Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Re: Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

Post by Darth Wedgius »

AllanO wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:52 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:04 am Dogs do have intelligence of a toddler.

Damn I just watched the About a Girl review, and I didn't catch where he mentioned Measure of a Man.
Hard to say but it does not seem that the Federation gives dogs full rights as citizens, ability to join Star Fleet etc. like humans, Vulcans etc. which would be on point for the question of whether Data can refuse to submit to guy's planned examination, deconstruction...

As I recall the mention of Measure was just one or two sentences near the end of review, something like "Measure of a Man shows that courtroom drama can work in Science Fiction."
IMHO dogs are already sentient, that is they have a subjective experience and have feelings. Of course we'll never know for sure. Dogs certainly have intelligence (again, IMHO), but it's certainly not to the level of a typical human adult's. If a dog in Trek were enhanced somehow to the point of getting 90 on an IQ test, and applied for Federation citizenship...? Would the dog be entitled to keep any tips she earned rescuing children from wells?

But I think intelligence may be easier to test for than sentience. How do you objectively determine that someone has a subjective experience? Telepathic or empathic abilities aside, I suppose,this being a setting where Spock can mind-meld with an alien probe and Troi seemed to sense Lal's emotions.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

There's no rules that say the dog can't play.
..What mirror universe?
AllanO
Officer

Post by AllanO »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:43 am IMHO dogs are already sentient, that is they have a subjective experience and have feelings. Of course we'll never know for sure. Dogs certainly have intelligence (again, IMHO), but it's certainly not to the level of a typical human adult's. If a dog in Trek were enhanced somehow to the point of getting 90 on an IQ test, and applied for Federation citizenship...? Would the dog be entitled to keep any tips she earned rescuing children from wells?

But I think intelligence may be easier to test for than sentience. How do you objectively determine that someone has a subjective experience? Telepathic or empathic abilities aside, I suppose,this being a setting where Spock can mind-meld with an alien probe and Troi seemed to sense Lal's emotions.
I should have used some other analogies to build up my point. Yeast has a similar biochemistry to human cells but obviously has the wrong behaviour to be sentient or intelligent etc. Now they don't have nerve cells, so we can move up to sponges (not sure if any sponges have nerve cells), starfish (star fish not only have nerves but concentration of nerves in their star point, I am pretty sure starfish are smarter than sponges despite what Sponge Bob Square Pants may suggest), insects and so on up the ladder. We can even talk about humans with working brains that are somehow in a dreamless sleep, coma etc.

My point is that you can define a set of similar causes of behaviour (similar biology, neurology etc.) but that will not be sufficient to get the rights, regards etc. at stake in a debate like that of Measure of a Man, because the causes must create the right sort of behaviour (the ability to vote requires both a recognition of your right to vote and a voting behaviour). Also their is an ambiguity between behavior and structure, so yeast does not have neurons (or indeed multiple cells) so you can say that is the not the right cause however it behaves, but as we move up to more complex organism the kind of neurology you get out and the behaviour becomes difficult to disentangle . You can't just say well it lacks this structure or this function so it can't be intelligent or it has this structure so it must be intelligent and so on.

In terms of Measure of a Man I can imagine ways to make the exposition etc. around a comparison of human neurology and Data's positronic brain theoretically interesting (like a documentary about brain science), but we don't know enough about brain science or positronic brains to make such a doc and while it might be interesting making it dramatic is harder to imagine. Whereas exploring the output of Data's brain , the way he behaves or not like a self-aware, intelligent being does seem to me have the potential to be dramatic because we can identify it and bring out these characteristics in a way that uses action and tension between opposing sides etc.

In terms of having subjective experience, my view is if having subjective experience is the best explanation of its behaviour believe that. So again its my application of the idea if I don't know that the computer, alien or whatever is lying to (or otherwise misleading) me believe it.

Note telepathy does not work on all species (or at least Betazoid telepathy does not work on all species). So Troi can't sense Quark's emotions, does that mean he does not have any? ;)
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:25 am There's no rules that say the dog can't play.
Although as has been pointed out if it is a school league, the player might have to be a student in good academic standing at the relevant school. In an adult league the dog might have to be 18 or something a pretty unlikely age for a dog and so. So there may not be a rule that the dog can't play but there may be rules about who can play that will tend to exclude dogs.

