Should Disney Adapted The Thrawn Trilogy?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: Should Disney Adapted The Thrawn Trilogy?

Post by Yukaphile »

Well, we gotta cash in on that nostalgia, after all! It's why they brought the old actors back.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Winter wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:15 am
And some subplots and characters could be removed all together the Bothan senator could be removed altogether as could Ackbar's imprisonment and while both help show Thrawn's skill at manipulating via politics neither are really all that important to the Trilogy's main story.
I agree with a lot of what you say in principle (even if it doesn't match my personal taste and blatant fanfoyism of the Thrawn Trilogy), but this specific bit just doesn't work unless TTT is the only part you plan on bringing back. Fey'lya isn't all that important in the trilogy itself, but is a major character in almost every major EU story set in that era up to and including the Vong invasion. It would be like cutting Pellaeon.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

mathewgsmith wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:56 am
Winter wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:15 am
And some subplots and characters could be removed all together the Bothan senator could be removed altogether as could Ackbar's imprisonment and while both help show Thrawn's skill at manipulating via politics neither are really all that important to the Trilogy's main story.
I agree with a lot of what you say in principle (even if it doesn't match my personal taste and blatant fanfoyism of the Thrawn Trilogy), but this specific bit just doesn't work unless TTT is the only part you plan on bringing back. Fey'lya isn't all that important in the trilogy itself, but is a major character in almost every major EU story set in that era up to and including the Vong invasion. It would be like cutting Pellaeon.
My basic thought in regards to adapting the Legends continuity would be to first make One film Trilogy and then adapted the rest as a full fledged TV series along with a collection of miniseries. For me, Star Wars as a film series works better as a event film series. It's not something that comes around very often and when it does it's something special.

Trying to turn it instead the next MCU is, IMO, a mistake as it's really not built to be an annual movies series. Even when Lucas was laying out plans to make a long running series he was still planning to be a Trilogy of Trilogies.

The reason I feel TTT is the best suited is that it's a direct sequel to the Original Trilogy and a spiritual sequel to the Prequel Trilogy, all be it unintentionally. It shares many similar plot elements, both use Coruscant as a major location, both have the villain using a clone army and both are political thrillers, at least Heir and Dark Force are. Also Mara's character arc is a perfect parallel to Anakin's with the latter being a Jedi or becomes a Sith while the former is a Sith (more or less) who becomes a Jedi.

Ultimately my goal would be that TTT would be the LAST Star Wars films released in Theaters for at least 10 years, though I would rather it be 20 years. All of them filmed together like Lord of the Rings and once that was done I would wait at least one or two years to release the Star Wars TV Series and Miniseries.

And while a number of plot points from TTT was used for later plots in Legends some of that could be relocated to happen after the Trilogy but I do see why you wouldn't want to lose them. But for me, I'm looking at this like someone who has been told to make this Trilogy into a Major Motion Picture Trilogy with few to no lose ends and while things like Pellaeon surviving and ordering the rest of the Imperial Remnant to retreat other plot points would likely have to be cut.

But that's just my opinion. :)
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Winter wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:58 am
But for me, I'm looking at this like someone who has been told to make this Trilogy into a Major Motion Picture Trilogy with few to no lose ends
Why movies, though? If you have to pair down most of the plot and all of the nuance, what's the advantage of the format for your adaptation?
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

mathewgsmith wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:17 am
But for me, I'm looking at this like someone who has been told to make this Trilogy into a Major Motion Picture Trilogy with few to no lose ends
Why movies, though? If you have to pair down most of the plot and all of the nuance, what's the advantage of the format for your adaptation?
Because Star Wars is, first and foremost, a movie series First and I feel that TTT is the best suited for a film for the reasons I mentioned before. Again, I'm also working on the idea that this would be the last Star Wars films we would get for at least a decade, maybe even 2 decades. And just on a personal level there are so many moments from TTT that I want to see on the Big Screen like Thrawn's first scene, the scene where Luke escapes the Star Destroyer, the Katana Fleet, the various Space Battles and the final fight with C'baoth. Not to mention I also want to see my favorite scene in the series which is the conversation Luke and Mara have on Han and Leia's kids.

