DIS: “Will You Take My Hand?”

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: DIS: “Will You Take My Hand?”

Post by clearspira »

Slash Gallagher wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:44 pm
clearspira wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:42 pm
Slash Gallagher wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:36 am
clearspira wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:31 am
Mikejjj wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:41 am you know what Disco can go die in a fire. 12 Minutes of teasing Spock, some character goes I was expecting to see him. I Turned it off after this line "Sometimes its wise to keep our expectations low commander, that way we're never disappointed". that is word for word the line in this show it is super easy to see that as line spoken to me the audience. at that point, you don't deserve my time. If you are going to tell me to expect less from you. Why am I wasting my time with you, when I could be doing ANYTHING ELSE. why would you use those exact words here?
Very true, mate. Let us pray that STD makes it no further than than season 2.
You don't have to watch it, i am sure it will be easy to ignore.
Ignore that my favourite franchise is rotting. Yeah, that'll work.
Galaxy is coming. What do you mean rotting?
There has not been a single decent piece of Trek since midway through season 4 of ENT nearly twenty years ago. Why should I have any hope for this?
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

clearspira wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:12 pm
Mikejjj wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:41 am you know what Disco can go die in a fire. 12 Minutes of teasing Spock, some character goes I was expecting to see him. I Turned it off after this line "Sometimes its wise to keep our expectations low commander, that way we're never disappointed". that is word for word the line in this show it is super easy to see that as line spoken to me the audience. at that point, you don't deserve my time. If you are going to tell me to expect less from you. Why am I wasting my time with you, when I could be doing ANYTHING ELSE. why would you use those exact words here?
There has not been a single decent piece of Trek since midway through season 4 of ENT nearly twenty years ago. Why should I have any hope for this?
Because that's how we're gonna win. Not fighting what we hate, but saving what we love.
..What mirror universe?
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

May 2005 is not that close to 20.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Slash Gallagher wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:34 pm
Pretty soon you will be able to round up though.
..What mirror universe?
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

I'm hearing some decent things about the start of season 2. Maybe they can turn it around. I'll be interested to see. These reviews are all I need of season 1, I'm not watching. But maybe season 2 will be worth checking out.
Enterprising
Officer

Post by Enterprising »

Sir Will wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:16 am I'm hearing some decent things about the start of season 2. Maybe they can turn it around. I'll be interested to see. These reviews are all I need of season 1, I'm not watching. But maybe season 2 will be worth checking out.
Not based off the Episode 1 I watched. I won't say much other than it's doubling-down, trying (and failing) at Orville like humour beats, and Klutzman rips off one of his own action scenes from Into Blandness.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:32 am
Slash Gallagher wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:34 pm
Pretty soon you will be able to round up though.
It takes more than 4 years of high school...

It's a long time.
pilight
Officer

Post by pilight »

If I may take a moment to talk about the actual episode...

The Federation offers Georgiou her freedom in exchange for doing this mission, and then for abandoning it. My question is: What legal right did the Federation have to hold her in the first place? She hadn't broken any Federation laws. As Emperor, the acts she committed in the Terran Empire weren't crimes. Even if they were crimes against the Empire, that's not under Federation jurisdiction and the Empire made no extradition request. It's one thing to restrict her movement on the ship, that's SOP for non-service members (especially foreign ones), it's something else to declare her a prisoner without due process.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

What happened in Season 2 Episode 1?
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Zoinksberg
Officer

Post by Zoinksberg »

During times of war Due Process is more of a "nice thought". Lincoln had a lot of people jailed for being Confederate sympathizers. When Chief Justice of the Supreme Court Roger Taney ruled that Lincoln could not suspend habeas corpus, Lincoln (allegedly) issued an arrest warrant for him, though it was never served. WWII, FDR allowed thousands of civilians to be detained because they looked like the enemy. And these are the actions of people we consider "the good guys".

A quick answer is that the Federation could pretty much do whatever they wanted. A more legally sound answer would be that this person is attempting to impersonate a Starfleet officer, which would be extremely illegal even in times of peace. She would have no way to defend this as she would continue claim to be Philippa Georgiou, who is deceased. As they already have someone else on the ship who has admitted to being a Klingon infiltrator (and a Klingon prisoner who corroborated that claim) it's not a difficult charge to make. Attempting the "I'm from an alternate universe" defense would not have gone over very well, I am thinking.

Claiming that crimes against humanity aren't crimes if you are the leader of a country does not work. But that never really came up and I don't think they were directly factoring that in to holding her.