Korra Season 2 Part 4

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Steve
Doctor's Assistant

Re: Korra Season 2 Part 4

Post by Steve »

Darmani wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:08 am
Steve wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:50 am Darmani, your writing is usually more comprehensible.

For the benefit of everyone else, Darmani is likely the SB poster of the same screenname, who participated (with many others, including myself) in the Korra/Asami discussion that took over the Spacebattles thread on TLOK back when the finale aired.
Yes it is me. Who were you over there

I do not appreciate the implication I took over a thread.
Just to be clear as this was obviously the last image in the series the relationship was pretty much what everybody was talking about and practically the only thing that's praise and look forward to in terms of the series
I'm Big Steve on SB, and I apologize, I should've worded that better. You did not take over the thread, the discussion did, and IIRC you weren't even one of the more common posters to it.

I was mostly concerned with your earlier post having some clear issues with its composition, as if you were impaired or something, glad to see you're okay.
"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

Administrator of SFD, Former Spacebattles Super-Mod, Veteran Chatnik. And multiverse crossover-loving writer, of course!
phantom000
Captain

Post by phantom000 »

TrueMetis wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:38 pm Because the creators have no fucking idea what they're doing when it comes to romance? Their one good go at romance was Sokka and Suki, and that's because they had two compatible people and just skipped past all the build up horseshit and just had them be a couple. No will they won't they. No assholishness. No dumbass overdone misunderstandings. Every other relationship they tried to create during the series was trash.
I'm not really a fan of Aang and Katarra, Zuko and Mai was all right but I was a bit disappointed they didn't go with Zuko and Katarra, because that could have worked.
TrueMetis
Officer

Post by TrueMetis »

phantom000 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:11 am
TrueMetis wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:38 pm Because the creators have no fucking idea what they're doing when it comes to romance? Their one good go at romance was Sokka and Suki, and that's because they had two compatible people and just skipped past all the build up horseshit and just had them be a couple. No will they won't they. No assholishness. No dumbass overdone misunderstandings. Every other relationship they tried to create during the series was trash.
I'm not really a fan of Aang and Katarra, Zuko and Mai was all right but I was a bit disappointed they didn't go with Zuko and Katarra, because that could have worked.
They would have spent the entire last season teasing it and fucked that up too.

But yeah Zuko and Katara would have been nice, but then the creators are the type of people who mock people who were fond of the ship, then attempt to cash in with their shitty recreation attempt.
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

Sokka and Suki were great, but I don't particularly have anything against Aang and Katara, they work albeit in a generic sort of fashion.

I actually DON'T like the whole "Zutara" thing, because those two would destroy each other. "The Southern Raiders" in particular showcases this--Zuko, in a legitimate, well-intentioned attempt to help Katara with her personal drama, nearly takes her somewhere really bad. It's Aang whose advice pulls Katara back to herself and reminds her of who she prefers to be. The core issue is that the personalities are too similar in all the wrong ways. Zuko is a man defined by his conscience fighting back against his more dominant traits of loyalty to family and nation. Katara is a woman defined by her loyalty to family and nation clawing at her more dominant conscience. Those two, together? They will stifle all the best parts of each other and reinforce the worst, all while trying their best to help.

Zuko and Mai works better because Mai and Zuko have a different and more "friends first" dynamic, and because they are both conscience-fighting-and-overcoming-loyalty types. (Also, I like the idea of "yeah, I've got this arranged marriage, but we get along OK and will be professional about our whole hereditary nobility crap", it's a refreshing take on the sort of world and situation built in the show)

As for TLOK--I genuinely like Korra/Asami and like to think that Asami had her eye on Korra from the start, because that amuses me. The problem with Mako, as others have mentioned, is that he's superficially caustic like Zuko but without any of Zuko's character development or initial villain status or genuine compassion or internal struggle to be better or ANY of that stuff. He's just...a good-looking jerk who the lead wants to bone. And that's annoying.