Edit: Note the reference to Measure of a Man in About a Girl review occurs around 14:20 in that review. It is just one off-hand sentence as I earlier said, hope that helps...
Yours Truly,
Allan Olley

"It is with philosophy as with religion : men marvel at the absurdity of other people's tenets, while exactly parallel absurdities remain in their own." John Stuart Mill
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Thanks to you two, now I want to see a crossover fanfic where Lassie saves the Enterprise. ;)

I certainly do agree that similar structures as human brains wouldn't necessarily mean sapience, and that dissimilar structures don't mean non-sapience.

Want a headache? Corporations arguably have moods (cautious, bold), absorb other corporations, reproduce with spin-offs... But they don't really reproduce in kind, so that might not apply. They have some legal personhood too, but I think that's just a legal convenience.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Well they are referred to as machines.

Also that was a reference to Air Bud btw.
..What mirror universe?
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:57 pm Thanks to you two, now I want to see a crossover fanfic where Lassie saves the Enterprise. ;)

I certainly do agree that similar structures as human brains wouldn't necessarily mean sapience, and that dissimilar structures don't mean non-sapience.

Want a headache? Corporations arguably have moods (cautious, bold), absorb other corporations, reproduce with spin-offs... But they don't really reproduce in kind, so that might not apply. They have some legal personhood too, but I think that's just a legal convenience.
Those sorts of headaches are the fuel for speculative fiction!
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Here's a big one, and you're definitely going to disagree with me, I feel, but...

I don't agree with Chuck when he says "war either changes you or breaks you." Well, not in the way you might think. It does do those things to decent-hearted people, but it doesn't change your ability to make choices, and it doesn't impair free will. You can still decide what to do even in the most desperate situations. I've seen lots of people use this same argument when trying to defend, elicit sympathy for, and try and raise awareness for people who sink to the most deplorable acts in war, making it sound the same way Chuck did here, that they were "programmed for violence" and became mindless machines of slaughter or rape who "couldn't help themselves," which I seriously disagree with. I think another line Chuck brought up sums it up better, that "war can bring out feelings you sometimes didn't know were buried there." It is still fundamentally you, after all, however. No one can make you do anything. You can choose not to. Those awful people chose to do bad things and go far past the required "kill your enemy" that's necessary in war because that's who they are. Good people feel bad about the horrors of war. Bad people can still feel the same things good people do, but they react differently to it, with greed, lust, hate, or revenge.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:09 am Well they are referred to as machines.

I figured, but when I think of hyper-intelligent canines I think Lassie. I was exposed to Filmation at an early age. :)
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Darth Wedgius wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:44 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:09 am Well they are referred to as machines.

I figured, but when I think of hyper-intelligent canines I think Lassie. I was exposed to Filmation at an early age. :)
I was fond of Rin Tin Tin (K9 cop).
..What mirror universe?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Yukaphile wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:55 am Here's a big one, and you're definitely going to disagree with me, I feel, but...

I don't agree with Chuck when he says "war either changes you or breaks you." Well, not in the way you might think. It does do those things to decent-hearted people, but it doesn't change your ability to make choices, and it doesn't impair free will. You can still decide what to do even in the most desperate situations. I've seen lots of people use this same argument when trying to defend, elicit sympathy for, and try and raise awareness for people who sink to the most deplorable acts in war, making it sound the same way Chuck did here, that they were "programmed for violence" and became mindless machines of slaughter or rape who "couldn't help themselves," which I seriously disagree with. I think another line Chuck brought up sums it up better, that "war can bring out feelings you sometimes didn't know were buried there." It is still fundamentally you, after all, however. No one can make you do anything. You can choose not to. Those awful people chose to do bad things and go far past the required "kill your enemy" that's necessary in war because that's who they are. Good people feel bad about the horrors of war. Bad people can still feel the same things good people do, but they react differently to it, with greed, lust, hate, or revenge.
I've said this to you before Yuka and I'll say it again: it is very easy to judge when you have no first-hand experience of what you are talking about.