STD - The War Without, The War Within

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
FlynnTaggart
Officer

Re: STD - The War Without, The War Within

Post by FlynnTaggart »

clearspira wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:18 pm Why is she called an emperor and not an empress anyhow? Y'know, people like to argue that giving Micheal a guys name was part of no agenda, and then you get nonsense like this that proves otherwise. Oh and BTW, Hoshi called herself an empress so it is something that exists here.
In universe it might just be something with Georgiou herself, she prefers a more gender neutral title. According to one of the writers they attempted to de-gender the Emperor name even though they gendered some of her other titles. Might have been an agenda but its entirely possible it was just done because it better fits the in some ways more "masculine" character to call herself Emperor over Empress while the far different Mirror Hoshi who was very feminine would prefer Empress. Dunno though, just a theory.

https://twitter.com/jnardino/status/955642131086917632
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

This talk about a separated empire... I doubt that they don't share a common disdain for say the federation. They might not rule as a monolithic kingdom, but they're not just going to be sitting ducks when the federation attacks.

Also, yeah, the federation is pacifist. They aren't just going to just run into the Klingon's front yard and start blowing the houses up one by one.
..What mirror universe? ;/
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

STD lumbers graceless towards the end of the first season, and Netflix execs start screaming down the telephone to CBS about the money versus ratings thing in the worldwide markets. Soon the first soft reboot will happen, to be followed by a third soft reboot, and then maybe someone will call Manny Coto again (and this time, he'll probably say no). God, but I can't believe that I have to admit that ENT is no longer the Dumbest Trek show, and that Neelix is no longer even in the top five most annoying Trek characters. Great going CBS.

I'll say this for Discovery, it really made me rewatch a lot of Futurama.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

clearspira wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:18 pm Why is she called an emperor and not an empress anyhow? Y'know, people like to argue that giving Micheal a guys name was part of no agenda, and then you get nonsense like this that proves otherwise. Oh and BTW, Hoshi called herself an empress so it is something that exists here.
Hey, now! We run a very progressive empire of ruthless, treacherous cannibals here! The one thing the secret police fear is a visit from HR...

More seriously, it's could be the surprise thing (though 'Empress' might have made people expect Hoshi, which would have been a nice twist), or just part of modern Trek's tradition of using male titles, like how Starfleet officers are traditionally called "sir" in TNG and beyond, Janeway excepted at her specific direction.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

While waiter and waitress seems to situate in my mind, some terms, like emperor and actor don't. Like, I've never heard of a carptentress or paintress.
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

I'm loving Chuck's increasingly obvious contempt for this show.

I also still can't believe that they SAVED THE GENOCIDAL CANNIBAL and went out of their way to do so! What a bunch of fucking dumbasses!
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

What kind of "increasingly obvious contempt" because rumors I heard is he was being quite fair. And even praised it for not going scientifically absurd like Enterprise and Voyager were. Which hey, are works of art masterpiece compared to STD.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

He is being fair. It's just that it's impossible to be fair to the show without showing obvious contempt.

His rant about the idiocy of the mushroom drive is one of his best ever, IMO. Simultaneously entertainingly angry and refreshingly informative and reasonable.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Without a doubt the reviews are very polar on good and bad Trek movies.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

CrypticMirror wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:15 am STD lumbers graceless towards the end of the first season, and Netflix execs start screaming down the telephone to CBS about the money versus ratings thing in the worldwide markets. Soon the first soft reboot will happen, to be followed by a third soft reboot, and then maybe someone will call Manny Coto again (and this time, he'll probably say no). God, but I can't believe that I have to admit that ENT is no longer the Dumbest Trek show, and that Neelix is no longer even in the top five most annoying Trek characters. Great going CBS.

I'll say this for Discovery, it really made me rewatch a lot of Futurama.
Got a laugh-flash from this rather accurate description. Thank you, I needed that.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox