Mexicans provide humanitarian aid to migrant caravan

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: Mexicans provide humanitarian aid to migrant caravan

Post by Yukaphile »

The world is filled with cruelty. Maybe we should try a bit of kindness every once in a while. And if you're worried about the criminals, one thing that could help, I feel, is legalizing weed - nationwide. That would just cripple the cartels and their wallets. Won't destroy them, but might make their lives over there more bearable - the average citizen, I mean. N-Not drug dealers. :oops:
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:51 am
Darth Wedgius wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:26 am
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:36 am Let's go further and set aside Legality. What is your moral argument for doing this? What is your moral defense for macing children so they can't cross this line? Let's ignore the lines in the sands and laws on books and tell me what's so bad about letting these people into the country.
Fuzzy, why does the caravan want in? Seriously. What makes the U.S. better than where they left? Not "in what ways is it better," but why do those changes exist? Is there something in the water? Something in the soil? Is it at just the right latitudes when the earth is just the right distance from the sun for those yellow sun rays?

Maybe it's the same reason Europe is where a lot of people from the middle east try to get into?

I know you didn't want to answer my last question, but maybe this will appeal to you better. There's certainly an assumption you could make about my motives that might thrill you a little.
So is the idea I say "to get away from the gangs menacing them and people persecuting them", and you go "Aha! You see, if we let EVERYONE in, the gangs will follow!"?
:roll:

No. Though if we had open borders, sure, we might get more gangs from south of the border, but that isn't why they want into the U.S. in particular. They were offered asylum in Mexico and most chose to continue on to the U.S.

Why do you think that is?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Because we're a First World nation, one that screwed them over... and one that has better opportunities... the American Dream... a slice of the pie...

And this is why I blocked you.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Antiboyscout
Captain

Post by Antiboyscout »

Yukaphile wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:33 am Because we're a First World nation, one that screwed them over... and one that has better opportunities... the American Dream... a slice of the pie...

And this is why I blocked you.
That slice of pie shrinks with every immigrant that crosses the boarder. This is the reason Unions have abandoned the Democrats an gone with Trump. It's also why, despite everything, Trump has the support of around 1/3 of Mexican voters. They don't want the competition ether.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I think it's a myth the unions have abandoned the Democrats and backed Trump. Anything you hear that claims otherwise is far right lies. Look at all the unions that endorse Clinton and even Sanders.

If some union workers didn't back her, she wouldn't have got the popular vote. But I bet you believe there's millions of dead people and illegals voting. So tell me, compadre. How many votes do you think it was that swayed the popular vote from your candidate? Because even Obama got the popular vote twice. Oh but I bet you think those were rigged too. It's all conspiracy theory to convince yourself the US is a hard right country. :roll:
Antiboyscout
Captain

Post by Antiboyscout »

Yukaphile wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:34 am I think it's a myth the unions have abandoned the Democrats and backed Trump. Anything you hear that claims otherwise is far right lies. Look at all the unions that endorse Clinton and even Sanders.

If some union workers didn't back her, she wouldn't have got the popular vote. But I bet you believe there's millions of dead people and illegals voting. So tell me, compadre. How many votes do you think it was that swayed the popular vote from your candidate? Because even Obama got the popular vote twice. Oh but I bet you think those were rigged too. It's all conspiracy theory to convince yourself the US is a hard right country. :roll:
Did you have fun beating up that strawman? When have I said any of those things.

As for unions, that's why the rustbelt went for Trump.

As for the popular vote, it doesn't matter how many people you win in California or New York, you need the support of more states than that.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

True. That's why Michigan also went red, I guess. Lots of old-fashioned workers there afraid of change, afraid of stuff like alternate energy,