Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

Post by Yukaphile »

Plus he's engaged. I disagree with Chuck massively here. He says "the transporter will still be there to let down all your hopes and dreams later!" but if he's working the possibility of returning to his fiancee, then of course he's not gonna wanna be unfaithful. This is one area I'd agree with others in that toning it down over the years helped.

Well, tbf, that describes me... sometimes.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

I thought Wesley was massively improved starting with the second season where they toned down his wunderkind aspect and made him feel more like a real teenager. The worst depiction of Wesley in the first season was in “The Battle” where he seemed to find answers that should have been obvious to the officers, along with his smug attitude “heh, adults”.

It was a terrible first impression, so much it tainted any further development of the character for many.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I agree. :)
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Harry Kim's say borderline doofus. As an ensign he's notably competent in his studies. Certainly more than Paris, though I feel they wrote that into him as they did Wesley. And he has a very attractive mate waiting back home for him. Then there's everything else Chuck says about him.

Then there's the second Harry Kim that happens halfway through the series.
..What mirror universe?
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

That episode where Kim wakes up in an alternate reality of never having gone with Voyager certainly made him less intresting. I don’t think he ever contemplates on whether he wants to stay home with his fiancé, rather right from the get go he wants to get back on Voyager because he feels bad that he switched places with someone we’ve never seen. How wholesomely boring.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Yukaphile wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:49 am Plus he's engaged. I disagree with Chuck massively here. He says "the transporter will still be there to let down all your hopes and dreams later!" but if he's working the possibility of returning to his fiancee, then of course he's not gonna wanna be unfaithful. This is one area I'd agree with others in that toning it down over the years helped.

Well, tbf, that describes me... sometimes.
But when does Libby stop becoming an issue for him, because he just stops mentioning her very quickly. It doesn't stop him going after a hologram, the wrong Delaney twin, Seven of Nine, and even Tom's daughter (an alternate version of him). Not to mention the fact that he loves her so much that in Non Sequitar he doesn't even want to have sex with her?! Like the comment above said, he is boringly wholesome.
drewder
Officer

Post by drewder »

clearspira wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:05 pm
Yukaphile wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:00 pm Crusher wasn't given a ship to command, please note, even though she has bridge experience and did so in "Descent." The villains are all female, and the good guy leaders are male. That is very dis-empowering for women. I don't really count Toral because he's a puppet. Again, the one pulling the strings are the sisters and Sela, and the sisters are only doing this because of that bullshit "women can't lead the Council" rule. The linchpin leaders on the side of the Klingons and the Federation, past the token rubber-stamp admiral, is Picard, Data, Worf, Kurn, and Gowron. All male, or with something resembling male anatomy in Data's case. Also please note this is the same episode that revealed Tasha Yar was turned into a sex slave for protection and to spare the lives of the C's crew, then tried to bring her rape baby with her to safety (a position I find dubious given how often it's presented within the media that women should just naturally WANT to keep their rape babies, since it ties into the "women nurture" vibe and any woman who strays outside that is seen as bad), and got killed for it. I think this was mostly Ron Moore, right? He's also the guy who, I believe, gave us the "Sisko is a rape baby" plot in Season 7 DS9. Man, this is really why the Trek writing team needed more women to balance out the men - or at least more Feminist-minded women.
More feminist minded women got us STD. Just saying.
Wasn't Code of Honor written by a feminist author not to mention Emancipation from star gate sg1. Not sure that the politics of those were much better.
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

Can't speak on emancipation since I haven't seen it, but rewatching Code of Honor recently even without the racist overtones that episode was still a trainwreck.
Wild_Kraken
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Wild_Kraken »

Hey guys what's going on in this thread? Is it back on topic after a bit of a digression? Good. Carry on.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

StayOnTopic.jpg
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR