Eat any good books lately Worf?

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
TheNewTeddy
Officer

Re: Eat any good books lately Worf?

Post by TheNewTeddy »

I'm trying to read Romance of the Three Kingdoms, by Luo Guanzhong

Read a good third of it as a kid, but want to re-read it now that I'm older.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

TheNewTeddy wrote:I'm trying to read Romance of the Three Kingdoms, by Luo Guanzhong

Read a good third of it as a kid, but want to re-read it now that I'm older.
Can you keep the names straight?
lsgreg wrote:I read volume 4 of XO Manowar graphic novel (the 2012 reboot) It more Sci Fi than comic book, but I haven't gotten to the Unity Crossover yet.
Is it still sci fi if it has very little interest in technology and it's about adventure, the characters?
Dînadan
Officer

Post by Dînadan »

Agent Vinod wrote:
Is it still sci fi if it has very little interest in technology and it's about adventure, the characters?
Sci-fi doesn't necessarily have to be focused on tech; if the backdrop is futuristic or aliens are present or so forth it can qualify as a branch of sci-fi. Sci-fi is a pretty broad category with hazy edges not rigidly defined perameters.

Edit: to give an example, Star Wars contains all sorts of tech, but that's not the main focus and (the original film at least) was more about the adventure but is still considered sci-fi (more specifically the overlap between sci-fi and fantasy called Space Fantasy).
George
Redshirt

Post by George »

Currently reading a bunch of Warhammer Fantasy and 40k books my brother got me, as well as one of the Sharpe books.
"Gold is for the mistress -- silver for the maid --
Copper for the craftsman cunning at his trade."

"Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
"But Iron -- Cold Iron -- is master of them all."
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

I've been rereading the Waylander saga by David Gemmell
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Dînadan
Officer

Post by Dînadan »

I'm currently listening to an audiobook of 'The Blade Itself' by Joe Abercrombie (specifically the edition on Audiblevread by Steven Pacey). Very entertaining and I've just used my Audible credit to purchase its sequel ready for when I've finished it. Very entertaining book and I'd highly recommend it for anyone wanting to get a Game of Thrones type fantasy fix while waiting for the next season or book of GoT.
graymorality
Redshirt

Post by graymorality »

I am almost done with my re-read of the Wheel of Time series (using audiobooks this time). Probably going to start on the Gunslinger/Dark Tower books next
ScreamingDoom
Officer

Post by ScreamingDoom »

drthmik wrote:I just recently Read through the entire Honor Harington Series
for the 6th time
Can't recommend it Highly enough
Coincidentally, so did I! I actually haven't read any of the Harrington books in a very long time, and the early work still holds up greatly.

The books are definitely exposition heavy, though, which will annoy some people no doubt. Another thing a lot of people complain about is how he introduces characters with full backstory and pages of their internal thoughts, only to kill them off immediately afterwards.

I did think the most recent book, A Rising Thunder, to be... subpar compared to the rest of the series. It's even more exposition heavy than the other books and the ending is abrupt. It doesn't feel like a complete story and two entire chapters are copied verbatim from the previous book. In fact, the first third of the book is pretty much filler which might supply some context that happened in the previous book A Mission of Honor, but is hardly needed and bogs an already ponderous story down further.

I'm still not unhappy I read it, but it was definitely a showcase of Weber's flaws as a writer.
ORCACommander
Officer

Post by ORCACommander »

actually shadow of victory is the latest in in the series, however it has been sitting on my desk since release and trying the first couple of chapters. weber needs help in keeping on target and a does of simplification