Did Janeway really strand the crew?

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: Did Janeway really strand the crew?

Post by Yukaphile »

Two problems with this. One is that I seriously doubt the Kazon would fall for this, especially since with reinforcements coming, they're more inclined to take what they want rather than bargain for it. Given how they're portrayed throughout the rest of the series. And two is that, and this is the most glaringly obvious, while it would have been a nice try to attempt that, that doesn't fit in with the fetishized holier-than-our Federation dogma which Janeway subscribes to. That she wouldn't want to deceive even the enemy is, in fact, consistent with the disconnect they possess with her and the show, where you must ALWAYS follow your principles, or you're a bad person. I mean, just look at "Equinox" to see this in action. Won't deny she was a poor leader. I'm just saying, this seems like it's overly stupid to claim she could have gotten them home. It really seems as if there wasn't a way back home given the deadline. How she handled it, though... yeah, that's why Voyager sucks.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
MightyDavidson
Officer

Post by MightyDavidson »

Yukaphile wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:00 pm Two problems with this. One is that I seriously doubt the Kazon would fall for this, especially since with reinforcements coming, they're more inclined to take what they want rather than bargain for it. Given how they're portrayed throughout the rest of the series. And two is that, and this is the most glaringly obvious, while it would have been a nice try to attempt that, that doesn't fit in with the fetishized holier-than-our Federation dogma which Janeway subscribes to. That she wouldn't want to deceive even the enemy is, in fact, consistent with the disconnect they possess with her and the show, where you must ALWAYS follow your principles, or you're a bad person. I mean, just look at "Equinox" to see this in action. Won't deny she was a poor leader. I'm just saying, this seems like it's overly stupid to claim she could have gotten them home. It really seems as if there wasn't a way back home given the deadline. How she handled it, though... yeah, that's why Voyager sucks.
Yes, yes the Kazon would fall for this. The Kazon are suffering from a water shortage on a desert planet because they aren't bright enough to take their spaceship and fly to a different that has water in order to get it. The Kazon are dumb, so dumb that the Borg refuse to assimilate them due to their lack of intelligence.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Could be implied there are not planets within arm's reach that have water, or that are not already contested. Water is a very precious gem here on Earth. It could indeed be rare in that sector of space, at least from the writing perspective. So don't bring that argument here, please.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
TrueMetis
Officer

Post by TrueMetis »

Who needs other planets? Water is one of the most common molecules in the universe. And even if somehow they need to turn hydrogen and oxygen into water instead of finding it then that's the 1st and 3rd most common elements respectively. In a solar system with a planet that can support life it is literally impossible for there not to be tons of those things everywhere.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Okay, point conceded, but that's purely script contrivance, not any actual credence to how the Kazon would fare once reinforcements got there. Jabin knew they were coming, and it's not the first time the Kazon have been overconfident. So yeah, even threatening them to do that, I don't think it would work.
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

I imagine that later episodes blaming Janeway was more the crew just being human(-oid) and not being fair to her due to the frustrations of their situation; or at least, that's what makes the most sense. And I could be wrong, but I think some of that frustration was spoken and stoked by Seska, who was just fulfilling the role of evil mutineer if so.

Of course, no doubt Janeway failing to defend herself was part of it too. Similar to how people blame her for siding with the Borg after the events of Scorpion (both out of universe and in), even though as presented she had every reason to believe that Species 8472 were the greater threat. It's odd how many times Janeway makes a perfectly reasonable decision in the moment but later on is presented as if she did something horrible and fails to properly defend herself "shrug"
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

You a Janeway fan? Because I am not. I just wanna debate her decision here, see where this argument goes.

I mean, her actions directly led to the Borg assimilating a species that had evaded them for centuries. She ignored those warnings Chakotay was giving her, arguably out of a sense of revenge over what they'd done to Harry, not just to get home, and once confronted with the consequences of her own actions hitting her in the face... well, she didn't want to warn a primitive planet they would die out because "you don't know what the consequences will be." And then when given a chance to reflect on it here, nothing... nothing happens. She doesn't loosen up on how dogmatically she follows the Prime Direction, or realize maybe bending your principles can work if it will fulfill a greater good. Nope. Take "Equinox" to get a clear idea what I mean. If she can "rescind" the Prime Directive in "The Omega Directive," if a captain has that authority, then why can't she do so elsewhere? Getting involved in the war between the Borg and Species 8472 was a clear violation of the Prime Directive.
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

I wouldn't say I'm a Janeway "fan" exactly, but I can usually see her point of view and can agree that the plot of given episodes kind of forced her to make certain decisions.

I don't think she's averse to bending her principles- one of the problems with the character is that she can be very dogmatic in one episode and ruthlessly pragmatic in another, depending on who is writing her. When your actress jokes that she played her character as if she was Bipolar, you know you are not being the most consistent writers in the world.

I'm more saying that sometimes her choices made perfect sense at the time, but in later episodes she fails to articulate that well or doesn't even seem interested in trying, mostly because the plot wants drama.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Yeah, Janeway being bipolar makes so much sense.
DisgruntleFairy
Redshirt

Post by DisgruntleFairy »

Janeway could have also traded for access to the array. After all this is a species that is lacking water and other simple necessities. She could have easily given them bits of tech that would be minimally impactful but they would have appreciated to stall for time.

After all this is the species who thought a line on the ground was a good prison. The same people who thought Seska was a tactical and technological genius.