Doctor Who: The Movie

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Aotrs Commander
Officer

Re: Doctor Who: The Movie

Post by Aotrs Commander »

KotoR 1 and 2 were good, TIE Fighter was the best; NJO was utterly fracking awful and I gave up on it after three books when I realised that not even my second-favourite SW author could make me even *tolerate it.* I don't even grant the vong the privilage of their full name or capitalisation quite deliberately. After that whole crapshow ended, I briefly tried the next series of books, made it thrugh Allston's one fine and then got bored through Traviss's first (though it wasn't until later and learning about... that stuff that I was unsurprised) and gave up reading anything more that was not written by Zahn.

How did we get to Star Wars from Doctor Who...?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

No reason they couldn't have included a cleaned-up version of the Vong on the big screen, fix all the errors, except other than to sell nostalgia like with TFA. And again, that was only temporary. The EU is gone. Luke, Leia, and Han are gone. It's just... bleh.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Aotrs Commander wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:38 am KotoR 1 and 2 were good, TIE Fighter was the best
And TIE Fighter was IIRC the first time we actually got to see and hear Thrawn. Damned fine game that.
Ikiry0
Officer

Post by Ikiry0 »

englerp wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:56 am Oh, that film. There was some potential, but it was just not good. At least it gave us Paul Mcgann. Also the Tardis interior was nice.

Concerning the current series, i like the Doctor, i like the companions, i just find the stories a but underwhelming, not bad , but there were no stand out episodes yet. (Even though the Rosa Parks episode comes close).

Still enjoy it all in all, though.
I think the new series is a solid season but lacking a bit of it's own voice so far. The doctor feels a bit left in Tennant's shadow, like they're telling her 'Be more like Tennant' (Which was the worst parts of Matt Smith, too, trying to be Tennant). I think Demons and Kerblam! were good episodes but she's yet to show her 'Dalek', an episode that blows the stuff around it out of the water and really shows her individual voice.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Yukaphile wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:23 am No reason they couldn't have included a cleaned-up version of the Vong on the big screen, fix all the errors, except other than to sell nostalgia like with TFA. And again, that was only temporary. The EU is gone. Luke, Leia, and Han are gone. It's just... bleh.
And in the case of Carrie Fisher - actually gone. That's it. The chance is blown to have these three iconic characters team up one last time. I get that its MaREY Sue's film not theirs, but a decent director/writer would have recognised that the fans would want these three together one last time before they are ripped apart. And that's why you get fans to make these films, not people who admit that its just another job to them.
(And no, bits and pieces of reused footage cobbled together and/or a CGI Leia is not the same. Not even close).
Aotrs Commander
Officer

Post by Aotrs Commander »

Yukaphile wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:23 am No reason they couldn't have included a cleaned-up version of the Vong on the big screen, fix all the errors, except other than to sell nostalgia like with TFA. And again, that was only temporary. The EU is gone. Luke, Leia, and Han are gone. It's just... bleh.
I don't think, except by changing *everything* except the name, there is anything at *all* you could salvage from the vong; even at the most basic level they were a tired cliché that even Warhammer 40K (and I do not like 40K) did better. They are among the very worst antagonists (let alone created civilisations/species period) I have ever had the misfortune of encountering.
cdrood
Officer

Post by cdrood »

Well, back to the Doctor Who movie. I knew from the beginning there was a problem when for some reason the Daleks would give a crap what The Master's last request was, or even bother with anything so formal as an execution. Then they let The Doctor come, pick up the remains, and leave.

Sure they've been willing to play possum on occasion, but actually letting The Doctor come and go without any good reason was just a complete misunderstanding of them.
AllanO
Officer

Post by AllanO »

cdrood wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:46 pm Well, back to the Doctor Who movie. I knew from the beginning there was a problem when for some reason the Daleks would give a crap what The Master's last request was, or even bother with anything so formal as an execution. Then they let The Doctor come, pick up the remains, and leave.
As I recall they just said tried and executed on Skaro, not executed by Daleks. The Daleks are not the only people who have lived on/dominated Skaro. Skaro was for sometime after the rise of the Daleks dominated by the Thals the race/nation that had the atomic war with the Daleks precursors the Kaleds. Also I think some episodes show it as abandoned so who know who or what set up there at times...
Yours Truly,
Allan Olley

"It is with philosophy as with religion : men marvel at the absurdity of other people's tenets, while exactly parallel absurdities remain in their own." John Stuart Mill
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

cdrood wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:46 pm Sure they've been willing to play possum on occasion, but actually letting The Doctor come and go without any good reason was just a complete misunderstanding of them.
It wouldn't surprise me to learn there's a novel detailing the trap laid here, and The Doctor's miraculous escape from it (along with the remains of The Master).
Trooper924
Redshirt

Post by Trooper924 »

cdrood wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:46 pm Well, back to the Doctor Who movie. I knew from the beginning there was a problem when for some reason the Daleks would give a crap what The Master's last request was, or even bother with anything so formal as an execution. Then they let The Doctor come, pick up the remains, and leave.

Sure they've been willing to play possum on occasion, but actually letting The Doctor come and go without any good reason was just a complete misunderstanding of them.
I recall reading somewhere (the Doctor Who wiki, perhaps?) that it was all part of a failed attempt to avert the Time War. The Time Lords themselves handed the Master over the Daleks to execute as a form of restitution.