DIS: “Will You Take My Hand?”

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Re: DIS: “Will You Take My Hand?”

Post by Makeshift Python »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:53 pm Star Trek First Contact was half-decent?
It hasn’t aged well among fandom.
Artabax
Officer

Post by Artabax »

abki wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:16 pm
pilight wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:53 pm If I may take a moment to talk about the actual episode...

The Federation offers Georgiou her freedom in exchange for doing this mission, and then for abandoning it. My question is: What legal right did the Federation have to hold her in the first place? She hadn't broken any Federation laws. As Emperor, the acts she committed in the Terran Empire weren't crimes. Even if they were crimes against the Empire, that's not under Federation jurisdiction and the Empire made no extradition request. It's one thing to restrict her movement on the ship, that's SOP for non-service members (especially foreign ones), it's something else to declare her a prisoner without due process.
Well, for building a multiverse-destroying kill-all-life-everywhere-o'matic 9000; maybe they could get her for "behaviour likely to cause a breach of the peace" ;)
We, the Audience know that Empress has committed torture, genocide, slavery and cannibalism of sapients. IF and only if Fed has a Geneva Convention, then Empress can be charged with committing attrocities. Bad news, the only witnesses are Michael, a convicted mutineer and Ash a klingon spy, they aint credible witnesses.

Likewise, if Empress claimed to be Georgiu from our Universe, who could disprove her? There is this whole mirror Universe OR a convicted mutineer is lying, what is more believable?
Self sealing stem bolts don't just seal themselves, you know.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Makeshift Python wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:06 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:53 pm Star Trek First Contact was half-decent?
Well that's actually something I haven't gotten drift of.
..What mirror universe?
abki
Redshirt

Post by abki »

Artabax wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:26 am
abki wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:16 pm
pilight wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:53 pm If I may take a moment to talk about the actual episode...

The Federation offers Georgiou her freedom in exchange for doing this mission, and then for abandoning it. My question is: What legal right did the Federation have to hold her in the first place? She hadn't broken any Federation laws. As Emperor, the acts she committed in the Terran Empire weren't crimes. Even if they were crimes against the Empire, that's not under Federation jurisdiction and the Empire made no extradition request. It's one thing to restrict her movement on the ship, that's SOP for non-service members (especially foreign ones), it's something else to declare her a prisoner without due process.
Well, for building a multiverse-destroying kill-all-life-everywhere-o'matic 9000; maybe they could get her for "behaviour likely to cause a breach of the peace" ;)
We, the Audience know that Empress has committed torture, genocide, slavery and cannibalism of sapients. IF and only if Fed has a Geneva Convention, then Empress can be charged with committing attrocities. Bad news, the only witnesses are Michael, a convicted mutineer and Ash a klingon spy, they aint credible witnesses.

Likewise, if Empress claimed to be Georgiu from our Universe, who could disprove her? There is this whole mirror Universe OR a convicted mutineer is lying, what is more believable?
Well, if we're talking about all of the evidence at hand then you also have Stamets' testimony about the multiverse destroyer along with the sensor logs that the Discovery made when they were determining the course of action to take to destroy the thing. It could also be proven that she is not Georgiu using the same Quantum signature magic that proved Georgue's pin wasn't from the Mirror Universe. You also have the testimony of whoever was manning the teleporter in the pilot that Georgiu had no life-signs (I'm assuming that's why they didn't teleport her back, otherwise the teleporter operator is really an a-hole :lol: ). In addition to that there's the data that Michael and Ash retrieved (I'd assume that they'd have transmitted general information in addition to the security files on the Defiant, although you could argue they didn't for some reason). This information is all available to the Federation higher ups calling the shots.

If you're talking about the general public and the Federation's decision to keep the Mirror Universe classified, then the fact that the Fed was willing to annihilate Qo'nos makes me feel they've probably given up on their principles. It would probably be easy for them to arrest Georgui on some minor charge and arrange a "transport accident" like what happened to Michael, but without the last second rescue.

As for the Empress announcing to the general public that she was Georgiu back from the dead, they could probably claim she's another Klingon imposter or an evil clone ala Nemisis or something. Once again, I'm operating on the assumptions that the Fed doesn't care about it's principles or telling the truth to its citizens based on the events shown during the series.
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

Bull. Since when? Ok, fine, what has then?
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

Admiral X wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:27 pm Some answers to your questions.
...no.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

lmao that gave me a good chuckle, posting that. I actually really liked Attack of the Clones, but still heeded to his words. I was probably a little more confused about roasting First Contact, and I don't necessarily remember any groundbreaking quotable points made about it like everybody can do with the other reviews of his (his buzzard checking of Anakin's lady skills was some funny shit).
..What mirror universe?
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Because...?
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Makeshift Python = bad guy ;(
..What mirror universe?