How badly is Star Trek Galaxy going to suck?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: How badly is Star Trek Galaxy going to suck?

Post by Yukaphile »

Yes. STD is far worse.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Yukaphile wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:03 pm Yes. STD is far worse.
Come on now. VOY gave 7 seasons of suck. DISCO has one season.

Who on STD from the main cast has as little charisma as ensign Kim?

You cannot deny the quality of the stunts and fights is like 4 times better.

At least on DISCO no actor was phonning it in.

I could go on and on....
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Only seen ST via Chuck's reviews so my opinion on it probably isn't worth much, but: Yes, it looks better (silly Klingon makeup aside). But beyond that Voyager was just bland too much of the time, Discovery sounds actively bad. The stories don't sound like anything to care about and the characters have not come across as people I want to know anything more about. It sounds like another piece of fiction that's fallen into the trap of "We need to be realistic and what's realistic is everything going wrong and everyone being miserable and unpleasant." Not even I'm that pessimistic.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Slash Gallagher wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:11 pm

I could go on and on....
Doesn't that tell you something though? That after only one season people hate it more than any show before it?

Who on the STD main cast has as little charisma as Ensign Kim? Going solely by Chuck's reviews, does the cyborg woman even have a character? And personally, I would take a wooden Kim over Hollywood autism Tilly any day. I find that whenever someone makes a character that I am meant to find endearing, they come off annoying as f-.

I find stunts and fight scenes to be of little importance compared to a decent story.

Who was phoning in their performance in any of the first seasons of the other shows either? Even Chakotay was visibly trying in season 1.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

clearspira wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:18 pm
Slash Gallagher wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:11 pm

I could go on and on....
Doesn't that tell you something though? That after only one season people hate it more than any season before it?

Who on the STD main cast has as little charisma as Ensign Kim? Going solely by Chuck's reviews, does the cyborg woman even have a character? And personally, I would take a wooden Kim over Hollywood autism Tilly any day. I find that whenever someone makes a character that I am meant to find endearing, they come off annoying as f-.

I find stunts and fight scenes to be of little importance compared to a decent story.

Who was phoning in their performance in any of the first seasons of the other shows either? Even Chakotay was visibly trying in season 1.
How did you quantify that hate?

If it was really hated it would cancleed. TNG and VIY would get cancelled in today's more competitive tv series market.

The Cyborg chick is not a main character.

Both have some serious story problems...

So stunts do matter.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

What they said. It's trying to be realistic, in today's world, in which human beings are awful, shitty creatures, justice is a lie, love is dead, and soon there's gonna be more war that kills good people and leaves the disgusting people alive. Do we really wanna see that reflected in our entertainment?
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Slash Gallagher wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:25 pmIf it was really hated it would canceled. TNG and VIY would get cancelled in today's more competitive tv series market.
Like Firefly? Or Farscape? Or Stargate Universe?
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Yukaphile wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:27 pm What they said. It's trying to be realistic, in today's world, in which human beings are awful, shitty creatures, justice is a lie, love is dead, and soon there's gonna be more war that kills good people and leaves the disgusting people alive. Do we really wanna see that reflected in our entertainment?
Humans are awful compared to what magical past?

Calm down neocons are almost radio silent now.

They overshot at the end with the darkness but it was mostly okay.
Madner Kami wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:33 pm
Slash Gallagher wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:25 pmIf it was really hated it would canceled. TNG and VIY would get cancelled in today's more competitive tv series market.
Like Firefly? Oh wait...
Good shows get cancelled, i was talking about this in the general state of the market. of course there will be some irrationality within the markets and weird market failures.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Even if Slash is right, it's an indication the market has changed for the worse from where it was twenty years ago. Because TNG > STD times a billion.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Yukaphile wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:36 pm Even if Slash is right, it's an indication the market has changed for the worse from where it was twenty years ago. Because TNG > STD times a billion.
TV or TV in qoutation marks got more complex in terms of plots and it has a larger place in the pop culture than it had.

More tv shows get launched so there is a bigger chance that some creators will create something great.