Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Well I do believe that wage labor as an efficiency equilibrium doesn't innately correspond to what's ethical.

And yeah Marx is a philosophical contemporary of Freud. They both entered the realm and shined a light on something a lot of people didn't really notice.
..What mirror universe?
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

CmdrKing wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:48 pm Ehh, blaming Marx for the actions of Mao and Stalin is a bit like blaming Princip for the holocaust. There’s certainly a logic there but it’s not a very USEFUL way of parsing the problem.
Beyond that class inequity is a useful lens for fiction (some stories more than others) in any event, whatever you want to call it.
And I do think it at least might have been handled more fruitfully in Dark Knight Rises. I remember hearing about how Bane was a bit of an allegory for Facism, though I'm thinking maybe that falls into the same problem you're talking about concerning Wayne Enterprise not really being an adequate channel for Marxist concerns.

While Selena Kyle had a trailer scene where she down talks Wayne's social status, did that really resonate anywhere else in the story? I mean aside from maybe Bane emploring citizens of Gotham to retake the city despite his most prominent action being the release of all criminals to run a kangaroo court.
..What mirror universe?
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

The message of that movie was, "Class Warfare isn't something that will benefit anyone. It will be used by worse people to darker ends."

Which isn't a aesop I agree with necessarily but was a clear one.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

CharlesPhipps wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:20 am The message of that movie was, "Class Warfare isn't something that will benefit anyone. It will be used by worse people to darker ends."

Kinda random.
..What mirror universe?
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:17 am
CharlesPhipps wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:20 am The message of that movie was, "Class Warfare isn't something that will benefit anyone. It will be used by worse people to darker ends."

Kinda random.
Eh, is it? Bane used it the entire movie to rile up Gotham City.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

CharlesPhipps wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:33 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:17 am

Kinda random.
Eh, is it? Bane used it the entire movie to rile up Gotham City.
It just seems kinda superfluous. Ra's guise concerned vanquishing filth. He's out for domination just the same, but he wasn't making a grandiose public speech to try to persuade people. There was also the letter that Bane exposed to the public. Did that really affect things?
..What mirror universe?
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Well it's all about hurting Batman.

Bane was just saying, "These people will turn on each other and rich people like you at the drop of a hat."
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

CharlesPhipps wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:12 pm Well it's all about hurting Batman.

Bane was just saying, "These people will turn on each other and rich people like you at the drop of a hat."
What'd you think of the movie?
..What mirror universe?
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:13 pm What'd you think of the movie?
Its my least favorite of the three. It's not terrible but I felt like if you're going to use social inequity then it shouldn't be a smokescreen for a villainous revenge plot.
MightyDavidson
Officer

Post by MightyDavidson »

Wasn't fond of Dark Knight Rises myself. To be fair I didn't really go in to the movie open minded since I was still pissed off by the ending of The Dark Knight and the fact that the beginning of Dark Knight Rises essentially began by stating that crime was stopped in Gotham City without Batman, that Batman was essentially superfluous in a Batman movie just rubbed me the wrong way.