Doctor Who: Utopia, Sound of Drums and Last of the Timelords

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Linkara
Officer

Re: Doctor Who: Utopia, Sound of Drums and Last of the Timelords

Post by Linkara »

I can't remember where (possibly one of the novels?) but it was suggested that the reason the Doctor's regenerations are so traumatic is because they never happen by choice. He always puts them off as long as possible, he falls from great heights, absorbs radiation, poisoned, etc. It's never "I have grown old enough that it is time to regenerate," and that some Time Lords would actually remain largely unchanged in their appearances when they regenerate simply because they let the process occur when it's supposed to, whereas the Doctor never just lets it happen. Even 1st to 2nd, with his body wearing thin, had a lot of factors and events go into it that finally did him in.
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

I think, if the John Simms-Master is a foil to the David Tennant one, I have to wonder if the Derek Jacobi Master is a foil to the War Doctor or the NInth Doctor? A warrior, or a survivor?
Ghilz
Officer

Post by Ghilz »

Woo, my three monthly requests. That trio I think is when I started falling out with New!Who

I didn't mind Simms' master, I was pretty neutral, but the entire resolution just killed me. After Last of the Time Lord I never was as much into Who again, watching the show when it was on but never actually pursuing it again. Till I left altogether during the Capaldi era. I don't bare the violent hatred for Moffat others I know have, though I think it's because my opinion of the show sort of soured early.

I do wish we'd have had more time with Derek Jacobi as the Master. He's a terrific actor and I love his transition from lovable scatterbrain Professor to menacing monster immediately.
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

CrypticMirror wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:50 pm This three parter used to be my absolute worst of the worst of the rebooted Who. However it has since fallen out of the top ten worst entirely. And it did it at a rate of one episode a week. In fact the way it did it has made me walk away from the show entirely, including the older stuff because knowing where the road leads makes me feel like I no longer want to walk it at all. We're in the Star Trek Discovery Era (and Last Jedi era too) of Doctor Who, where it is just so bad that it is putting me off the franchise entirely. Same way including Visionaries did with the IDW Transformers comics, come to that, and those Franchises will need to follow the IDW route to get me back. Vis, a complete hard reboot without the unpleasant elements entirely.
:roll:
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

Why didn't the "make people like and trust me" satellites work on the U.S. Prez? Or are they just not strong enough to compensate for the Master acting like that much of a jackass?
Nevix
Officer

Post by Nevix »

Ghilz wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:48 pm Woo, my three monthly requests. That trio I think is when I started falling out with New!Who

I didn't mind Simms' master, I was pretty neutral, but the entire resolution just killed me. After Last of the Time Lord I never was as much into Who again, watching the show when it was on but never actually pursuing it again. Till I left altogether during the Capaldi era. I don't bare the violent hatred for Moffat others I know have, though I think it's because my opinion of the show sort of soured early.

I do wish we'd have had more time with Derek Jacobi as the Master. He's a terrific actor and I love his transition from lovable scatterbrain Professor to menacing monster immediately.
I lost interest in the next couple of seasons after this trilogy. Actually, new series 6 is what did my fandom in. While it had some really great standout episodes, like The Doctor's Wife, a lot of it was just meh.

I forgot a lot of the episodes from the last few seasons I watched, and now I remember that a big reason I stopped watching was just how badly the writers kept breaking The Doctor down over the seasons, and how repetitive many of the episodes got when compared to prior seasons.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Sir Will wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:50 am

:roll:
Don't pull faces. If the wind changes then it will stick like that, my grandma used to say.

It is perfectly possible to not like something, and I'm allowed to have my own feelings.
Ghilz
Officer

Post by Ghilz »

I remember that early during new series 3, the interwebs figured out that Mister Saxon was gonna be the Master long before this trilogy because it's an anagram of "Master no 6", and thus there was going to be the 6th actor to play the master. And since John Simm had been announced to guest star this season, people figured out pretty early he was gonna be it.

...Only for this clue to stop making sense when John Simm, who plays Mr. Saxon, turned out to be the Seventh Actor to play the role coz RTD and his crew forgot to account for Derek Jacobi being in their own plot. In hindsight this should've been an alarm bell for this three parter.
Trooper924
Redshirt

Post by Trooper924 »

Ghilz wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:38 pm I remember that early during new series 3, the interwebs figured out that Mister Saxon was gonna be the Master long before this trilogy because it's an anagram of "Master no 6", and thus there was going to be the 6th actor to play the master. And since John Simm had been announced to guest star this season, people figured out pretty early he was gonna be it.

...Only for this clue to stop making sense when John Simm, who plays Mr. Saxon, turned out to be the Seventh Actor to play the role coz RTD and his crew forgot to account for Derek Jacobi being in their own plot. In hindsight this should've been an alarm bell for this three parter.
I thought they said that "Mister Saxon" being an anagram of "Master No. Six" was a coincidence or am I misremembering?