STD: What's Past is Prologue

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Meushell
Officer

Re: STD: What's Past is Prologue

Post by Meushell »

I started out liking DIS, despite the flaws. It seemed to get better with each episode. This episode was where it started going downhill for me. Lorca had been such a wonderfully interesting character. Finding out he was from the mirror universe could have added new layers to him. He could have learned something from his time in the prime universe. He lied because of the place he came from, but he could have had a final goal to save his followers, and bring them to a better place. Instead, he turned into a cartoon villain.
G-Man
Officer

Post by G-Man »

Anytime we get something with the plot that "this could destroy the UNIVERSE!" or beyond this universe to other universes, it loses my interest.

Honestly, in Trek we do not have the technology to leave the galaxy. If we could tap into tech that destroys the entire universe, then someone in some other galaxy would have already done so by now.

Raising the stakes too high just makes all the other stakes seem unimportant - particularly if the stakes are raised for something that is not a series-long arc.
"You say I'm a dreamer/we're two of a kind/looking for some perfect world/we know we'll never find" - Thompson Twins
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

So you have no interest in Dragon Ball Super, DC, Marvel? LOL. Galaxy Quest too.

I gotta agree with that, though. The tech is inconsistent. Completely and utterly.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
thisithis
Officer

Post by thisithis »

Well, the point of all stupidly dumb decisions has finally come to Star trek proving that Star Trek: Discovery is the Stargate: Universe of bad tv shows. With Star Trek: Discovery you have Michael making one dumb ass decision after another, and Stargate: Universe you had a bunch of scientists thinking that they take on well-trained Marines in hand to hand combat. in Stargate: Universe we also had a Marine as a woman got kidnapped by aliens. if sfdebris ever reviews Stargate: Universe he'll probably have a contest on who is the stupidest with Star Trek: Discovery and Stargate: Universe ranking at the top.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

Worffan101 wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:36 am
Durandal_1707 wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:55 am ^ All you need to know is that The Orville had a "hilarious" "comedy" episode about date rape.

You don't want to know more than that, and you definitely don't want to watch the episode.

It rather impressively managed to beat out Doctor Who's "Love and Monsters" for the title of worst episode of anything I've ever seen, ever.

I'd rather watch a DS9 Ferengi marathon with Neelix scenes special-editioned in than see that episode again.
I was surprised that it wasn't written by Brannon Braga, it had the same rough concept as ENT: "Unexpected". Only with sex hormones.

What is it with Star Trek and creepy rape episodes?
It was way worse than "Unexpected." Not even in the same ballpark.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

It's not that surprising. I mean, ReBoot at this point has become a Code Lyoko ripoff. It happens in today's uncreative world.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

I feel bad but I did find that episode rather funny. Well, parts of it. And Rob Lowe is great. But, yeah, not a fan of letting her off the hook like that (real or implied) and... yeah, so rapey. The guy has not shame. Ugh, somebody on the Orville Reddit was actually defending him, like what he did was equivalent to really pretty people making others melt. My least favorite episode is the voting one I think.

Not sure if he'd jump ahead in the show like that though. Guess it depends if how many requested it. I hope we get another episode sometime soon. Maybe when Discovery is over.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Whether it's a her or a him, implied unwanted touching is ALWAYS wrong, period! Before someone can accuse me of being an SJW, let me set that straight right here, right now.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Yukaphile wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:00 am Whether it's a her or a him, implied unwanted touching is ALWAYS wrong, period! Before someone can accuse me of being an SJW, let me set that straight right here, right now.
Pretty sure everyone already thinks you are a moral crusader including your fellow crusaders.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Durandal_1707 wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:30 am
Worffan101 wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:36 am
Durandal_1707 wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:55 am ^ All you need to know is that The Orville had a "hilarious" "comedy" episode about date rape.

You don't want to know more than that, and you definitely don't want to watch the episode.

It rather impressively managed to beat out Doctor Who's "Love and Monsters" for the title of worst episode of anything I've ever seen, ever.

I'd rather watch a DS9 Ferengi marathon with Neelix scenes special-editioned in than see that episode again.
I was surprised that it wasn't written by Brannon Braga, it had the same rough concept as ENT: "Unexpected". Only with sex hormones.

What is it with Star Trek and creepy rape episodes?
It was way worse than "Unexpected." Not even in the same ballpark.
I never watched Orville - I had visions of ''Red Dwarf meets Family Guy'' which put me off as I don't particularly like Family Guy. But a date rape scene more offensive than ''Unexpected?'' Wow! That is some going.
I've noticed that date rape or forced touching seems to be a grey area in fiction even today. We all agree that rape itself is bad, but then we have examples such as ''Unexpected'', or the love potions in Harry Potter where every example of their use besides Voldemort is played for laughs, or Owen with his pheromone spray in the pilot of Torchwood, or Amy Pond trying to forcibly kiss Eleven and then laughing about it, or Admiral Holdo and Princess Leia creepily remarking how cute Poe is whilst standing over his unconscious body in TLJ, or MANY episodes of The Simpsons. And I can list many more. Its... an odd double standard.