I never use the word troll

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
Karha of Honor
Captain

I never use the word troll

Post by Karha of Honor »

Convince me why it has meaning on the Internet and why i should use it.
Admiral X
Captain

Re: I never use the word troll

Post by Admiral X »

The thing is that it tends to be used by people who don't know any better as a reference to the mythical creature that lived under a bridge when in fact it is supposed to be a shortening of the name "troller," as in how it relates to fishing. Since the point is to get a reaction out of someone using bait of some kind (sincere or not), a person who does so is said to be trolling for comments/reaction.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Admiral X wrote:The thing is that it tends to be used by people who don't know any better as a reference to the mythical creature that lived under a bridge when in fact it is supposed to be a shortening of the name "troller," as in how it relates to fishing. Since the point is to get a reaction out of someone using bait of some kind (sincere or not), a person who does so is said to be trolling for comments/reaction.
And how does one know if someone holds an outrageous view in the context of forum X or he is bsing to watch people get angry?
Bernkastel
Redshirt

Post by Bernkastel »

That can be hard to tell. While a statement obviously likely to irritate those in a threat or forum can be one sign, there are enough non-trolls who do that. So, there's their behavior. You look at their posting habits and how they react to other people's comments. After all, a troll is aiming to get people to respond in a way they want. It's the desired response that matters most, not the topic they are fighting over.

Also, plenty of trolls like to see how far they can go without the target catching on that they are being trolled.
My Fanfics
Stop a Torie Landslide
"Die, Romeo! Thou stupid asshole!" - Juliet 1, Nier: Automata
SlackerinDeNile
Officer

Post by SlackerinDeNile »

It's just a term, if you don't want to use it that's fine. :P
Trolling can be quite funny if it's not excessively mean spirited, it's like prank calling someone.
I find it tragically funny when people on the internet call others trolls simply for disagreeing with them or having an opinion
that they don't like.
"I am to liquor what the Crocodile Hunter is to Alligators." - Afroman
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

the one benefit of being surrounded by idiots is that if you're subtle, they can't tell you're making fun of them.
Bernkastel
Redshirt

Post by Bernkastel »

SlackerinDeNile wrote:It's just a term, if you don't want to use it that's fine. :P
Trolling can be quite funny if it's not excessively mean spirited, it's like prank calling someone.
I find it tragically funny when people on the internet call others trolls simply for disagreeing with them or having an opinion
that they don't like.
The question that naturally raises is what counts as "excessively mean spirited"? Depending on who you ask, that can vary a lot. Perhaps you could please give me your definition?
My Fanfics
Stop a Torie Landslide
"Die, Romeo! Thou stupid asshole!" - Juliet 1, Nier: Automata
SlackerinDeNile
Officer

Post by SlackerinDeNile »

Bernkastel wrote:
SlackerinDeNile wrote:It's just a term, if you don't want to use it that's fine. :P
that they don't like.
The question that naturally raises is what counts as "excessively mean spirited"? Depending on who you ask, that can vary a lot. Perhaps you could please give me your definition?
My definition would be pointless cruelty that only serves to amuse the person committing the act and\or their friends, family, partner, etc.

Examples include:
-Bullying or actively discriminating against people who cannot effectively defend themselves such as the mentally challenged. Although I disapprove of most forms of bullying in general.
-Making very insensitive jokes about certain atrocities or denying that they ever happened.
-Tricking someone who is mentally ill or otherwise ignorant into doing something horrible to themselves or other living beings, such as suicide or child abuse.
"I am to liquor what the Crocodile Hunter is to Alligators." - Afroman
Independent George
Officer

Post by Independent George »

https://youtu.be/aDhAEmODyzw

You've got to pay the troll toll
If you want to get into that boy's hole
You gotta pay the troll toll to get in...
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

Agent Vinod wrote:Convince me why it has meaning on the Internet and why i should use it.
Because there are people who are trolls and I speak as one who worked that out of his system over a decade ago.

Call a spade and spade.