STD: What's Past is Prologue

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: STD: What's Past is Prologue

Post by Madner Kami »

I'm still convinced, that Lorca was never really meant to be a mirror image, but that they had other plans with him, only setting it up as a Plan B. People picked up on it and saw it as the only reason to justify how Lorca is not particularly Starfleet-y, so Plan B was set into motion to please the audience expectations. And, seriously, Lorca being evil, mirror image or not, is somewhat obvious. How this could escape the attention of his entire crew and, by extension, Starfleet, is beyond me.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

I believe that's true, though not as a Plan B, but as a synthesis. It sounds like Fuller's idea was the Evil Rogue Officers stuff from the first half, and then when he left they swerved the second half of the season into this whole Mirror-Universe plot and used it to graft a justification onto Lorca's actions instead of playing the corruption straight. I suppose we'll find out the truth someday in interviews and biographies.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

PartyTimeMentats wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:32 pm
Is Barbara an adult who can consent or not?
She's 18 or 19 sure, she can consent. But she's also half his age, the daughter of his best friend, and dated his adopted son.

There are SO many squick issues there.
LordUltimus
Redshirt

Post by LordUltimus »

RobbyB1982 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:43 am
She's 18 or 19 sure, she can consent. But she's also half his age, the daughter of his best friend, and dated his adopted son.

He's also her boss.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

RobbyB1982 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:43 am

So technically speaking the only problem here is that you personally feel weirded out?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I won't lie, I'm keeping clear of Chuck's STD reviews. I'm too worried he won't tear them a new one. And that he praised it in his "Juggernaut" review for not resorting to "technical gibberish" when I preferred TNG's "non-action, solve your problems with thinking" approach... convinced me, yeah, it's probably for the best.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

Yukaphile wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:27 pm I won't lie, I'm keeping clear of Chuck's STD reviews. I'm too worried he won't tear them a new one. And that he praised it in his "Juggernaut" review for not resorting to "technical gibberish" when I preferred TNG's "non-action, solve your problems with thinking" approach... convinced me, yeah, it's probably for the best.
We won't know his overall thoughts until he finishes the last 2 episodes but so far he's had plenty of complaints about it. He doesn't rabidly attack it or anything but he points out plenty of flaws. I get the impression he thinks it's ok at best with major flaws.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Well, he's shown greater hatred towards Voyager and Enterprise, and I think STD is far worse. It's just... bleh. Even Enterprise had more character, and wasted potential.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Yukaphile wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:02 pm Well, he's shown greater hatred towards Voyager and Enterprise, and I think STD is far worse. It's just... bleh. Even Enterprise had more character, and wasted potential.
Firts season ENT vs DISCO...

More interesting and better acted character than Saru?

More interesting character than Stamets?

Better fight choreography?

better phaser and sapce fights?
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

Yukaphile wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:02 pm Well, he's shown greater hatred towards Voyager and Enterprise, and I think STD is far worse. It's just... bleh. Even Enterprise had more character, and wasted potential.
He's had decades to cultivate his feelings towards those shows, and a lot of it is exaggerated for comedy and pointing out the stupid stuff or wasted potential.

Discovery he seems to downright dislike. Just look at the theme song he chose for it.