Babylon 5: Grail

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
turbo_sailor67
Officer

Re: Babylon 5: Grail

Post by turbo_sailor67 »

DanteC wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:27 pm Season 1 is an unfortunate trudge, but it's building it's world from the ground up, characters, backstory, mysteries and all. B5 does feature a lot of questing in it's stories, and the Camelot mythology is a major influence. Grail is an obvious example, but third-season episode A Late Delivery from Avalon is similar in themes at least, and as I remember, pulled off a far better story.
I used to think the entirety of Season 1 was totally forgettable, and the show didn't really pick up for me as a kid until season 2 with Sheridan. Now having the entire series in iTunes, I actually like season 1. Yeah it's on the weak side, but even it's weaker episodes I find more enjoyable than the "best" of some other shows. I admit the fact that they mean the Holy Grail literally does always miss hitting me for the episode, until now at least. All the talk of it and Avalon and David Warner just makes me want to watch that particular Saga in Gargoyles; which maybe we will eventually see reviewed.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

The fuck did I just watch? :O
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

A Season 1 episode. Nuff said :-P
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Is it really that bad? The rest of Season 1 seems good, at least in my mind, but this was mostly... confusing. How much does it improve later on? I mostly see fans complain Season 5 wasn't so good either though.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

It improves exponentially. Season 2's first few episodes are a bit awkward, because they had to shoehorn in a sudden cast change due to actor problems, but then there's a certain episode that won a Hugo award that changes everything. I'm not even going to give you its title, so that it will take you completely by surprise.

Season 5 is a bit of a weird duck, because JMS was told the show was going to be cancelled after Season 4, so he crammed as much arc stuff that was planned for Season 5 into Season 4 as he could. The result is that Season 4 is intense, with not a single standalone episode in it, whereas the first half of Season 5 is a bit "okay, what now?". The second half of Season 5 is good though.

Season 1 has a lot of episodes that introduce elements that show up later, but some of them are not essential. I'd put this one, TKO, and "Infection" at the top of my "probably skip" list, as none of them really matter in the long run.