Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
SabreMau
Officer

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

Post by SabreMau »

ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Re: Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

Post by ChrisTheLovableJerk »

I admit that for a while I didn't care for Mask of the Phantasm because it was so hyped up to me as this masterpiece and the 'perfect Batman movie', so I was somewhat unimpressed at first, but as time went by I accepted it on its own terms and came to really enjoy it. The animation, voice acting, and music (and the song 'I Never Even Told You') is all great and the story is pretty good, though I disagree with Chuck when he said the story is low-stakes, as the part with the cops nearly capturing Batman or even about to kill him seemed pretty high stakes to me.

And for those of you wondering what happened to Joker at the end... well, for a while Mask of the Phantasm originally envisioned as a finale to Batman TAS, thus Joker dies at the end. Then when they did the second season, Joker's just back and no body brings up the events of MotP.

If you want to know what happened, look up the first Batman and Robin Adventures annual, Shadow of the Phantasm, as it serves as a sequel to this movie and I honestly wonder why they didn't make it into an episode of the show.
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

Disappointed Chuck didn't seem to notice that one of the cops in the car chase with not-yet-Batman was a young Harvey Bullock.

Also, can't help but notice- and not for the first time- that Andrea is basically Selina Kyle (or at least, B:TAS Selina Kyle) if she had a happier home life and wasn't moonlighting as a costumed cat burglar (and, even then, she ends up "costumed serial killer" instead. They even look pretty similar.

Also also, am I the only one who never noticed that Phantasm and Mr Beaumont shared a voice actor? I was pretty young when I first saw it I admit, but I don't think I EVER thought it was anyone other than Andrea.
Last edited by Jonathan101 on Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

There’s a moment in Mask of the Phantasm that reminds me a bit of All-Star Superman. That series is more complete, but both contain a scene that is utterly definitive of both characters.
This is that moment for Supes: https://goo.gl/images/EujqZM

For Bats? Bruce Wayne, storm surging around him as he begs, on his knees, at the foot of his parent’s grave. Begs for permission. To stop, to be happy. To hear at last that he is forgiven, and has done enough.
He can never hear those words, and that’s why he does it. Goes out night after night. Devotes his every waking moment to the never-ending battle. Never gives up, never sells himself out.
It can never be enough, because the only ones who could say it will never speak again.
Last edited by CmdrKing on Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Post by ChrisTheLovableJerk »

Jonathan101 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:01 pm Disappointed Chuck didn't seem to notice that one of the cops in the car chase with not-yet-Batman was a young Harvey Dent.
Harvey Bullock actually.
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

ChrisTheLovableJerk wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:21 pm
Jonathan101 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:01 pm Disappointed Chuck didn't seem to notice that one of the cops in the car chase with not-yet-Batman was a young Harvey Dent.
Harvey Bullock actually.
Crap. Edited.

(too many Harveys in Gotham City)
MerelyAFan
Officer

Post by MerelyAFan »

CmdrKing wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:20 pm There’s a moment in Mask of the Phantasm that reminds me a bit of All-Star Superman. That series is more complete, but both contain a scene that is utterly definitive of both characters.
This is that moment for Supes: https://goo.gl/images/EujqZM

For Bats? Bruce Wayne, storm surging around him as he begs, on his knees, at the foot of his parent’s grave. Begs for permission. To stop, to be happen. To hear at last that he is forgiven, and has done enough.
He can never hear those words, and that’s why he does it. Goes out night after night. Devotes his every waking moment to the never-ending battle. Never gives up, never sells himself out.
It can never be enough, because the only ones who could say it will never speak again.
Its interesting to think about that scene in the context of comic stories like the Button where you have alternate universe Thomas Wayne begging Bruce to give up being Batman and for him to embrace being a father in way Thomas couldn't.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

A good comic has Ra's Al Ghul give some magic potion to Bruce that let's him speak with the dead.

Appropriately enough, Thomas Wayne is horrified that Bruce tortures himself night after night instead of honoring their legacy by being a doctor or a philanthropist.

Alfred is the one who points out Bruce can be his own man in that subject.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Wow I was not expecting this review. Didn't notice it in the upcoming list.

While I'll admit that the hype's a bit strong now, 10 year old me wasn't really let down by it. I saw it and someone in my 5th grade class said it was pretty good as if he was considering it opposite any other kind of movie (instead of an episode of a kid's show).

Even considering how the show included mobsters in it, I thought they were done rather classy in this movie. The drama certainly filled the time well.

The inclusion of Joker I just found novel and not really at his best, though also I find myself missing Harley Quinn whenever I watch this.
..What mirror universe?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

So much great material involving this incarnation of Batman. TAS, this film, Justice League Unlimited, Batman Beyond... and those behind the DC film universe still wonders why everyone regards their films as crap. Did you genuinely think that we wanted the Batman you gave us? Some crazed psycho who uses guns and cries when his mother's name is mentioned? You genuinely thought that when the animated Batman has so much critical acclaim even after twenty plus years?
Lol. Say what you like about Marvel, but they were soaring off into the sunset in a gold-plated Ferrari whilst DC were still trying to jump start their Yugo.