Then in season 2 he's still kind of a dick but Korra is being a total asshole, then in season 3 he has the family bonding arc that gives him a little humanity, and I like when they had him be the straight man to Wu's short man, but still, it's not enough.

Bolin was OK, he never really amused me as much as Sokka.

Jinora I could do with a tad less of, though.
TrueMetis
Officer

Post by TrueMetis »

Worffan101 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:13 am I actually DON'T like the whole "Zutara" thing, because those two would destroy each other. "The Southern Raiders" in particular showcases this--Zuko, in a legitimate, well-intentioned attempt to help Katara with her personal drama, nearly takes her somewhere really bad. It's Aang whose advice pulls Katara back to herself and reminds her of who she prefers to be. The core issue is that the personalities are too similar in all the wrong ways. Zuko is a man defined by his conscience fighting back against his more dominant traits of loyalty to family and nation. Katara is a woman defined by her loyalty to family and nation clawing at her more dominant conscience. Those two, together? They will stifle all the best parts of each other and reinforce the worst, all while trying their best to help.
Katara totally ignores Aang's advice. Did we not watch the same episode? The one that ends with Katara explicitly going "I didn't forgive him, I'll never forgive him" totally brushing off the point Aang repeatedly tried to make. Unless you're referring to his lame ass "don't take revenge, let your anger out, forgive him" thing as the reason she didn't kill Yon Rha. In which case, I don't really know what to tell you, but you think really little of Katara if you think she needed Aang to make the decision not to kill someone in cold blood. And arguably she didn't follow any of those, she explicitly make it clear she didn't follow the last one, I'm not in her head so I can't know if she followed the second, and there's more than one way to take revenge than just killing someone. Leaving someone a pathetic pile of fear in the rain works pretty well in my book.

As opposed to Zuko, who wants to give her a chance to face the man who killed her mother but at no point at all makes any sort of judgement on how she personally had to handle that situation. Like you seem to be under the impression he wanted her to kill Yon Rha, which confuses me because Zuko's had had plenty of opportunity and reason to kill in cold blood, but, you know, hasn't. Hell when Zhao was grabbed by La and I don't think anyone would think badly if he just did nothing but he tried to help.

Basically Zuko and Katara are people with similar moral codes who would understand each others need to make their own decisions, while Aangs a self-righteous hypocrite who thinks he knows best. Not exactly an unexpected trait in a 12 year old raised by monks, but annoying none the less.
Last edited by TrueMetis on Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

I've made my point and disagree strongly with yours, TrueMetis.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Really? I found Suki to be about as interesting as a low-sodium saltine, and the only thing that relationship had going for it was the "recovering from past hurt" thing. Other than that it was healthy, but bland and un-engaging.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

phantom000 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:11 am
Zutarra couldn't happen because you get one chance with Katara. ONE.
She's quick to fall for people, but if you break her heart, she will never fully forgive you for it.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Steve
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Steve »

I've always wondered if the Zutara thing was fueled in part by people trying to defy the clearly-ordained Katara/Aang relationship.

Although the way the "Avatar Extras" airings of the series trolled the shippers was hilarious. (Namely, the series finale's last exposition/commentary bubble was "Kataang Wins!")
"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

Administrator of SFD, Former Spacebattles Super-Mod, Veteran Chatnik. And multiverse crossover-loving writer, of course!
phantom000
Captain

Post by phantom000 »

Steve wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:33 pm I've always wondered if the Zutara thing was fueled in part by people trying to defy the clearly-ordained Katara/Aang relationship.

Although the way the "Avatar Extras" airings of the series trolled the shippers was hilarious. (Namely, the series finale's last exposition/commentary bubble was "Kataang Wins!")
I know most Avatar Fans don't like to talk about the film, but if i was the one trying to make the 'Airbender Trilogy' i would be tempted to go with Zutara as a means to maybe streamline Zuko's arch. Make it where his feelings for Katara are what turns him to the good side and perhaps even have him side with Team Avatar at Ba Sing Se to save her.