The issues of Human centric stories in Sci-Fi and Fantasy works

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Thanotos Omega
Redshirt

The issues of Human centric stories in Sci-Fi and Fantasy works

Post by Thanotos Omega »

Starting with Star Wars, they really need to start putting more Aliens in the main casts the main enemies of the series are anti Alien Nazis this makes having humans as the central protagonists little more than a slightly less bad version of the white man's burden, and feeds into the false narrative of the bigots being a few bad apples during these events, i would personally like them to show that the new republic went down so quick because most of the aliens left it over the human alliance leaders letting criminals like slave traders off the hook, and have it be revealed that the forces who liberated Coruscant had all their Mon Cala ships removed and only human foot soldiers were deployed ect,

Next up The Lord of the Rings, Shadow of Mordor and War should have been about a Orc trying to rebuild their people with the help of a Maiar in disguise,

Just in general non humans need to stop being given the shaft, because it's all just thinly veiled bigotry in the end,
You will notice i end my sentences with a , this will not change, you are wasting everyone involved's time pointing it out, this is just a quirk of how i ,unicate!
clearspira
Overlord

Re: The issues of Human centric stories in Sci-Fi and Fantasy works

Post by clearspira »

Thanotos Omega wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:21 pm Starting with Star Wars, they really need to start putting more Aliens in the main casts the main enemies of the series are anti Alien Nazis this makes having humans as the central protagonists little more than a slightly less bad version of the white man's burden, and feeds into the false narrative of the bigots being a few bad apples during these events, i would personally like them to show that the new republic went down so quick because most of the aliens left it over the human alliance leaders letting criminals like slave traders off the hook, and have it be revealed that the forces who liberated Coruscant had all their Mon Cala ships removed and only human foot soldiers were deployed ect,

Next up The Lord of the Rings, Shadow of Mordor and War should have been about a Orc trying to rebuild their people with the help of a Maiar in disguise,

Just in general non humans need to stop being given the shaft, because it's all just thinly veiled bigotry in the end,
Its a question of the fact that human audiences relate to human or humanoid characters more than the completely alien.
Thanotos Omega
Redshirt

Post by Thanotos Omega »

clearspira wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:30 pm
Its a question of the fact that human audiences relate to human or humanoid characters more than the completely alien.
the same thing is used to shout down inclusion of human diversity, so it's kind of a bad argument here when the point of my post is that the human centrist works are just low key bigotry, the only difference is that you can get away with it easier, look at Dragon Age and how they took a native american expy and made them villains for not wanting to be mistreated anymore, made all the members who want to maintain cultural identity in the face of oppressive demands to assimilate only to be exploited into stuck up assholes who need to let go of the past, and blamed them for everything that went wrong,
You will notice i end my sentences with a , this will not change, you are wasting everyone involved's time pointing it out, this is just a quirk of how i ,unicate!
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Thanotos Omega wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:37 pm
bigotry,
Yeah, use the nuclear word, the career ender, the ULTIMATE DESTRUCTOR.

Zoinksberg
Officer

Post by Zoinksberg »

Movie aliens and fantasy creatures do not actually exist.

I just feel like anybody who thinks not including more of them in a film is bigotry probably doesn't actually know this. So now you do.

Having the opinion of wanting more non-human creatures to have larger parts in a film is reasonable. Telling others that if they don't agree with you they are bigots is not, and frankly makes light of actual bigotry.
Thanotos Omega
Redshirt

Post by Thanotos Omega »

Non humans by default become allegory to otherness, just like no matter how much he didn't want them to Tolkien's orcs became allegory for non europeans ect, you cannot escape this you cannot prevent this, you must work with it, because in the end if any sentient species in your work is treated badly it will become allegory for some group of real world humans, heck that's probably why STD went so far in on trying to make the Klingons look inhuman, of course they botched that to heck, you cannot escape that your work is a part of the whole of humanity, i don't think BioWare intended to make the elves come off like they did, but that's what happened because they didn't treat elves like individuals they treated them like a mass of identical individuals and now they run a very real risk of killing their second biggest franchise if they don't tread carefully,
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Thanotos Omega wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:21 pm Starting with Star Wars, they really need to start putting more Aliens in the main casts the main enemies of the series are anti Alien Nazis this makes having humans as the central protagonists little more than a slightly less bad version of the white man's burden, and feeds into the false narrative of the bigots being a few bad apples during these events, i would personally like them to show that the new republic went down so quick because most of the aliens left it over the human alliance leaders letting criminals like slave traders off the hook, and have it be revealed that the forces who liberated Coruscant had all their Mon Cala ships removed and only human foot soldiers were deployed ect,

Oh yeah? What about Wall-E?

Makes ya think.
..What mirror universe?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:39 pm

Makes ya think.
Wall-E is a good counter example, but he does have human features in the wide eyes, which is a trait you will typically see in cartoon babies and animals to convey cuteness. In that sense he isn't devoid of human characteristics. A good example would be the squids from the Matrix that look terrifying precisely because they have nothing in common with us.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

clearspira wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:00 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:39 pm

Makes ya think.
Wall-E is a good counter example, but he does have human features in the wide eyes, which is a trait you will typically see in cartoon babies and animals to convey cuteness. In that sense he isn't devoid of human characteristics. A good example would be the squids from the Matrix that look terrifying precisely because they have nothing in common with us.
Thanks! Actually I think The AI itself is a good example, even if just as far as Chuck's review of the movie when he describes incompatible comprehension of stuff like their motives.
..What mirror universe?
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Thanotos Omega wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:21 pm, and feeds into the false narrative of the bigots being a few bad apples during these events,
Wait I don't get why this is.
..What mirror universe?