DIS: “Will You Take My Hand?”

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Zoinksberg
Officer

Re: DIS: “Will You Take My Hand?”

Post by Zoinksberg »

pilight wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:52 pm
Sir Will wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:57 pm There are people seriously defending the Emperor? Or at least saying she should be let go to go about her business? Seriously?
Not defending her as a good person, just saying the Federation's legal grounds for incarcerating her are shaky at best.

And, of course, in the end she was let go to go about her business...
How do you know the Federation's legal grounds? The Federation makes its own laws and decides what it can and cannot do within its own boarders.
Actarus
Officer

Post by Actarus »

Zoinksberg wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:18 pm
Sir Will wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:57 pm There are people seriously defending the Emperor? Or at least saying she should be let go to go about her business? Seriously?
Not defending her as a good person, just saying the Federation's legal grounds for incarcerating her are shaky at best.

How do you know the Federation's legal grounds? The Federation makes its own laws and decides what it can and cannot do within its own boarders.
Emperor Philippa Georgiou is not from the Federation. She did nothing bad to the Federation or any of its citizens. Moreover, she is from an alternate universe which Starfleet wants to hide the existence. They can't do anything to her through legal means without revealing who she is and where she is coming from. Captain Philippa Georgiou is a Federation citizen though, and the Emperor has been freed as Captain Philippa Georgiou. Meaning that if the Emperor does anything bad, they would have legal ground to arrest her. At least that's what I understood of the situation. I know, I know, it's still strange, but that's one way I explain this whole situation.
pilight
Officer

Post by pilight »

Actarus wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:59 pm

Emperor Philippa Georgiou is not from the Federation. She did nothing bad to the Federation or any of its citizens. Moreover, she is from an alternate universe which Starfleet wants to hide the existence. They can't do anything to her through legal means without revealing who she is and where she is coming from. Captain Philippa Georgiou is a Federation citizen though, and the Emperor has been freed as Captain Philippa Georgiou. Meaning that if the Emperor does anything bad, they would have legal ground to arrest her. At least that's what I understood of the situation. I know, I know, it's still strange, but that's one way I explain this whole situation.
They released her on the Klingon home world. It's doubtful the Klingon Empire and the Federation have an extradition treaty, so unless she gets back to Federation territory she won't have to worry about being arrested.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Plus given her lack of honor I doubt she'll make it 6 or 7 months on the Klingon homeworld.
..What mirror universe?
Actarus
Officer

Post by Actarus »

pilight wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:39 am
Actarus wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:59 pm

They released her on the Klingon home world. It's doubtful the Klingon Empire and the Federation have an extradition treaty, so unless she gets back to Federation territory she won't have to worry about being arrested.
Yes, but that was not their first intention to release her on Qo'nos, as far as I remember. Besides, if she ever returns to the Federation, she is still Philippa Georgiou, once a respected Starfleet officer. As long as she respects the law, she doesn't have to worry about being arrested.
Actarus
Officer

Post by Actarus »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:08 am Plus given her lack of honor I doubt she'll make it 6 or 7 months on the Klingon homeworld.
Klingon honor is overrated. All form and no substance. They like to boast about it, they fight when they feel their "honour" is being attacked, but that's about it. Most Klingons are not Worf or Martok.

The Klingons respect strength and skill in combat above all. The Emperor has plenty of both.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

petaq
..What mirror universe?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Classy, insulting the dude in Klingon. I'd also call him a schutta too. :P
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Mindworm
Officer

Post by Mindworm »

abki wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:16 pm
pilight wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:53 pm If I may take a moment to talk about the actual episode...

The Federation offers Georgiou her freedom in exchange for doing this mission, and then for abandoning it. My question is: What legal right did the Federation have to hold her in the first place? She hadn't broken any Federation laws. As Emperor, the acts she committed in the Terran Empire weren't crimes. Even if they were crimes against the Empire, that's not under Federation jurisdiction and the Empire made no extradition request. It's one thing to restrict her movement on the ship, that's SOP for non-service members (especially foreign ones), it's something else to declare her a prisoner without due process.
Well, for building a multiverse-destroying kill-all-life-everywhere-o'matic 9000; maybe they could get her for "behaviour likely to cause a breach of the peace" ;)
"Loitering with intent" or even "Loitering within tent"!
Soulless minion of orthodoxy.
Mindworm
Officer

Post by Mindworm »

Actarus wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:34 am Yes, but that was not their first intention to release her on Qo'nos, as far as I remember. Besides, if she ever returns to the Federation, she is still Philippa Georgiou, once a respected Starfleet officer. As long as she respects the law, she doesn't have to worry about being arrested.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Federation has something like the Nuremberg laws (not the Nazi ones, the crimes against humanity ones) and universal jurisdiction for major crimes on its books.

If so she can be put down for a long time, provided that Discovery was actually recording anything during its excursion in the Mirror Universe.
Soulless minion of orthodoxy.