So, yeah, I'm being a silly fan who wants to see my favorite SW story on the big screen. But also thinking from a busyness standpoint of all the SW stories to bring to the Big Screen TTT makes the most sense as it is A) The Story that revitalized SW to begin with. B) It directly and indirectly ties in the OT and PT respectfully and has some of the most recognized characters of SW out side of the Original cast. From a marketing standpoint it really is a Win Win scenario, you get something that is almost certain to be a hit with critics and fans, fans of the Disney Era films still had their Trilogy released while fans of the Legends series get to see one of their most beloved stories on the big screen.

But those are my reasons and I hope that helped to explain my position. :)
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Winter wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:40 am
mathewgsmith wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:17 am
Because Star Wars is, first and foremost, a movie series First and I feel that TTT is the best suited for a film for the reasons I mentioned before. Again, I'm also working on the idea that this would be the last Star Wars films we would get for at least a decade, maybe even 2 decades. And just on a personal level there are so many moments from TTT that I want to see on the Big Screen like Thrawn's first scene, the scene where Luke escapes the Star Destroyer, the Katana Fleet, the various Space Battles and the final fight with C'baoth. Not to mention I also want to see my favorite scene in the series which is the conversation Luke and Mara have on Han and Leia's kids.

So, yeah, I'm being a silly fan who wants to see my favorite SW story on the big screen. But also thinking from a busyness standpoint of all the SW stories to bring to the Big Screen TTT makes the most sense as it is A) The Story that revitalized SW to begin with. B) It directly and indirectly ties in the OT and PT respectfully and has some of the most recognized characters of SW out side of the Original cast. From a marketing standpoint it really is a Win Win scenario, you get something that is almost certain to be a hit with critics and fans, fans of the Disney Era films still had their Trilogy released while fans of the Legends series get to see one of their most beloved stories on the big screen.

But those are my reasons and I hope that helped to explain my position. :)
You wanna see Luuke aka 2.0 also?
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

Slash Gallagher wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:05 am You wanna see Luuke aka 2.0 also?
Yes, he's not that bad, he's there more as a means to get Mara to breakaway from Palpatine's control though I would drop the name and foreshadow him a bit more. I love this Trilogy but that twist did kinda come out of nowhere. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I hate what's replaced the post-Endor Legends universe. So do many other Legends fans given how inferior the work itself is. They really shouldn't have shot themselves in the foot by calling Legends non-canon if they wanted to create a new continuity. This required as much care as possible to not piss off their most dedicated fanbase. It didn't work that way. That would require intelligence these morons don't have. Chuck Wendig is perhaps the worst of the new authors. He just tells you to "go write fanfiction." Seriously, 90% of fanfics aren't that well-crafted, so... it's insulting for him to tell Legends fans furious their favorite universe is being raped something like that. It's condescending. Hell, did anyone else hear about that billboard they raised $5,000 in order to post across from Lucasfilm? To please bring back Legends? Those assholes apparently found it "amusing." They're twisted psychos who love trolling the fans.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Yukaphile wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:22 am I hate what's replaced the post-Endor Legends universe. So do many other Legends fans given how inferior the work itself is. They really shouldn't have shot themselves in the foot by calling Legends non-canon if they wanted to create a new continuity. This required as much care as possible to not piss off their most dedicated fanbase. It didn't work that way. That would require intelligence these morons don't have. Chuck Wendig is perhaps the worst of the new authors. He just tells you to "go write fanfiction." Seriously, 90% of fanfics aren't that well-crafted, so... it's insulting for him to tell Legends fans furious their favorite universe is being raped something like that. It's condescending. Hell, did anyone else hear about that billboard they raised $5,000 in order to post across from Lucasfilm? To please bring back Legends? Those assholes apparently found it "amusing." They're twisted psychos who love trolling the fans.
I did think it would not lead to anything, but when i heard it's just rented and it won't be there for eternity with the land bought under it i felt sad.
Andrew Joshua Talon
Redshirt

Post by Andrew Joshua Talon »

I would have liked to have seen Disney adapt the Thrawn Trilogy. I know it would have required recasting the main characters but it would have been a far better and more coherent story than the Sequel Trilogy as is. They could have been directly involved in helping the new actors get their characters right.

They could have also gone with the original idea of a clone of Obi-Wan being the Dark Jedi, not C'Boath. That lets you cast Ewan MacGregor as Obi-Wan again, and lets him be a villain. It would have been interesting.