Doctor Who: Utopia, Sound of Drums and Last of the Timelords

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
FaxModem1
Captain

Re: Doctor Who: Utopia, Sound of Drums and Last of the Timelords

Post by FaxModem1 »

BunBun299 wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:35 pm Strange thing about this trio of episodes. Martha Jones was probably my least favorite of all the modern companions. I don't hate her. But it kinda felt to me like she never moved past being the Rebound Companion. At least, not until these episodes, when she left. But, in spite being the bottom of the barrel, she's also the only companion whose departure of the series I actually liked. And not because I wanted to see her go. Like I said, I don't dislike her. But she seems the only one to have reached the point as a character that she no longer needed to travel with the Doctor, that she could now move on with her life. Everyone else needed over the top tragedy to get them out of the Tardis.

So in a way, it's really too bad we can't have more companions like Martha, at least in that sense.
The whole Sound of Drums trilogy is Martha coming into her own. How wonderful that all it took for her to grow up was the end of the world.
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

clearspira wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:01 am
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:54 pm Jeesh. Salty much?
Stating facts. Or do you have another explanation besides being five shades of beige for how no one on here has taken an interest in her first series or why a misogynist would want to be a woman?
The Master didn't "want" to become Missy; it was random. At best it came from a subconscious desire of some sort, possibly as a way to resolve his love-hate relationship with the Doctor.

He was also more of a "casual" misogynist than a dedicated one. He thought he was better than everybody and would have had more respect for a female Time Lord than a male human simply because he himself is a Time Lord. It's also not like he treated men much better; he was probably cruel to Lucy because she was subservient as much as anything else and that brought out his sadistic tendencies.

He wasn't terrible to women because he was misogynist or sexist; he was terrible to women because he's the Master and he's terrible to EVERYONE. If he used sexist language or whatever (can't remember if he did- been a while since I saw it) it was more to bully and demean and another way to feel superior than any actual belief that men>women.

Though as to why a misogynist might want to be a women...hey, a lot of homophobes turn out to be in the closet too. By the same token, misogynists might not be secretly trans or anything, but they typically have suppressed their "feminine" side and projected it outwards as weakness onto women, so they can have unmet psychological needs which they are in denial about because they associate it both with inferiority and with women.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Jonathan101 wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:36 pm
Stating facts. Or do you have another explanation besides being five shades of beige for how no one on here has taken an interest in her first series or why a misogynist would want to be a woman?
The Master didn't "want" to become Missy; it was random. At best it came from a subconscious desire of some sort, possibly as a way to resolve his love-hate relationship with the Doctor.

He was also more of a "casual" misogynist than a dedicated one. He thought he was better than everybody and would have had more respect for a female Time Lord than a male human simply because he himself is a Time Lord. It's also not like he treated men much better; he was probably cruel to Lucy because she was subservient as much as anything else and that brought out his sadistic tendencies.

He wasn't terrible to women because he was misogynist or sexist; he was terrible to women because he's the Master and he's terrible to EVERYONE. If he used sexist language or whatever (can't remember if he did- been a while since I saw it) it was more to bully and demean and another way to feel superior than any actual belief that men>women.

Though as to why a misogynist might want to be a women...hey, a lot of homophobes turn out to be in the closet too. By the same token, misogynists might not be secretly trans or anything, but they typically have suppressed their "feminine" side and projected it outwards as weakness onto women, so they can have unmet psychological needs which they are in denial about because they associate it both with inferiority and with women.
See, I have a problem with the idea that the sex change was random seeing as the Doctor made it through thirteen bodies as a man and the Master made it through his 13 regenerations plus more as a man too. The chance of that being random and not conscious control seems unlikely.
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

The Doctors' regenerations are canonically random, with some subconscious influence. He spent a good chunk of his run as Capaldi wondering why he was wearing this face (of a guy he saved as Tennant), and often he spends time looking in a mirror being surprised at what he looks like; Smith ran into his doppleganger and asked aloud "who is that?"

At best it's probably something like, "if you see yourself as male, you'll usually end up male, but once or twice you might be a girl". One of the Time Lords in Capaldis' run was a guy who transformed into a women and then remarked that she was normally a woman in the first place.

Granted, with the Doctor it's also always been shown that his particular regenerations are a bit "wonky" as he consistently has more trouble adjusting to his new forms than most other Time Lords, but overall for Time Lords in general it seems to be something they don't fully dictate, which would make sense since they usually don't decide to die in the first place and might not have much time to dwell on how to look next.

Of course, with Simms' Master there is a bit of a twist, since he dies after meeting Missy, possibly shortly after (though it's obvious the door is still open for him to return), so perhaps he chose to be a woman because he WILL be a woman so why fight it? Or maybe there are other regens between him and Missy to give him some development- who knows?
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

clearspira wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:01 pm

See, I have a problem with the idea that the sex change was random seeing as the Doctor made it through thirteen bodies as a man and the Master made it through his 13 regenerations plus more as a man too. The chance of that being random and not conscious control seems unlikely.
Oh get the fuck over it.
CrypticMirror wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:53 pm Wait, when did these come out? I can't find them on the reviews list/
They're out next week (though some Patreon users have seen them). This is certainly a long thread for episodes not out yet though, yeah.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Sir Will wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:31 am They're out next week (though some Patreon users have seen them). This is certainly a long thread for episodes not out yet though, yeah.
That seems to be happening a lot lately?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Sir Will wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:31 am
clearspira wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:01 pm

Oh get the fuck over it.
:roll:
Steve
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Steve »

Deledrius wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:03 am
Sir Will wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:31 am They're out next week (though some Patreon users have seen them). This is certainly a long thread for episodes not out yet though, yeah.
Everyone loves to get their word in on something, I suppose.
"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

Administrator of SFD, Former Spacebattles Super-Mod, Veteran Chatnik. And multiverse crossover-loving writer, of course!
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

This three parter used to be my absolute worst of the worst of the rebooted Who. However it has since fallen out of the top ten worst entirely. And it did it at a rate of one episode a week. In fact the way it did it has made me walk away from the show entirely, including the older stuff because knowing where the road leads makes me feel like I no longer want to walk it at all. We're in the Star Trek Discovery Era (and Last Jedi era too) of Doctor Who, where it is just so bad that it is putting me off the franchise entirely. Same way including Visionaries did with the IDW Transformers comics, come to that, and those Franchises will need to follow the IDW route to get me back. Vis, a complete hard reboot without the unpleasant elements entirely.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Deledrius wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:03 am
Yeah, preemptive threads suck. Is it so hard to just wait?