VOY - Retrospect

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: VOY - Retrospect

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Yukaphile wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:06 pm The "not believing rape victims" charge - on the one hand, I can see why it gets people upset, as Chuck himself mentioned in the episode, but on the other hand, I've done that myself, when hearing their accounts and finding it wanting, when the woman or women in question are not behaving in a realistic manner, and so I wonder how accurate said accounts are. What does that make me?
At such point, do you further wish for truth on the matter to be revealed, or do you make up your mind about the whole case based on that instinct?
..What mirror universe?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

The former. That's what leads me to such feelings. Without that, I tend to believe it - that's when the weaknesses in the story leads me to conclude it feels dubious, in the case I mentioned.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Yukaphile wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:42 pm The former. That's what leads me to such feelings. Without that, I tend to believe it - that's when the weaknesses in the story leads me to conclude it feels dubious, in the case I mentioned.
Those feelings you're mentioning don't have anything to do with the truth being revealed though. How much do you actually trust such instincts on the matter?
..What mirror universe?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

It was submitted anonymously, so that makes it even harder to trust said person reporting it - given that I need a name to go with the account. It makes one question why it's being submitted anonymously and why the women are not behaving realistically... unless, of course, it's that it's partially or completely fabricated. Belief, outside a court context (if you're a juror, you have to remain impartial, or close to it), costs us nothing, I know that's true. But only for living, breathing people who have names. And as Chuck himself said in "Profit and Lace," it's always important to name the victims.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Yukaphile wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:00 am It was submitted anonymously, so that makes it even harder to trust said person reporting it - given that I need a name to go with the account. It makes one question why it's being submitted anonymously and why the women are not behaving realistically... unless, of course, it's that it's partially or completely fabricated. Belief, outside a court context (if you're a juror, you have to remain impartial, or close to it), costs us nothing, I know that's true. But only for living, breathing people who have names. And as Chuck himself said in "Profit and Lace," it's always important to name the victims.
So I guess you're saying that you've made up your mind on the matter. Believing it impossible for it to be true.
..What mirror universe?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Could be true. I suspect it isn't, though. I do need names to go with the victim, though. Is that so unreasonable?
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Yukaphile wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:09 am Could be true. I suspect it isn't, though. I do need names to go with the victim, though. Is that so unreasonable?
Well I guess we'll just have to work with that.
..What mirror universe?
TrueMetis
Officer

Post by TrueMetis »

What precisely is "behaving in a realistic manner"? This is getting perilously close to when people ask a rape victim "why didn't you fight back?"
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

TrueMetis wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:35 pm What precisely is "behaving in a realistic manner"? This is getting perilously close to when people ask a rape victim "why didn't you fight back?"
I can't answer that, and I doubt anyone else here can either. But there are police psychologists who have spent their lives studying thousands of victims and criminals, and they are damn good at noting the common parallels between the guilty and the innocent. I watch the crime channel a lot, and some of these experts are nearly omniscent in their predictions. Human beings are not as unique and unpredictable in their actions as we like to think.
Zoinksberg
Officer

Post by Zoinksberg »

If an expert seems like they have perfected the knowledge of human psychology then they are cherry picking results for TV and/or are fabricating their results. Having too much belief in a particular psychological science as nearly infallible is how things like false repressed memories became such a big problem.