DIS: “Will You Take My Hand?”

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Riedquat
Captain

Re: DIS: “Will You Take My Hand?”

Post by Riedquat »

Zoinksberg wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:04 pm
Kilroy wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:36 pm That aside, is the bomb still on the Klingon homeworld years later?
Someone probably found it and hid it in a place where nobody would ever find it and it couldn't harm anybody in the future: Praxis.
Love it!
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Makeshift Python wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:32 pm This is me when someone says it’s devoid of joy:

I note your noticeable lack of examples regarding this joy.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

Ok.

Pretty much anything with Tilly, especially if it annoys you specifically. That’s my joy.

:P

I got the blu-ray for Christmas so I’m gonna be rewatching it soon to get a refresher, as most of the show except standout episodes like “Lethe” and “Magic” have blurred together.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Makeshift Python wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:13 pm Ok.

Pretty much anything with Tilly, especially if it annoys you specifically. That’s my joy.
Insults automatically hurt your own argument - especially when those insults are one sided. Makes everyone else far less likely to take you seriously.
ScriedRaven
Redshirt

Post by ScriedRaven »

Discovery's characters all sound like they're from a fanfic, with maybe the exception of Lorca and Saru.

Micheal, from her description, reads "Spock's adopted sister who helped shape him into becoming Spock" (see recent statements about season 2 for that) which sounds exactly like a Mary Sue. I don't think she is, but that's how I'd expect someone to write a Mary Sue into Spock's life.

Stamets is "a botanist who has managed to create an instantaneous FTL drive", which sounds like he was created by a kid who loved plants and Star Trek. I also feel like there was then a second fanfic created about him, shipping him with the ships doctor, but that's just the prevalence of slashfic for Trek.

Ash is an edgy teenagers OC who "is really a Klingon, but had intense surgery to make him look and act human".

Tilly is a self insert. Not a bad one mind you, but she doesn't fit in with the rest of the casts dark tones. So in other words, I like Tilly, but she feels like she's in the wrong show.

Lorca is either from a good fanfic, or a spin-off novel, designed to give depth to the mirror universe. He's a rebel fighting to create a better world. The author, in order to show that he was a generally good person, but not up to Trek's standards, brought him into the main universe where he was only somewhat meaner than most of the people he met.

Saru is from the same work as Lorca, and probably a fanfic. His species was created to make the mirror universe to be darker by having them eat other sentient races. He was probably originally meant to side with Lorca in a futile attempt to free his people from the state they're stuck in.
Makeshift Python
Captain

clearspira wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:43 pm
Makeshift Python wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:13 pm Ok.

Insults automatically hurt your own argument - especially when those insults are one sided.
...I was kidding. Hence the tongue smiley, which I now note that you omitted in your quotation of me.
Makes everyone else far less likely to take you seriously.
That's okay, I don't take myself seriously anyway. If I did, it would be more seriously than I take Midnight's Edge scoops. Seriously.
kaingerc
Redshirt

Post by kaingerc »

When I first saw Clint Howard I was like "Oh, so the showrunners have finally given up and this is officially a farce now, isn't it?!".
Makeshift Python
Captain

My first thought was "I guess they're dropping that weird rule about not wanting to bring back previously used Trek actors".
thisithis
Officer

Post by thisithis »

There's two way this show can go.

One: like StarGate Universe with turned out to be a franchise killer.

or

Two: Like the Second season OF Star Trek: The Next Generation witch almost killed the Star Trek franchise. Even William Shatner did a documentary on how the Second season TNG almost killed the franchise called Chaos on the Bridge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvNdCjc-3Ps
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

As an aside, I think SG: U gets partial credit for killing off Stargate (or at least being Stargate's Nemesis, since Stargate: Origins came out long afterward, to mixed reception).

FWIW, what I understand is that SG: U was done instead of giving additional seasons to Stargate: Atlantis, but Atlantis was planned to get a direct-to-DVD movie, Stargate: Extinction, to wrap it up. Then the bottom dropped out of the direct-to-DVD market and MGM, which had money troubles, shelved the movie.