DIS: “Will You Take My Hand?”

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Fianna
Captain

Re: DIS: “Will You Take My Hand?”

Post by Fianna »

Well, at least in the case of Teen Titans Go, it's pretty clearly a parody of the original, not an attempt to do the same sort of thing. It's like saying Spaceballs isn't a very good Star Wars reboot.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Fianna wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:18 amIt's like saying Spaceballs isn't a very good Star Wars reboot.
At least it generally is regarded as a fun ride and not trying as hard as possible to divide it's audience. That's much more than the "Sequels" managed :?
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
BunBun299
Officer

Post by BunBun299 »

Yukaphile wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:45 pm I mean, I don't think in Kirk's time they ever committed genocide. Kirk wanted to chase down and punish the Gorn, but he didn't want to wipe out their whole race. Sure, Kevin committed genocide, but he wasn't part of Starfleet.
Kevin was one of Trek's cosmic beings, I don't think he counts, just because he was cosplaying human.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Exactly what I said.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
BunBun299
Officer

Post by BunBun299 »

Admiral X wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:02 am I think part of that is that the people making this stuff have convinced themselves that they can replace the old fans with new ones who will totally eat up whatever they come up with. And to be fair they do seem to have gotten themselves some fans.
This is an attitude I just do not get. Yes, it is desirable to bring in new fans. But how can you not want to start by bringing in the old ones? If you're going to use the established brand, then you want to hook those old fans first, or what was the point?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

They want SJWs and Millennials, but given how slow Trek is in growing, that will only take them so far, and they need us more than we need them. Look at how well Trek did in the 1990s, mostly thanks to its strong storytelling, which is completely absent in modern Trek. It wants to be like it was in the 1990s, but it's missing the most important aspect of TNG and DS9 - which is intelligence.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Also, in regards to earlier comments in the thread, First Contact still holds up well. The only weak element is the Queen. Imagine if they had found another way to take out the Borg, and just ejected this stupid non-Borg idea grafted onto the Borg, so that then they could focus more time on Cochrane? I think the movie would have cemented itself much stronger in people's minds today.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I have pretty much no problem with the Borg Queen in concept.
..What mirror universe?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I do. It's a complete betrayal of their original concept.
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

I think it works if you go with the interpretation that the Queen isn't the source of the Borg Collective's will, but simply the vessel that will is being expressed through.

Like, there's only a single Borg mind, made up of who-knows-how-many assimilated drones, but most of those drones are incapable of communicating the will of Collective mind in anything but the absolute simplest terms; no more than one cell in a person's body can tell you about the person as a whole. On the rare occasions the Borg want to establish a dialogue with someone before/instead of assimilating them, they use the Borg Queen, who's basically a user interface terminal, letting the totality of the Borg Collective express itself through a single face and voice.