What do you think Chuck rates Into Darkness?

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Yukaphile
Overlord

What do you think Chuck rates Into Darkness?

Post by Yukaphile »

And no, this isn't me bitching that he didn't rate it something - I was just surprised that he didn't, that's all, as I finally got around to watching it, and you know what? It was an epic review. I'm just curious is all. I mean, it's bad when you're saying not even Nemesis was this bad. So, would it be a 0? That would make Wrath of Khan a 10 still, so... this would be the very bottom of the list. WOW.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
clearspira
Overlord

Re: What do you think Chuck rates Into Darkness?

Post by clearspira »

Only zeros get the Xmas slot. Don't know why he didn't rate it, or why he didn't say why. Imo he just made a mistake. And personally, yep, it is the worst. I liked 5 and 10 despite their flaws.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

A 0, wow. HOLY BALLS. Something that finally outdid Nemesis!
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

..What mirror universe?
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

I just couldn't stop rolling my eyes when they tried to emulate Wrath. It just didn't work for me. Definitely the worst of the new movies. And yeah I'd rather watch Nemesis. I'd probably watch it over 1 or 5 though. I've never actually seen those ones before, but they sound bad from his reviews and I'm not overly attached to TOS.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Well how about we speculate based on reasoning in the review or otherwise why SF Debris might have given the film a zero.

Which did it worse, the shameless ripoff or Kirk's petulance?
..What mirror universe?
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

He rated NEMESIS with a 1, and called STID a worse film, so obviously it would be a 0.
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:59 am Well how about we speculate based on reasoning in the review or otherwise why SF Debris might have given the film a zero.

Judging from the review I think Kirk's petulance did more damage, and I didn't get the impression Chuck was as bothered by the recreation of the radiation chamber as much as a lot of fandom is. Execution wise, I think the scene is actually very well acted, however that's immediately ruined when followed by Spock's scream. That scream is what really hurts it for me. I can't believe Abrams really thought that scream would dramatically work.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Makeshift Python wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:45 am He rated NEMESIS with a 1, and called STID a worse film, so obviously it would be a 0.
I feel like he might have been like on a "I don't even feel the need to talk about it" kinda vibe.
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:59 am Well how about we speculate based on reasoning in the review or otherwise why SF Debris might have given the film a zero.

Judging from the review I think Kirk's petulance did more damage, and I didn't get the impression Chuck was as bothered by the recreation of the radiation chamber as much as a lot of fandom is. Execution wise, I think the scene is actually very well acted, however that's immediately ruined when followed by Spock's scream. That scream is what really hurts it for me. I can't believe Abrams really thought that scream would dramatically work.
From the review, yeah I felt it was the petulance. Of course it could be a respectful myriad of conditions.

Personally I think the whole Khan reveal and everything was purely intertextual and only meant something to Wrath of Khan fans and meant nothing in the film in itself. Could work, but I just feel the way they did it should have been based on establishment of the Kelvinverse's own work as the nondiegetic reveal music should actually signify some gravitas to the characters or at least be plot specific to the film (like knowing there's a bomb under the table or something even if the characters don't).
..What mirror universe?
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

Its kinda like the Blofeld reveal in Spectre

It only means something out of universe to the auidence... in universe He could have been named Hans
OLO for all bond cared
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."
MixedDrops
Officer

Post by MixedDrops »

I remember barely anything about Spectre, but my recollection is that at least they didn't make him go "My name is....BLOFELD." They also tried to layer it with another eye-rolling twist of Bond and Blofeld being foster siblings, but at least that qualifies as something actually relevant to Spectre as a standalone film, whereas the "My name is...KHAN" in Into Darkness has no meaning other than in a meta-textual sense, and in-universe would logically would be followed by "...okay?"

Also, while I would buy that Chuck might actually get Into Darkness a 0, I'm assuming for him it varies depending on what kind of day he's had. After all, when he gave Nemesis a 1/10, that score was already taken by STV and there was a score spot open higher up when he got around to Nemesis. I'm assuming what happened there was that when he first planned on the scores for the movies, he assigned the 1-10 scores with Nemesis higher up for what he called the "pileup for the bottom score", but when he actually got back to watching it he remembered how much he hated it, and decided to stack Nemesis along with STV.

Some kind of deal with Into Darkness, because when he first gave his thoughts on the movie, he was pretty nice to it (IIRC his opinion was along the lines of "Decent action movie, bad story, really disappointed they didn't take the chance to do something epic"). It's actually kinda interesting to contrast Chuck's initial reaction to Into Darkness with how his opinion on it has developed over the past few years.