Gun enthusiast thread

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
Admiral X
Captain

Gun enthusiast thread

Post by Admiral X »

Basically this is a thread for sharing appreciation, jokes, and information.

So let's kick things off with Gun Jesus. :D

youtu.be/H0qe45Z8wfk

And just some Ian memes:

youtu.be/tGRG12OK8M4
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Re: Gun enthusiast thread

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Ladies and gentlemen,I present to you the rocket gun of the Space Age! This weapon, the gyrojet, must surely be what we will all be using in the years beyond 2000!

youtu.be/98c2t_uK5Uo
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

My dad once offered to Buy me a Truck if I got a job at a Remington Plant

XD
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

youtu.be/NjlCVW_ouL8

The story was by Christopher Judge, BTW.
LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

Man, I love the P90 as much as anyone, but there's no way you're cutting a tree in half with one. 50 rounds SOUNDS like a lot...but at 900 rounds per minute that's only a few seconds of firing.

To go logging with a gun, you need something a bit...larger.

youtu.be/QC8jnSaCqxY
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Meh, guns are boring. When are we finally going to start developing energy weapons? Those would be so cool to have in the modern world. Like "phased plasma rifle in the 40-watt range."
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

Yukaphile wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:43 pm Meh, guns are boring. When are we finally going to start developing energy weapons? Those would be so cool to have in the modern world. Like "phased plasma rifle in the 40-watt range."
We're working on them constantly. But there are huge problems to overcome. Many of the problems are technical and hard, but honestly, those aren't the main ones. The really, really big problem can be summed up thusly:

"What will a phased plasma rifle in the 40-watt range do that cannot be accomplished with an AR-15?"

I mean, obviously the plasma rifle is way cooler...but that doesn't buy you much outside of Hollywood.
What can energy weapons actually do? We know that if you put ENOUGH energy into the weapon, you can put holes in things...which is nice, but honestly regular guns do that too and for a fraction of the price. In Sci-Fi, energy weapons do much cooler things, like turn into precision cutting tools or stun people without doing permanent damage. Now THAT would be amazingly useful, and would more than justify the additional costs...but we haven't figured out how to actually make energy weapons do any of those things. :(
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Sadly true.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Antiboyscout
Captain

Post by Antiboyscout »

LittleRaven wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:06 pm
Yukaphile wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:43 pm Meh, guns are boring. When are we finally going to start developing energy weapons? Those would be so cool to have in the modern world. Like "phased plasma rifle in the 40-watt range."
We're working on them constantly. But there are huge problems to overcome. Many of the problems are technical and hard, but honestly, those aren't the main ones. The really, really big problem can be summed up thusly:

"What will a phased plasma rifle in the 40-watt range do that cannot be accomplished with an AR-15?"

I mean, obviously the plasma rifle is way cooler...but that doesn't buy you much outside of Hollywood.
What can energy weapons actually do? We know that if you put ENOUGH energy into the weapon, you can put holes in things...which is nice, but honestly regular guns do that too and for a fraction of the price. In Sci-Fi, energy weapons do much cooler things, like turn into precision cutting tools or stun people without doing permanent damage. Now THAT would be amazingly useful, and would more than justify the additional costs...but we haven't figured out how to actually make energy weapons do any of those things. :(
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_Weapon_System
Laser CIWS is in the works. It's biggest benefit is the low cost per shot. Cruise missiles are expensive so a cheep way to blow them out of the sky is a great thing.

Stun weapons are way beyond current technology. The ones we do have aren't very good.

The only way I see more offensive energy weapons coming into use would be something that can effectively ignore armor. The only thing I can think of that could do the job is Gama Rays. Some sort of Gama ray emitter that can pass right through armor and kill everything in say a bunker or a tank, but Gama rays are so awful that I hope if someone does invent a Gama ray weapon that it gets banned in another Geneva convention.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Gamma rays? That's blasting someone with radiation. Kinda like flamethrowers? Yeah, they'd get banned by the Geneva Conventions, certainly.