworks-Worf's unmentioned stepbrother, Deanna's unmentioned dead sister, Beverly's never mentioned before grandmother, Picard's (fake) son, and Data's never-seen-before mother. The only one that's forgivable is Geordi's mom, since his family had basically never been mentioned before and the episode was actually strongly focused on his character growth.
Worf's stepbrother had actually been mentioned in the Season 1 episode "Heart of Glory;" it just took until season 7 that the writers actually remembered him (not that anyone can blame them for forgetting Season 1 happened).
Her grandmother was also mentioned before. Beverly said in Arsenal of Freedom that she learned some remedies from her and that she had inspired her to become a doctor.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I think it's the fact so many family members are being shoehorned into a single season that is what upsets people here. It's not like they come out of nowhere. Personally, I liked those stories. I liked Worf's brother and Data's mother (even if she was an android). As Chuck has noted, I think it was the writers pushing the easy storytelling button at a time when their creative energies were focused elsewhere, Michael Piller on making DS9 work, Jeri Taylor on preparing for Voyager, and Braga and Moore on working for Generations.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

Deledrius wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:40 pm
clearspira wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:34 am I've always liked Chuck's mocking of the fact that Voyager turns dark whenever there is a red alert, because in an emergency you want to see as little as possible.
Agreed. It's one of those things that looks good on screen for a tense moment, but makes little sense. I really can't imagine a way it would work on a Starfleet ship to anyone's benefit at the extremes they used in Voyager.
It's still more practical than "purple alert".

youtu.be/p97166Yt4X4
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I always liked the way the early TOS films handled it. There's a reason you'd have a backup "emergency lighting" system on a ship or station bred for combat. Also, I have the quote from Chuck right here.
Whenever I bring up the "switch off the lights thing in a crisis," someone suggests maybe it's to make the controls easier to see. Hmm, not, not an unreasonable thing to say, but I still don't buy it, for the reason you see here: It doesn't matter how easy it is to see the controls if you get thrown out of your chair because you don't have any seatbelts. This is twice this story where we've seen this happen, and people have to struggle to reach their controls in the heat of battle, a struggle no doubt hindered by the fact that they're in the dark, and have no idea where their chair is, especially the helmsman, whose chair is on rails, so it's benefited by sliding back and forth whenever the ship is being hit or rocked or whatever. I just cannot buy that this is a legitimate design if Tom has to pilot the ship through battle kneeling on the floor in the dark while being beaten with a chair.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Hey, I didn't know Chuck gets Canadian channels.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

The Defiant did that too, didn't it? Or was that only when the cloaking device went active?
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

Durandal_1707 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:19 am
The Defiant did that too, didn't it? Or was that only when the cloaking device went active?
The cloaking device, I think there was a handwave about needing to minimize power use, which if you are at antimatter and needing to dim the lights you are running a thin power budget.
SuccubusYuri
Officer

Post by SuccubusYuri »

Power use would be silly, though the surface area of lights discharging energy might be -something- to avoid detection. Trek's always been pretty loose about how sensors work, though.