DIS: “Will You Take My Hand?”

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
TrueMetis
Officer

Re: DIS: “Will You Take My Hand?”

Post by TrueMetis »

The issue with "SJW" (whatever the fuck that means this week) works isn't "pushing an agenda" it's with shitty writing. Same issue with all other works. But when a shitty movie/tv show starring a white guy comes out people go "well that was shit" and move on, when a "SJW" movie/tv show is shit there's all this hand wringing about how "SJW's" are ruining movies. Most movies suck, most tv series never see the light of day. And so people do the logical thing and don't give those shitty works any thought. Gotti, the Robocop remake, and the newest Predator movie are all trash, but nobodies spending their excess time obsessing over them. The most they will do is cause a few people to rethink their opinion on just how bad the AVP films and Robocop sequels were.
pilight
Officer

Post by pilight »

Discovery's pushing Sonequa Martin-Green as the lead was more "We've got one of the stars from the #1 show on cable" than "We're so progressive". It's not coincidental that The Walking Dead's most popular seasons were the ones where she was part of the main cast or that its ratings have tanked badly since she left.
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

TrueMetis wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:51 pm The issue with "SJW" (whatever the fuck that means this week) works isn't "pushing an agenda" it's with shitty writing. Same issue with all other works. But when a shitty movie/tv show starring a white guy comes out people go "well that was shit" and move on, when a "SJW" movie/tv show is shit there's all this hand wringing about how "SJW's" are ruining movies. Most movies suck, most tv series never see the light of day. And so people do the logical thing and don't give those shitty works any thought. Gotti, the Robocop remake, and the newest Predator movie are all trash, but nobodies spending their excess time obsessing over them. The most they will do is cause a few people to rethink their opinion on just how bad the AVP films and Robocop sequels were.
Indeed.
pilight wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:12 am Discovery's pushing Sonequa Martin-Green as the lead was more "We've got one of the stars from the #1 show on cable" than "We're so progressive". It's not coincidental that The Walking Dead's most popular seasons were the ones where she was part of the main cast or that its ratings have tanked badly since she left.
I assume she was better on that show than this one? Or her character was better.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

Be nice if some people could keep their bigotry out of here. At least keep that contained to the "News" forum. :roll:
TrueMetis wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:51 pm Gotti, the Robocop remake, and the newest Predator movie are all trash, but nobodies spending their excess time obsessing over them.
The number of review videos I've seen trashing those movies disagrees with this assertion.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:53 pm Star Trek First Contact was half-decent?
It was generally considered the only good TNG movie, and continuing the "evens are good, odd are bad" pattern. And it was a really good ride in the theater.

It hasn't particularly aged well. It's not something you can revisit that much, unlike say, WoK. Also because that was the start of the Borg turning into terrible enemies on Voyager and losing all their cred... and Enterprise then ran with what that movie and made things worse, but yes, it was the half decent TNG movie.
Makeshift Python wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:05 pm Maybe you guys should ask Robby why he thinks FIRST CONTACT is only "half-way decent". :P
Because basically its a zombie horror film without a lot to actually say..

The stuff with Picard treating the Borg like his white whale is good, and the parts with the crew having fun with Zephram work, but most of the movie is just... dodging and killing zombies.
Last edited by RobbyB1982 on Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Slash Gallagher wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:49 pm
BunBun299 wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:46 pm Something that has been fascinating me of late. There has been a big push of SJW politics in the entertainment industry of late. STD is but one example, bragging about its black female lead and gay couple. Every single example of SJW entertainment that I am aware of has been bad.

I don't care for leftist politics. But it's presence doesn't necessarily ruin the work for me. I certainly didn't care for Rom quoting the Communist Manifesto, but I still love DS9, and even like that particular episode in spite of that.

Modern SJW shows/movies/comics/etc all seem to fail spectacularly. It's like the people pushing these agendas are just completely devoid of story telling talent. You'd think one of them would accidentally stumble upon a good story idea. If anyone is aware of an actual good SJW story out there, please point it out. I don't care for the message, but I might like to check it out just for the novelty.

As for this particular episode, I think Chuck is right about the series being too dependent on Michael Burnham. I was willing to give the character a chance going in, in spite my misgivings about her being shoe horned into Spock's family (which seems like a parody of how to write a Mary Sue), but then she destroys any good will I was willing to extend her with her mutiny. And nothing in any subsequent episodes convinced me she has changed. Granted, I'm only seeing these reviews and other internet personalities who comment on it. Chuck is fairer to it than most. But I just don't see anything that redeems Michael. With every episode revolving around her, I just don't think I can like this show.
The Newsroom was basically old school SJW and lived for 3 seasons.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1870479/?ref_=nv_sr_1
Let me ask you a question.

What makes America the best?
..What mirror universe?
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

The Newroom lived entirely on the strength of Aaron Sorkin's writing. But even with him at the helm, the first season kind of sucked. But the second season was fantastic. And then the third season was just sort of a limited run cleanup on that.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

I’m getting the impression many people on this thread don’t seem to understand that Hollywood giving more significant roles to people of color, LGBTQ, etc is not because of some liberal, SJW, or whatever political agenda/conspiracy. Rather, it’s because Hollywood finally realized that those groups actually spend money, and when they see themselves represented on media instead of just another straight white male, they probably are more interested. FAST AND FURIOUS didn’t get so big because it had nifty car chases but because of its international cast that had a more worldwide appeal.

I have no issue with the casting in DIS. Also, it’s about fucking time that Trek features a gay character in its main cast. For as progressive as Trek tried to assert itself in the past, the absence of gay characters in Starfleet during the Berman era was pretty pathetic.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:46 am
Slash Gallagher wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:49 pm
BunBun299 wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:46 pm Something that has been fascinating me of late. There has been a big push of SJW politics in the entertainment industry of late. STD is but one example, bragging about its black female lead and gay couple. Every single example of SJW entertainment that I am aware of has been bad.

I don't care for leftist politics. But it's presence doesn't necessarily ruin the work for me. I certainly didn't care for Rom quoting the Communist Manifesto, but I still love DS9, and even like that particular episode in spite of that.

Modern SJW shows/movies/comics/etc all seem to fail spectacularly. It's like the people pushing these agendas are just completely devoid of story telling talent. You'd think one of them would accidentally stumble upon a good story idea. If anyone is aware of an actual good SJW story out there, please point it out. I don't care for the message, but I might like to check it out just for the novelty.

As for this particular episode, I think Chuck is right about the series being too dependent on Michael Burnham. I was willing to give the character a chance going in, in spite my misgivings about her being shoe horned into Spock's family (which seems like a parody of how to write a Mary Sue), but then she destroys any good will I was willing to extend her with her mutiny. And nothing in any subsequent episodes convinced me she has changed. Granted, I'm only seeing these reviews and other internet personalities who comment on it. Chuck is fairer to it than most. But I just don't see anything that redeems Michael. With every episode revolving around her, I just don't think I can like this show.
The Newsroom was basically old school SJW and lived for 3 seasons.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1870479/?ref_=nv_sr_1
Let me ask you a question.

What makes America the best?
The fact that bullshit child mortality rate statistc gets mocked and a liberal media shat on the pilot of the Newsroom?
RobbyB1982 wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:49 am The Newroom lived entirely on the strength of Aaron Sorkin's writing. But even with him at the helm, the first season kind of sucked. But the second season was fantastic. And then the third season was just sort of a limited run cleanup on that.
Badass hyperpartisan time travelers spinning shit to make themselves look good..
Makeshift Python wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:08 am I’m getting the impression many people on this thread don’t seem to understand that Hollywood giving more significant roles to people of color, LGBTQ, etc is not because of some liberal, SJW, or whatever political agenda/conspiracy. Rather, it’s because Hollywood finally realized that those groups actually spend money, and when they see themselves represented on media instead of just another straight white male, they probably are more interested. FAST AND FURIOUS didn’t get so big because it had nifty car chases but because of its international cast that had a more worldwide appeal.

I have no issue with the casting in DIS. Also, it’s about fucking time that Trek features a gay character in its main cast. For as progressive as Trek tried to assert itself in the past, the absence of gay characters in Starfleet during the Berman era was pretty pathetic.
These motherfucklers think the same, therefore it's rare to see out conservatives / right wingers / libertarians, helped by the entertainment press that also thinks the fucking same...

Okay why was there not a direct to dvd action market for colorod people and LGBT people specifically taht was pointed at by the Suits preceding it? Where was this huge grassrots army that wants to see people of the same color, sexual identity so bad?
Actually it was a creative decision to do all this spy shit i like less than the car scenwe adventures. It was destined to become a DTV franchise before that.

Why is it pathetic exactly? What principle was betrayed?
TrueMetis
Officer

Post by TrueMetis »

Admiral X wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:53 am Be nice if some people could keep their bigotry out of here. At least keep that contained to the "News" forum. :roll:
TrueMetis wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:51 pm Gotti, the Robocop remake, and the newest Predator movie are all trash, but nobodies spending their excess time obsessing over them.
The number of review videos I've seen trashing those movies disagrees with this assertion.
Was it multiple reviews by the same person? Cause if all you've got is "reviewers call bad movie bad" that's not so much obsession as it is a reviewer doing their job. Like if you want to show me obsessive show me something similar to the idiocy of the Ghostbusters remake, which had the same people make multiple videos about it before it even came out. Angryjoe alone made 5 videos about it 2 about just the trailers.