Mexicans provide humanitarian aid to migrant caravan

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: Mexicans provide humanitarian aid to migrant caravan

Post by Yukaphile »

Even Fox News was saying there's no reason to be scared, they won't cross the border. Hell, isn't the military using tear gas? That's what I wanted all along. A nonlethal solution. So yeah, this "invasion?" Would be more convincing if A) It wasn't people desperate to escape the hells of their homelands and B) They had malicious intent to kill or rape and C) They actually succeeded, which they won't. Worst-case scenario is thousands of dead men, women, and children.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Yukaphile wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:20 pm Even Fox News was saying there's no reason to be scared, they won't cross the border. Hell, isn't the military using tear gas? That's what I wanted all along. A nonlethal solution. So yeah, this "invasion?" Would be more convincing if A) It wasn't people desperate to escape the hells of their homelands and B) They had malicious intent to kill or rape and C) They actually succeeded, which they won't. Worst-case scenario is thousands of dead men, women, and children.
The military unleashing teargas on innocent civilians isn't a good thing.

Tear gas is a chemical weapon.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

It's better than butchering them with lead rounds; that's murder. At least tear gas they'll survive. Hell, I hear the military is even using rubber bullets, which you can survive as well. So they're adopting nonlethal solutions, as I said, which I approve of. Don't get me wrong. I feel sorry people simply wanting to escape the hell of their lives are suffering this. But I'd take this over senseless slaughter.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:47 pm

The people rushing the border to violate immigration law? You and I apparently have different definitions of "innocent."
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

And yes, let us close off our hearts and refuse to try and understand them. Condemn them as lazy pigs wanting to mooch off the US system for free bringing their gang culture and their drugs and their sexual depravities! Rather than simply see them as the sad human beings and pitiful refugees they are trying to escape a hellish existence. Seriously, I've heard that argument used so much by right-wingers, I get tired of it. Even if you want to argue we must preserve our law, fine. That's one thing. But I refuse to give in to Trump's mentality and call them rapists and killers bringing drugs. NO WAY. I'd rather emphasize with other human beings and try and understand their reasons. Rather than leap to racial and gendered stereotypes.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Darth Wedgius wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:25 am

The people rushing the border to violate immigration law? You and I apparently have different definitions of "innocent."
Yes. We do.
And seeking asylum is Legal.

But "oh they're CRIMINALS so that justifies any violence against them."
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:10 am
Darth Wedgius wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:25 am

Yes. We do.
And seeking asylum is Legal.

But "oh they're CRIMINALS so that justifies any violence against them."
Seeking asylum is legal. Rushing a border to violate immigration laws is not. It is legal to make a phone call, but not legal to break into your home to do it. This shouldn't be hard to understand, it really, really shouldn't.

And if you look carefully you'll see your strawman for the day. Hour. Minute. Whatever.

They were offered asylum in Mexico, by the way. And many admit they are driven by poverty, not persecution. Or cravings for Wild Wings. :D
LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:10 amAnd seeking asylum is Legal.
And there's a legal process for doing it. It doesn't involve tear-gas, either.

The US is processing asylum claims as we always have. There are thousands of people waiting across the border right now. A few hundred decided to try to skip the line. Are you seriously suggesting we should simply let anyone who wants to cross the border?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I'm with Raven here, sadly. It's not an issue of racism, so much as bureaucratic backlog. And I'm not calling them violent, raping criminals bringing drugs like many right-wingers will say. I see them as sad people, and I feel very sorry for them. That their lives are so miserable, they couldn't wait to get the paperwork processed any longer. My point was simply to illustrate I won't demonize them as an enemy horde, and that I'm happy we're not butchering them en masse. I really expected to see thousands of dead mothers and children riddled with bullets and bathed in blood on the news in the days leading up to the election... so far hasn't happened. Let's REALLY hope it doesn't.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

My main problem is that tear gas is verboten by the geneva convention, is technically a nerve agent, and just...is not something you should spray at people who aren't trying to kill or injure you, and especially not something you should use around children and the elderly.