International Elections and Politics (no US/UK)

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
George
Redshirt

Re: International Elections and Politics (no US/UK)

Post by George »

Remember, not only is South Korea controlled by a secret cabal of women, but it's current (now powerless due to impeachment) president is the daughter of one of their former dictators, and was acting first lady of South Korea after her mother was assassinated, up until her father was assassinated. And Choi Soon-sil is the daughter of a Shamanistic-Evangelical cult leader that the American Embassy in Seoul referred to as the 'Korean Rasputin', who was a Buddhist monk before converting to Catholicism before founding his cult. Which brings me back to the president's mother, because part of how the cult gained influence over the current president is that the leader claimed that her mother had appeared to him in a vision shortly after her assassination.

And to add to the Bond parallels, said former dictator was assassinated by the director of the KCIA with a Walther PPK.

The Korean Peninsula: At this point, their politicians are probably just trying to mess with everyone
"Gold is for the mistress -- silver for the maid --
Copper for the craftsman cunning at his trade."

"Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
"But Iron -- Cold Iron -- is master of them all."
Rasp
Officer

Post by Rasp »

George wrote:Remember, not only is South Korea controlled by a secret cabal of women, but it's current (now powerless due to impeachment) president is the daughter of one of their former dictators, and was acting first lady of South Korea after her mother was assassinated, up until her father was assassinated. And Choi Soon-sil is the daughter of a Shamanistic-Evangelical cult leader that the American Embassy in Seoul referred to as the 'Korean Rasputin', who was a Buddhist monk before converting to Catholicism before founding his cult. Which brings me back to the president's mother, because part of how the cult gained influence over the current president is that the leader claimed that her mother had appeared to him in a vision shortly after her assassination.

And to add to the Bond parallels, said former dictator was assassinated by the director of the KCIA with a Walther PPK.

The Korean Peninsula: At this point, their politicians are probably just trying to mess with everyone
I did read about that yeah - he went too far and one of his own guys staged a coup because... well he was a fucking dictator what else are you supposed to do? must have missed the cultist involvement but that was me not looking into Choi Soon-sil. The point is the young opposition is fired up and ready to bring back democracy and we should be proud of that.
I am the one who requested Chuck review Kannazuki No Miko. (under an old alias)

I count it among the most despicable things I have ever done to another human being and I'm sorry.

Things I have requested that are not evil:
* Anna's Quest
* Contradiction
* TECHNOBABYLON
Fixer
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Fixer »

Rasp wrote:I did read about that yeah - he went too far and one of his own guys staged a coup because... well he was a fucking dictator what else are you supposed to do? must have missed the cultist involvement but that was me not looking into Choi Soon-sil. The point is the young opposition is fired up and ready to bring back democracy and we should be proud of that.
Indeed, and it looks like they're making progress.

The scandal and corruption goes beyond just the cult, and to the corporations who bribed them for favours. The Samsung heir has now been arrested on corruption charges. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-38997370

Other major corporations are in the firing line as well and it appears that this sort of high level corruption has been going on for decades. Apparently Hyundai is a power unto its own withing South Korea's borders.
Thread ends here. Cut along dotted line.
------8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rasp
Officer

Post by Rasp »

Fixer wrote:
Rasp wrote:I did read about that yeah - he went too far and one of his own guys staged a coup because... well he was a fucking dictator what else are you supposed to do? must have missed the cultist involvement but that was me not looking into Choi Soon-sil. The point is the young opposition is fired up and ready to bring back democracy and we should be proud of that.

The scandal and corruption goes beyond just the cult, and to the corporations who bribed them for favours. The Samsung heir has now been arrested on corruption charges. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-38997370

Other major corporations are in the firing line as well and it appears that this sort of high level corruption has been going on for decades. Apparently Hyundai is a power unto its own withing South Korea's borders.
it's so hard to find a country these days which isn't just an oligrachy or a pathocracy in disguise.... maybe iceland? Iceland seems nice - I mean most speak enough English that I could probably get away with never learning icelandic - main reason being because NOBODY and I mean nobody is going to be dubbing game of thrones into icelandic. yeah native English speakers like me forget this a lot but getting quality content translated into minor languages is usually going to be either - subtitles or nothing most of the time.

I count it among the most despicable things I have ever done to another human being and I'm sorry.

* Anna's Quest
* Contradiction
* TECHNOBABYLON
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Rasp wrote:
Fixer wrote:

it's so hard to find a country these days which isn't just an oligrachy or a pathocracy in disguise.... maybe iceland? Iceland seems nice - I mean most speak enough English that I could probably get away with never learning icelandic - main reason being because NOBODY and I mean nobody is going to be dubbing game of thrones into icelandic. yeah native English speakers like me forget this a lot but getting quality content translated into minor languages is usually going to be either - subtitles or nothing most of the time.
These days? :lol:
Rasp
Officer

Post by Rasp »

Agent Vinod wrote: These days? :lol:
Excellent point

* Anna's Quest
* Contradiction
* TECHNOBABYLON
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

Trudeau cancelling electoral reform in Canada will be a long-term benefit for the Tories and a lifeline to the Bloc Québecois.
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
Rasp
Officer

Post by Rasp »

PerrySimm wrote:Trudeau cancelling electoral reform in Canada will be a long-term benefit for the Tories and a lifeline to the Bloc Québecois.

I heard about that one my contacts were PISSED. they were lukewarm on Trudeau in the first place now they just seem to want his head. If my impression is right they're worried he's a bit too much of a neoliberal and this just lit a fire out under them.

* Anna's Quest
* Contradiction
* TECHNOBABYLON
TheNewTeddy
Officer

Post by TheNewTeddy »

PerrySimm wrote:Trudeau cancelling electoral reform in Canada will be a long-term benefit for the Tories and a lifeline to the Bloc Québecois.
I'm so mad at him for this; it's one of the key reasons I voted for him. Then again, I voted for Harper to get me some Senate Reform, and he didn't do that either.

What really annoys me is Trudeau basically saying that PR would mean Kellie Leitch would be leading a party with 17 MPs in the Commons.
Uh, buddy, there's a good chance she'll be leading a party with 170 thanks to you.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

TheNewTeddy wrote:Uh, buddy, there's a good chance she'll be leading a party with 170 thanks to you.
Bah, the electoral system (Semi-Proportional (100 votes/riding), Ranked Ballots) of the Conservative Leadership convention will stop the fringe candidates.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu