DIS: “Will You Take My Hand?”

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Admiral X
Captain

Re: DIS: “Will You Take My Hand?”

Post by Admiral X »

Makeshift Python wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:08 am I’m getting the impression many people on this thread don’t seem to understand that Hollywood giving more significant roles to people of color, LGBTQ, etc is not because of some liberal, SJW, or whatever political agenda/conspiracy.
That doesn't seem to be what people are complaining about. If I've ever seen anyone complain about Michael being a woman of color, it's in tandem with the writing going out out of its way to support the social justice agenda, and/or the way the marketing has been done along those lines. Actually the marketing in particular was hilarious because a lot of the stuff they were bragging about had already been done on DS9. In any case, the "agenda" aspect of it has to do with the writing and the virtue signaling of the production staff, not simply the casting.
TrueMetis wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:51 pm Was it multiple reviews by the same person?
Some of them, yeah.
Cause if all you've got is "reviewers call bad movie bad" that's not so much obsession as it is a reviewer doing their job. Like if you want to show me obsessive show me something similar to the idiocy of the Ghostbusters remake, which had the same people make multiple videos about it before it even came out. Angryjoe alone made 5 videos about it 2 about just the trailers.
A lot of people were especially on about the Robocop remake and the new Predator movie and how stupid they are and how they undermine the original they were based on.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

@Makeshift Python Well, I don't think it's a leftist conspiracy. My view, however, is the corporatizing of Hollywood, and the fact many of the stories we cherish from ages past have already been done, are leaving very little room for original, quirky, creative ideas to explore something fresh, new, and memorable.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Yup, there's little room for the major studios to try new things. They have too much (money) hinging on the success of their products and so will always try to play it safe or try to create leverage when they smell blood in their own water (see Ghostbusters 2016's trumped up nontroversies).
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

^That's more my interpretation as well.
-TR
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

It doesn't help we ARE the generation of nostalgia, so looking back at those old movies and TV shows with reverence is at an all-time high, and they know it, so playing to that nostalgia is smart business, but they don't have the first clue what made 'em so great. Refer to Teen Titans Go, ReBoot, Star Trek, and Star Wars to get a clear idea what I mean. And many, many more.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

Corporations do the safe thing to make money? Color me shocked.

It's also why, for the longest time, Will Smith and Denzel Washington(and Wesley Snipes, until he became impossible to work with on set) were the only big black names in Hollywood. The lesson taken was that only those two sold tickets, not that black males can be the leads in films.

It's pants on head idiotic thinking, but it's how their minds worked until relatively recently.
------------

Anyway, this whole episode is a mess, and a real downer after how riveting I found the Mirror Universe arc. Having Discovery trapped there would have been a better resolution to why we don't hear about Spore drive. Or just making it to where the mushroom network is destroyed, and doesn't destroy all life in the universe.

And with this episode, I didn't really care what was going to happen to Ash. He felt like he was a check mark to deal with and get rid of, as others said.

The Klingon war? Well, it just stopped because one person is holding a superweapon over their heads until later. Not really satisfying.

And it really does say something about Starfleet in this show that they have to resort to genocide without it being S31 as a way to win. It's plan A.

I haven't seen anything of season 2, but I really hope they learned their lesson and injected both some hope and some fun into the show. Because without either, it's not Star Trek. Or at least, they give us some concepts to chew on that are interesting and not just a serial arc about how awful the Federation is during war time.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I mean, I don't think in Kirk's time they ever committed genocide. Kirk wanted to chase down and punish the Gorn, but he didn't want to wipe out their whole race. Sure, Kevin committed genocide, but he wasn't part of Starfleet.
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

Big budget movies are playing things safe and not doing much that's original or quirky?

Television, though, has never been more innovative than it is now. Sure, there are quite a TV reboots out there, but it's also difficult to imagine something as off-beat as The Good Place, A Series of Unfortunate Events, or Review coming out a decade or two back.

Increasingly, television is where people looking to do smaller budget, experimental work go. Theatrical film is mainly reserved for big, crowd-pleasing spectacle.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Well, Teen Titans Go, ReBoot: The Guardian Code, and Star Trek: Discovery have been massive disappointments from what I've seen. It seems these new crop of writers don't understand what the fans want which made the original series so great.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

I think part of that is that the people making this stuff have convinced themselves that they can replace the old fans with new ones who will totally eat up whatever they come up with. And to be fair they do seem to have gotten themselves some fans.
-TR