Brexit Rambles

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: Brexit Rambles

Post by Madner Kami »

Slash Gallagher wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:50 pm
Madner Kami wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:16 pm It's still the greatest laughing matter I can think of right now. I sincerely wish for the UK to loose some of it's spechul rights, when they decide to call off BrExit, both as penance for the damage they did to both themselves and the EU at large, as well as a means of eliminating specialties in a community of theoretical equals.
The EU is not at fault at all?
As far as I am aware, the EU did not vote for BrExit and the EU did nothing to stop the UK from attempting to leave. So, no. The EU is not at fault at all and if you want to argue the point that the UK wanting to leave the EU is caused by the EU in the first place, then there's one simple thing to point out: The UK is a voting member of the EU. Whatever is wrong with the EU is, in part, down to the UK as well.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

So we uh...might have made a mistake here...
The number of people who believe the UK was wrong to vote to leave the European Union has reached its highest point yet.

Poll data, released by YouGov and first published in The Times, asked people whether, in “hindsight”, they thought the UK was “right or wrong to vote to leave the European Union”.

The survey, of 1,624 people, found that 49 per cent thought the Brexit vote was the wrong decision, marking the highest figure to date.
So if this poll is accurate, and with the expected ruling that Britain can indeed just say "oops" and forget this whole thing, what are the odds that they do just that?
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

They won't. They can't. Their only way out of this is another plebiscite, which will only strengthen the anti-EU wing of the UK and that will backfire on both the UK and the EU in too many ways to be a good idea.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

Madner Kami wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:16 pmTheir only way out of this is another plebiscite, which will only strengthen the anti-EU wing of the UK and that will backfire on both the UK and the EU in too many ways to be a good idea.
Wait, they don't actually NEED a plebiscite, do they? Parliament is the body that invoked Article 50, and they are presumably the body that could revoke it. They don't need a referendum...though I can see how they would like one.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

LittleRaven wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:08 pm
Madner Kami wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:16 pmTheir only way out of this is another plebiscite, which will only strengthen the anti-EU wing of the UK and that will backfire on both the UK and the EU in too many ways to be a good idea.
Wait, they don't actually NEED a plebiscite, do they? Parliament is the body that invoked Article 50, and they are presumably the body that could revoke it. They don't need a referendum...though I can see how they would like one.
Legally, as far as I am aware (note: not a UK citizen or lawyer here), the referendum has exactly zero legal authority. My point merely is, that if the UK government backs out of the BrExit (ignoring for a second what the EU has to say in that matter), they're done politcally for the foreseeable future, so their only way out is a second referendum.
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Madner Kami wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:09 am
Slash Gallagher wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:50 pm
Madner Kami wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:16 pm It's still the greatest laughing matter I can think of right now. I sincerely wish for the UK to loose some of it's spechul rights, when they decide to call off BrExit, both as penance for the damage they did to both themselves and the EU at large, as well as a means of eliminating specialties in a community of theoretical equals.
The EU is not at fault at all?
As far as I am aware, the EU did not vote for BrExit and the EU did nothing to stop the UK from attempting to leave. So, no. The EU is not at fault at all and if you want to argue the point that the UK wanting to leave the EU is caused by the EU in the first place, then there's one simple thing to point out: The UK is a voting member of the EU. Whatever is wrong with the EU is, in part, down to the UK as well.
Part down...

You say it like they had a third of all parlamentary seats and important positions.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Madner Kami wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:26 pm
LittleRaven wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:08 pm
Legally, as far as I am aware (note: not a UK citizen or lawyer here), the referendum has exactly zero legal authority. My point merely is, that if the UK government backs out of the BrExit (ignoring for a second what the EU has to say in that matter), they're done politcally for the foreseeable future, so their only way out is a second referendum.
The quickest way to getting a Donald Trump style populist leader into the UK is to cancel Brexit. Speaking as a Brexiteer that does NOT want that to happen; losing a second referendum (or worse, having it just stripped from me by politicians) will not silence anyone like me that has wanted to leave for decades. This idea that Brexit happened solely because of some shit written on the side of a bus and we just need the lies exposed to us exists only in the feel-good thoughts of Remainers. We do not want to join the federalist dream of the EU and we will not be going anywhere win or lose. And if that dream means voting in someone undesirable... well, like I said, I wouldn't do it. But there is plenty of evidence that it can.
LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

Ok, Brexit news time.

The EU is drawing a line in the sand.
Jean-Claude Juncker has said there is “no room whatsoever” for renegotiating the Brexit deal as Theresa May returns to Brussels in an attempt to reopen talks.
As far as I can tell, Theresa May is basically planning on using the spectre of a no-deal Brexit to force Parliament to accept her deal come March. Do I have that right?
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

LittleRaven wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:57 pm Ok, Brexit news time.

The EU is drawing a line in the sand.
Jean-Claude Juncker has said there is “no room whatsoever” for renegotiating the Brexit deal as Theresa May returns to Brussels in an attempt to reopen talks.
As far as I can tell, Theresa May is basically planning on using the spectre of a no-deal Brexit to force Parliament to accept her deal come March. Do I have that right?
Yup.

The EU offered a rather generous deal, even leaving some backdoors to allow the UK easy and preferential dealings with the EU via Northern Ireland. The BrExiters didn't like the complete deal for various good and bad reasons and didn't want it, for some reason prefering a Hard BrExit, which is the worst possible outcome, objectively imo. May on herself can't power the agreement through parliament and so this is her way to either force the agreement through parliament or absolve herself of the things that are about to happen.
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

Theresa May faces no confidence vote this evening (UK 6-8pm) https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-46535739