Mexicans provide humanitarian aid to migrant caravan

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Re: Mexicans provide humanitarian aid to migrant caravan

Post by Karha of Honor »

Yukaphile wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:51 pm What kind of... stupid question is that? Of course not! Suicide is death. Transitioning to conform to your natural-born gender identity is another matter entirely. Especially when you have such intense gender dysphoria you feel uncomfortable in your own skin.
What do you mean natural born gender? Detransitionning can happen after the gender switch.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Natural-born gender identity. And did you not read the part I wrote about a little boy who's having horrible gender dysphoria and insists he's a girl? That's not the same as encouraging someone to fucking murder themselves! As it stands, though, I think the only people who have any right to attempt to stop a suicide are close family and friends of the victim, and not the state.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

LittleRaven wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:05 pm
Yukaphile wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:31 pmBut ultimately, being a parent is about what's doing what's best for them, not yourself.
By THAT metric, encouraging your child to be trans is one of the WORST things you can do as a parent.
oh my severed dick of Dionysus.

Trans people have problems because of transphobia. A supportive parent of a trans child dramatically lowers the chance of suicide, even if they have no other support.

You don't get to choose between being trans and not. You get to choose between an out trans person and a closeted trans person.

ANd how the blueberry fuck did this turn into a thread about justifying parents letting their trans kids be out?
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I mean, if I had a little boy or girl who identified as the opposite gender, that's where my primary concern would be. Not in encouraging them to transition and be free to explore their gender identity, but in how other, hateful souls would react to it.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

My concern would be that adults were projecting their own issues onto children and, in effect, sexualizing them. The main reasoning for doing so seems to be the idea that it is more effective to do the hormone treatments prior to puberty. The problem is, most children are not aware of themselves in that way at that age, and even if they fall outside their gender norm, this is hardly an indication that they have gender dysphoria, and frankly adults advocating for this could be doing these children a great disservice. Yeah, those hormone treatments would be more effective, and then what do you do if the kids grows up and decides they really are supposed to be what they were born as? Seems like it'd be a lot harder to go back. Hell, when I was a kid I played with Barbie dolls and other toys my sisters played with and preferred to wear night gowns instead of pajamas. Would the people advocating for this take that to mean I was gender dysphoric? Because I wasn't.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:36 amTrans people have problems because of transphobia. A supportive parent of a trans child dramatically lowers the chance of suicide, even if they have no other support.
Trans people have SOME problems because of transphobia. But even in the most supportive environment possible, they suffer from many issues that CIS or even gay and lesbians do not have.

We simply do not have the technology to really transition someone between sexes. Humans are not frogs. If you spend a LOT of time, and a LOT of money, and go through a LOT of pain, AND you're lucky, you can probably pass most of the time, but you will never REALLY change sexes. And that's a source of tremendous pain.
ANd how the blueberry fuck did this turn into a thread about justifying parents letting their trans kids be out?
Have...have you met Yuka?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I think a lot of that is related to finances. Maybe money isn't the key to happiness, but it's key to having a happier life. Look at Caitlyn Jenner. He transitioned and then she talked about going back again. You can do that with money. The key to overcoming gender dysphoria and embracing a new gender identity is that you have the means to do so safely and comfortably. Jenner had lots of money, so there you go. And then besides finances, I'd daresay transphobia has a LOT to do with this given we still are working out all these gender issues and no one can be respectful to one another. We have to impose our beliefs on them, our values. We can't let them decide for themselves. In that sense, I'd say EVERY human is misogynistic, misandristic, transphobic, heterophobic, and homophobic. It's just we still haven't sorted it all out yet given how primitive we are.
G-Man
Officer

Post by G-Man »

Yukaphile wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:46 pm What's scary is how effective this was on the right-wingers... how they fell for the narrative Trump was pushing... and nothing fucking happened! Meanwhile, that nightmare is still in office enabling people like the bomber and the guy who shot up the synagogue.
I find it odd that we were told before the election that Trump was fear-mongering, because the caravan was hundreds of miles away and was not a problem, and that we were ridiculous for being concerned, then only 9 to 10 days later the caravan actually arrived at the border, as it grows they are obviously becoming a big problem for Tijuana, whose residents are getting angry at them, and yet somehow people are claiming that nothing bad happened and the conservatives are the ones who are credulously following a false narrative.

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wi ... s-59375310
Cassandra wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:15 am "I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any hon. Gentleman will question it." -- John Stuart Mill (May 20 1806 – May 8 1873)
Riiiiggghhht. Conservatives are the ones who were proven wrong here.

As I said before, one of the reasons why concern about the caravan was supposed to a false narrative and fearmongering was that it was SOOOO far away, with the implication that the caravan would stop before reaching the border. Given that they began reaching the border within 10 days of the election, perhaps the left can admit that hundreds of miles was not as significant an obstacle as they claimed it was, and that the caravan is obviously getting help in its journey (no way they walked that far). Instead, the left seems to simply have forgotten its previous assurances and is simply berating us for not letting everyone in. Can they at least admit they were wrong about the caravan being too far away to be a concern, and explain why these migrants won't be as much of a problem in the U.S. as they are in Tijuana?

Until the left can admit what they got wrong instead of simply changing their story and continuing to berate conservatives - whose predictions and concerns were more accurate - why should we listen to them now?
"You say I'm a dreamer/we're two of a kind/looking for some perfect world/we know we'll never find" - Thompson Twins
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

He was so obviously fearmongering in an attempt to keep the GOP in power, because they're too cowardly to stand up to him. He's deathly terrified of what Democrats will investigate once the new Congress kicks in.
G-Man
Officer

Post by G-Man »

Yukaphile wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:20 pm He was so obviously fearmongering in an attempt to keep the GOP in power, because they're too cowardly to stand up to him. He's deathly terrified of what Democrats will investigate once the new Congress kicks in.
But you are dodging my point. On several points now, the "fearmongers" have proven correct and the "anti-fearmongers" wrong. The response by the anti-fearmongers has been to forget that they argued, e.g., that the caravans were too far away to be a threat, and to simply shift to argue why we ought to let everyone in even though probably >90% of them are just trying to game the system rather than having a legitimate asylum claim. Why should we trust the anti-fearmongers now when they were so wrong before, especially when they won't even admit they were wrong?
"You say I'm a dreamer/we're two of a kind/looking for some perfect world/we know we'll never find" - Thompson Twins