Your Headcanons?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: Your Headcanons?

Post by Yukaphile »

My ultimate headcanon is the Cthulhu Mythos exist in Trek. :lol:
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Yukaphile wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:38 am My ultimate headcanon is the Cthulhu Mythos exist in Trek. :lol:
The holodeck versions of his novels are a lot of fun, I'm sure.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I meant as real creatures within the verse. Hey, who doesn't want to see Nyarlathotep or Yug-Sothoth vs. Q? 8-)
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Deledrius wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:31 am
Darth Wedgius wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:40 pm Presumably this only applies to English-speaking, uncaptioned Trek, though.
Possibly also the French dubs? ;)
Could be! :)
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:40 pm TNG/DS9/Voyager's holograms aren't photonics made of photons.
Actually, holograms are made of "Pho"tons, which is to say, made entirely out of Pho.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

what a load of tripe
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Here's my biggest headcanon. Taken from Chuck. There's a spirit of good fortune that watches over the Trek franchise, and Insurrection really was was an attempt to undermine the franchise, and Nemesis was the enemy of the franchise given how Wrath of Khan was the pinnacle event movie which captured all of the flavors and elements of TOS. And that would make STD the sexually-transmitted disease of the franchise. What's the STD? It's corporatism and how it's crushing creativity. It's not about telling a good story anymore. It's about making money. And as a result... yeah. Insurrection attempted to undermine the franchise. Nemesis was the arch-enemy of the franchise. STD is the sexually-transmitted disease of the franchise and depending on how serious it is and if it gets treated, the franchise could survive. But if it doesn't? Star Trek as we know it will die. At least until fans put together fan projects that surpass what the "official" works are doing.
Rezro
Redshirt

Post by Rezro »

I write it here so it would be no doubt that it is theoretical zone. But minor nitpick toward last My Little Pony review. Clover the Clever despite wearing characteristic dusty cape, wasn't a peset. He (and yes, he was stallion) was Unicornia court sorcerer and one of most important characters in the show, as well (now we transit from facts to theories):

He was original Godly Emperor of Equestria, until he disappeared in unclear circumstances (specifically trying reconcile with his old teacher). There is a clear way to determine this fact, as we do know that Clover was last person owning so called Memory Stone, which he take from evil sorcerer and hide in human world (Forgotten Friendship social). But we also do know that this artifact definitely was used in fall of Cristal Empire, what mean that those are exact same events (overlying probably also with hearts and hooves day what also reference the fallen kingdom).

That obviously skipping huge hunks demanding additional theories like identity of Sombra, or what happen with Scorpan. But even if we focus on that parts specifically, we see clear correlation suggesting way ore complex narration hiding behind supposedly simpler story.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

My ultimate headcanon, that is not really canon only because it's never confirmed, but that there's nothing within the show to disprove it? Is that the reason the Ocampa biology was so messed up was that the Caretaker did it, in his attempts to "help them." I mean, his species strike me as having a very alien morality compared to us, so it seems plausible in his attempts to improve their reproduction abilities, he instead somehow retards it so that, well... yeah, only happens once, and now located near a sac from their neck? So instead of atoning for his people's mistakes, he drives the nail into the coffin and kills them all off. Nice going, Banjo Man.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Here's another headcanon of mine, straight from TV Tropes.

The Borg didn't always have Borg Queens to lead them; that was just the natural result from Hugh's encounter with the Enterprise.

Given how polarizing the Borg Queen has become, there might perhaps be a way to explain it all within the actual canon universe. The theory goes that the Borg encountered by Starfleet after the episodes "I, Borg" and the "Descent" two-parter were, as shown in the aforementioned two-parter, corrupted by Hugh's newfound sense of individuality which he achieved on board the Enterprise. The damage spread to the rest of the hive on his vessel, and infected the whole collective in a short matter of time. The reason as to why Hugh wasn't immediately reassimilated with his memories purged from him as some fans speculate was due to the fact Hugh was a genuine, 100% home-grown Borg baby, born within the collective, rather than taken from a conquered species, thus bypassing the typical fail-safes that come with assimilating a new race. As stated by Lore and Hugh himself, without purpose, without direction, the Borg were lost. Some broke off into scattered pockets of splinter factions, like the group that followed Lore, but the vast majority of the Borg collective, after a brutal reorganization process conducted not unlike ancient human wars, worked in unison and were able to establish a new hierarchy of order: That of the Borg Queen, which were specialized Borg models grown or seized from a subjugated species to guide the new individuality of the Borg collective, to contain it, and center it through each Queen model. There was only one Queen by the time of Star Trek: First Contact, but, by the latter stages of Star Trek: Voyager, the Borg had grown to be so disjointed and fractured from what they had once been that more Queen models had to be mass-produced, to put down any rebellious thoughts which might corrupt the order and stability of the collective, thus explaining why the Borg had become increasingly more erratic in later encounters, and why the Queen models appeared to grow crazier and crazier with the passage of time. As for Picard's statements in First Contact? Well, through his link to the Borg, he could sense this was the actual Borg collective consciousness, and spoke to it, treating the Queen as if she were the collective, and how he was treated at their hands. The flashback shown with Locutus and the Queen? A fevered vision/hallucination as the result of the new "Queen Hierarchy" and Picard's trauma about being assimilated. So there you have it. A plausible explanation for why the Borg suffered a severe case of Badass Decay. Obviously it was the long-lasting repercussions from Hugh's brief stay aboard the Enterprise-D!