STD: What's Past is Prologue

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Re: STD: What's Past is Prologue

Post by Karha of Honor »

Admiral X wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:20 pm I thought it looked especially silly.
It's one of thsoe i get it if you don't think so situations.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

BunBun299 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:37 am The way Chuck tears into the Spore Drive in this review is what I've been waiting for. Teleporting around the multiverse because of magic mushrooms is stupid I'd expect Voyager and Enterprise to have enough sense to avoid. And they did avoid it. For all the zany schemes Voyager cooked up to get home, they never tried anything as dumb as magic mushrooms.
Voyager was brought into the Delta Quadrant in the first place by a sporo-cystian lifeform, a term which was never really defined in the show, but going by the name, presumably has something to do with spores. Also, "Equinox" on Voyager introduced the concept of extra-dimensional aliens that you can make you travel faster if you abuse them. So none of this is new, per se.

I could be wrong, but my expectation is that Discovery's going to involve the Caretaker's people at some point, and that they may have something to do with why the Federation dare not use this drive anymore in the future.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Durandal_1707 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:04 pm
BunBun299 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:37 am The way Chuck tears into the Spore Drive in this review is what I've been waiting for. Teleporting around the multiverse because of magic mushrooms is stupid I'd expect Voyager and Enterprise to have enough sense to avoid. And they did avoid it. For all the zany schemes Voyager cooked up to get home, they never tried anything as dumb as magic mushrooms.
Voyager was brought into the Delta Quadrant in the first place by a sporo-cystian lifeform, a term which was never really defined in the show, but going by the name, presumably has something to do with spores. Also, "Equinox" on Voyager introduced the concept of extra-dimensional aliens that you can make you travel faster if you abuse them. So none of this is new, per se.

I could be wrong, but my expectation is that Discovery's going to involve the Caretaker's people at some point, and that they may have something to do with why the Federation dare not use this drive anymore in the future.
I'm sure they will. And then we'll have to ask ourselves why Voyager had no knowledge of them.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

The fact that the Voyager crew already had a word for them, and that Harry Kim's tricorder had the ability to scan for them, means that the Federation must have already had at least some knowledge of sporo-cystian lifeforms prior to "Caretaker."
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Durandal_1707 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:55 pm The fact that the Voyager crew already had a word for them, and that Harry Kim's tricorder had the ability to scan for them, means that the Federation must have already had at least some knowledge of sporo-cystian lifeforms prior to "Caretaker."
Sporo means "relating to spores" and cystian, well, cyst, an organic sac of fluid. Neither are particularly special on their own and combined, I'd translate it as a sac of fluid with similar attributes to spores. You know what acts similar to spores in a hostile environment and is essentially a sac of fluid? Tardigrades. Hah!

But seriously now, there are a ton of microbial lifeforms and bacteria in general, that have spore-like qualities when being in a hostile environment. All of them can be grouped into "sporo-cystian lifeforms". It's fancy technobable (with no actual scientific background) for something really mundane and widespread and, honestly, I doubt any writer ever really thought about what it means.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

Of course it's unscientific technobabble. This is Star Trek after all. :P The fact remains that in the Trek canon, "sporo-cystian" is established as "fancy god-like alien that can magic you across the galaxy in an instant."
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Durandal_1707 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:20 pm Of course it's unscientific technobabble. This is Star Trek after all. :P The fact remains that in the Trek canon, "sporo-cystian" is established as "fancy god-like alien that can magic you across the galaxy in an instant."
I tend to disagree. The Caretaker is a sporo-cystian lifeform, not the sporo-cystian lifeform.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

Durandal_1707 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:04 pm

Highly unlikely. The only Trek CBS thinks people care about is TOS (and to be fair, only Trekkies really pay attention to Voyager anymore), and a "deep lore" nod like that is way beyond the wheelhouse of a lazy idiot like Alex Kurtzman, who doesn't even bother thinking through the consequences of the shit he throws in his scripts (see: Both scripts he wrote for the JJ movies).
Actarus
Officer

Post by Actarus »

clearspira wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:30 pm
Yukaphile wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:16 pm Oh? What theme song is it?
Here is the full text of the sound bite that Chuck chose:

Just stop your crying
It's a sign of the times
We gotta get away from here
Stop your crying
Baby, it will be alright
They told me that the end is near
It could reflect his opinion on the show, but I doubt it. Most of the theme songs he chose were not really related to the shows, except that they were contemporaneous with the show and were trippy enough. The song he chose for TOS is "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds", covered by William Shatner, a song of the 1960's. TAS is "Layla" by Eric Clapton, released in 1970 (TAS aired in 1973). TNG is "99 Red Baloons", by Nena, released in the 1980's like TNG. DS9 and "The Mystic's Dream" are both from the 1990's. Same with Voyager's "Harley and Indians". "Kryptonite" was released in 2000, while Enterprise first aired in 2001. Both Discovery and "Signs of the Time" are from 2017. Can we say that each of these songs relates in any way with its respective show? For myself, I can't see how "99 Red Baloons" reflects Chuck's opinion on TNG.

I'm looking forward to learn Chuck's opinion on the show though. As for myself, I think it is pretty solid, considering it's a first season.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Actarus wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:07 pm
clearspira wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:30 pm
Yukaphile wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:16 pm Oh? What theme song is it?
Here is the full text of the sound bite that Chuck chose:

Just stop your crying
It's a sign of the times
Stop your crying
Baby, it will be alright
They told me that the end is near
It could reflect his opinion on the show, but I doubt it. Most of the theme songs he chose were not really related to the shows, except that they were contemporaneous with the show and were trippy enough. The song he chose for TOS is "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds", covered by William Shatner, a song of the 1960's. TAS is "Layla" by Eric Clapton, released in 1970 (TAS aired in 1973). TNG is "99 Red Baloons", by Nena, released in the 1980's like TNG. DS9 and "The Mystic's Dream" are both from the 1990's. Same with Voyager's "Harley and Indians". "Kryptonite" was released in 2000, while Enterprise first aired in 2001. Both Discovery and "Signs of the Time" are from 2017. Can we say that each of these songs relates in any way with its respective show? For myself, I can't see how "99 Red Baloons" reflects Chuck's opinion on TNG.

I'm looking forward to learn Chuck's opinion on the show though. As for myself, I think it is pretty solid, considering it's a first season.
Yeah I think this has it down as far as what I was thinking. I was going to get into tone, but I have also felt that his attitude about the series is kinda on display. That's along with the scenes he picks too, as if to posit forehand that these projects aren't something we have to necessarily take too seriously while satirize this show a tad. Of course that's just my story and I'm sticking to it.

Though it is interesting. Nena seems to be a song about nuclear escalation in the Soviet era, while it also feels safe to say that TNG coming about at the tail end of the Cold War makes for a fitting pair. Lucy in the Sky w/ Diamonds if anything just fits the blaring contrast of TOS with later works with its ridiculously prevalent color design out of the 60's.
..What mirror universe?