Doctor Who: Utopia, Sound of Drums and Last of the Timelords

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Re: Doctor Who: Utopia, Sound of Drums and Last of the Timelords

Post by CrypticMirror »

Wait, when did these come out? I can't find them on the reviews list/
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

CrypticMirror wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:53 pm Wait, when did these come out? I can't find them on the reviews list/
They aren't out yet. They are set to come out soon I believe.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

I think my enjoyment of this was somewhat limited because I never cared for the Master as a villain. This incarnation at least provided a bit of manic charm to the acting, but as an evil foil for the Doctor he never worked for me. He's just come off as generically evil and diabolic in a dime-store Moriarty sort of way.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
SlackerinDeNile
Officer

Post by SlackerinDeNile »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:52 am I think my enjoyment of this was somewhat limited because I never cared for the Master as a villain. This incarnation at least provided a bit of manic charm to the acting, but as an evil foil for the Doctor he never worked for me. He's just come off as generically evil and diabolic in a dime-store Moriarty sort of way.
I agree with you although I think Missy is one of the best takes on The Master in quite a long time.
"I am to liquor what the Crocodile Hunter is to Alligators." - Afroman
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

SlackerinDeNile wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:17 pm
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:52 am I think my enjoyment of this was somewhat limited because I never cared for the Master as a villain. This incarnation at least provided a bit of manic charm to the acting, but as an evil foil for the Doctor he never worked for me. He's just come off as generically evil and diabolic in a dime-store Moriarty sort of way.
I agree with you although I think Missy is one of the best takes on The Master in quite a long time.
Would have made a great Rani, but Master? Hardly. I think its out of character for someone as misogynistic as him to want a sex change and wear a big silly dress, but as we are in the era of sex changes for no reason then I guess it must now be in character. :roll:

As an aside, do you know the best evidence that Thirteen is probably the most vanilla, by the numbers Doctor we have ever had? No one on here is talking about her. No one on this science fiction forum is making threads to discuss the individual episodes, her as a charcacter, or even her series as a whole, whereas STD and TLJ has dozens of threads to its name here. Hell, we can make completely unconnected subjects find a way to get back onto STD and TLJ and have done so many times. But Thirteen? This current Doctor in the longest running science fiction show there is? You can almost hear the tumbleweeds rolling by.
She is an average Doctor is every way but her genitals, and the fact that she has already quit also speaks volumes.
The same extends to her companions too. Bradley Walsh is reasonable, but I can't even name the others much less hold them up to the level set by the likes of Rose, Jack, Martha, Donna and Amy.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Jeesh. Salty much?
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:54 pm Jeesh. Salty much?
Stating facts. Or do you have another explanation besides being five shades of beige for how no one on here has taken an interest in her first series or why a misogynist would want to be a woman?
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

Regeneration is a crazy process. You never know what you're going to get, and the result is basically always different. Sometimes they can be a mechanical genius, sometime not. Sometimes they like fast cars and do martian judo, sometimes not. It's always a jumble.

The Doctor never seems to get along with his other incarnations, be they past or future versions. He always hates what he was/what he becomes. And yet, upon regeneration, is almost always pleased with the new form nearly immediately.

No one is talking about the thirteenth doctor because the show itself was dull. Nothing on the character, but the villains, the plot, the scripts, the far too many companions were the problem. They picked the wrong showrunner, not the wrong Doctor.

She basically ran into the same problem as the Fifth Doctor. They put too many people on the tardis and that dilutes what any of them can do and what the stories can be about. Five had to follow Tom freaking Baker, still probably the most iconic and popular in the show's history, and he had some terrible episodes, and his multiple companions all sucked, including Chameleon who had to sit in a corner due to not working, and Adric, who people were happy to see die... and he was a tagalong from the end of Baker's era Five didn't really get anything memorable or interesting until his death episode.... and that's considered one of the series' best.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

clearspira wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:01 am
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:54 pm Jeesh. Salty much?
Stating facts. Or do you have another explanation besides being five shades of beige for how no one on here has taken an interest in her first series or why a misogynist would want to be a woman?
I haven't seen it, so I can't talk about it. I stopped watching during the start of Capaldi's run when it became clear that the problems festering during Smith's days were getting far, far worse. It has nothing to do with the new Doctor, because they lost me long before she was even a thing.
BunBun299
Officer

Post by BunBun299 »

Strange thing about this trio of episodes. Martha Jones was probably my least favorite of all the modern companions. I don't hate her. But it kinda felt to me like she never moved past being the Rebound Companion. At least, not until these episodes, when she left. But, in spite being the bottom of the barrel, she's also the only companion whose departure of the series I actually liked. And not because I wanted to see her go. Like I said, I don't dislike her. But she seems the only one to have reached the point as a character that she no longer needed to travel with the Doctor, that she could now move on with her life. Everyone else needed over the top tragedy to get them out of the Tardis.

So in a way, it's really too bad we can't have more companions like Martha, at least in that sense.