TOS Alternate Monster Costumes

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Deledrius
Captain

Re: TOS Alternate Monster Costumes

Post by Deledrius »

Yukaphile wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:43 pm Here's something I'd generally advise doing if I was in charge of TOS costumes - making something more like the Daleks on Doctor Who. Their design was timeless and unique. In TOS, it was mostly only ever humanoids, and more humanoids.
Somewhat ironically, the story upon which Arena is based had a much more alien creature. It's been decades since I read it, but as I recall it was a strange, somehow-living red ball/sphere creature that moved in a peculiar manner. Obviously, this would have been difficult to do convincingly with the budget on the show in a way that wouldn't have just ended up looking like a red beachball on strings... but is the Gorn that much better? I don't know. It's definitely a shame that "humanoid" was the go-to alien on TOS, because it really set the stage for the franchise in the (relative lack of) diversity of alien designs (even so far as becoming canon in "The Chase").
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I think that's another reason the Horta became so memorable - not just a strong story with a satisfying conclusion, but in that it's an alien lifeform devoid of humanoid feature, and it definitely speaks to the vast possibility of alien life. If only it would come back in Trek... no scratch that, these incompetent writers would ruin it. Refer to the Borg, the Q, and the Klingons and Nausicaans to see what I mean.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

Yukaphile wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:21 pm I think that's another reason the Horta became so memorable - not just a strong story with a satisfying conclusion, but in that it's an alien lifeform devoid of humanoid feature, and it definitely speaks to the vast possibility of alien life. If only it would come back in Trek... no scratch that, these incompetent writers would ruin it. Refer to the Borg, the Q, and the Klingons and Nausicaans to see what I mean.
I think you can add Vulcans to your list. Though I actually liked them fleshing out the Andorians a bit.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Yukaphile wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:21 pm I think that's another reason the Horta became so memorable - not just a strong story with a satisfying conclusion, but in that it's an alien lifeform devoid of humanoid feature, and it definitely speaks to the vast possibility of alien life.
I agree. And more than just being alien, it was relevant to the story itself. Perhaps a simple message, but still a meaningful one.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I'd wish for it to come back in the TNG or DS9 era, but not the reboot or STD era. Egads, imagine the horror?
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Wild_Kraken
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Wild_Kraken »

Thread moved from Video Reviews to Sci-Fi and Fantasy.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Wild_Kraken wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:03 pm Thread moved from Video Reviews to Sci-Fi and Fantasy.
Noticed the update in the Sci-Fi section and wondered both if it had been moved and subsequently why I didn't notice it shouldn't have been in the Videos section in the first place.
..What mirror universe?