My Journey Through Babylon 5

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: My Journey Through Babylon 5

Post by Yukaphile »

So Anna wasn't a traitor. Whew. No, she was just... warped by serving as the fuel source for their vessels, eurgh. Poor Sheridan. Poor Anna. And wow, Sheridan just nuked the Shadows' central base of operations. And called it, totally fucking called it! Lyta had mentioned this, and it's confirmed - Kosh IS inside of Sheridan. Guess he's just really scared to die, huh? ;)

But wow... :shock: What the hell happened to Garibaldi? It... it looks as if the Shadows caught him! Anyway, the Vorlon vs. Shadow philosophy reminds me of the Jedi vs. Sith, to a degree.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

My first real moment of disappointment with B5. Delenn says Sheridan didn't "choose his actions, his actions chose him." I'd have thought someone as spiritually enlightened as Delenn wouldn't say something so stupid. Hell, it reminds me of what the old seer told Londo Mollari, that there's always a choice.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

While I'm waiting around for "The Macra Terror" to be released for Classic Who on Britbox, I've gone back to B5! Man, this is excellent.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Anyone wanna know my thoughts so far? Tbh, while I haven't stopped disliking the character, I felt Sheridan threatening to turn Lyta over to the Psi Corps was... really stretching it. I mean, they know at this point the Psi Corps are into forced birth and eugenics, so she could quite literally be raped pregnant and forced to carry their child. Could just kick her off the station. I think Sheridan was channeling his inner Janeway there...
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Over B5 is huge part on why I am not die-hard trekkie or even as much fan as I used to be and why DS9 is my favorite ST series. B5 changed way I saw story telling in sci-fi with it having plot points that carried over and effected story line instead of having retcon button pressed after every episode with having certain events rarely carry over. Of course big part of this is that JMS seemed to have if not everything then most planned.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Yeah, B5 is pretty cool. I can't wait to introduce my friend to it. He had literally never seen Trek until he met me. Then I got him into TOS, TNG, and he's almost done with DS9. Also the movies in chronological order.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

See, what rubs me the wrong way is... Sheridan specifically threatens Lyta with that because "you defied me." Again, seems just like Janeway at her worst. To turn a woman, who will bear the brunt of victimhood here, over to an organization that is into eugenics and breeding programs. How does he think that will end? Of course, the episode where it was revealed they breed women against their will, well... presented the woman as being upset her baby was taken away, when... why would she be? I do hate that stereotype that's being shoved down our throats. Women are much more maternal and nurturing, that they wouldn't feel hatred for a baby conceived against their will. I don't think most women feel that way, so... those moments tend to be really jarring for me. Thank God they are far and few in between.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

While I don't hate Sheridan as character what he did to Lyta is unforgivable. After all she had went trough and role she played in 2nd Shadow War (Vorlons did make her beyond P12) he threatened her just for daring to go against him without even thinking how she might feel or even ask her. I don't know what JMS was thinking when he wrote that but maybe he should had though that trough.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

It also contradicts his line about fighting the enemy to "not become the enemy." I mean, it seems more like rigid adherence to military command than the compassion he'd shown previously. Because again, he as a military officer would know damn well that turning her over to the Psi Corps means not just being studied (as he declared), but probably turned into breeding stock. What woman deserves that? Not even the worst human being alive.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

If anyone wants to know my thoughts, just ask. I've finished everything to Season 4. Even the chronologically set movies, like "Thirdspace."