TOS: The Alternative Factor

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Yukaphile
Overlord

TOS: The Alternative Factor

Post by Yukaphile »

I was so happy SF Debris called out how those so-called "security officers" didn't help out when Kirk was fighting Lazarus. They just stood there, and long before Kirk asked them not to help. LOL.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
thisithis
Officer

Re: TOS: The Alternative Factor

Post by thisithis »

The Star Trek proves a good idea but with horrible execution but then Star Trek discovery does it again. XD
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

I feel as if it wasn't for the hippy episode, Spock losing his brain episode, and the lawyer in a shower curtain whilst children make suggestive hand motions nearby episode; this would have been a 0. I cannot think of any episode more worthy of the number 4 spot that this. Maybe Turnabout Intruder, but I still feel as if that is a 5 as at least it made more sense (marginally).

Also, just to add to the crap, the entire soundtrack for this episode seems have been ripped from other Star Trek episodes. Not that TOS was that varied in its music, but it hit me like a hammer here.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I love this episode. I think it's pretty good.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Though... I wonder if the "giant space goat" was a reference to DBS. Perhaps Chuck's kids are Dragon Ball fans? LOL.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

This one's a guilty pleasure of mine as well, although I certainly can't make a rational defense for it. :P
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I don't even consider it a "guilty pleasure," as I think it's good, despite a few flaws SF Debris pointed out. It's high-concept sci-fi. I love that. Like something out of a comic book. Reminds me of the Crisis on Infinite Earths.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

SF Debris claiming the Spore Drive is somehow better than this parallel universe stuff in "The Alternative Factor" is just plain wrong, though. Yes, it's not "scientifically accurate," but he's a comic book fan. What does it matter as long as the episode is fun? Which this is.
G-Man
Officer

Post by G-Man »

I think that this is a good contrast to "The Mask of the Phantasm." In that one, the low stakes allowed the characterization and themes to dominate. With "The Alternative Factor" the incredibly high stakes just overshadowed everything else, and made the episode the poorer for it.
"You say I'm a dreamer/we're two of a kind/looking for some perfect world/we know we'll never find" - Thompson Twins
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Am I the only one who loved this episode? Jeez. Give me this over ALL of STD and the new reboots.